Building a Rite Leg Walnut Slab bench

Started by WDH, January 06, 2015, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I am building a walnut slab bench using the Rite Leg Company's Alissa style bench legs.  This walnut slab is 5' long and from 14" to 16" wide.  Here is a pic of the raw slab.  It has a nice feather crotch on one end.  I de-barked the slab with a draw knife and a chisel being careful to leave the natural live edge. 

Here is the slab after some initial shaping using a jig saw set on a 30 degree angle to mimic the angle of the natural live edge. 

I was careful to leave all the knobs and protrusions on the live edge as well as the natural texture.  I also left some of the tight inner bark for contrast. 

The legs have to be leveled so that the bench will sit solidly on the floor without rocking.  To do this, you turn the slab upside down, and place the legs on the slab upside down.  Then you take two stickers and place them across the feet of each leg.  These are called winding sticks.  You sight down the sticks to see if they are exactly parallel (they never are  :)).  If not, then raise the side of the leg that is lowest so that the winding sticks are perfectly parallel.  Then measure the distance that you had to raise the leg and cut a shim to raise that side of the leg.  Now the bench will sit solidly on the floor without rocking.  Here is a pic of the winding sticks on a pecan  smiley_devil bench that I made a few days ago. 

Here is a pic of the legs attached to the bench with 1/4" lag screws.  Note the leveling shim in the foreground.

Here is the bench with just the two legs and no middle stretcher.  You can have just the two legs, or you can add a stretcher. 

I like the middle stretcher, so here is a pic with it added. 

Hind sight is 20:20.  The stretcher would look better if it had the same curve as the slab top.  Oh well, I can always replace it with a curved one  :-\. 

I put the first coat of 100% pure tung oil mixed 50:50 with mineral spirits on the top this evening.  The change is dramatic.  The oil really brings out the beauty in the walnut, especially the feather crotch.  I will take a pic of the bench when the oil finish is complete.

These legs are a pleasure to work with.  They look great, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

DanG it!! That does it!!

I'm gettin some legs... after 50 years of hanging on to this walnut slab trying to figure out how to put legs on it, and where to put it... it's getting legs. Fresh coat of Watco oil too.

Thanks Danny         Looking at the Logrite Legs, and not finding this style in the 13-14" for coffee table height. So dilemma time. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Impressive slabs, enhanced by impressive craftsmanship.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tam-i-am

Wow Danny that is a beautiful piece!  And thanks for the step by step instructions.

Beenthere - we can build them to be 14" I just need to know what color or finish you want.  Powdercoat black gloss or wrinkle or one of the platings.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

beenthere

Tamiam
8)  Then I am back in. That is great.
I'd like the same black finish as WDH, if I may. 14" Allisa style will do great.
PM details of how to make up the order.

thank you
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tam-i-am

Beenthere
your legs are built just have to go to powder coat.

Tammy

Magicman

Looks good Danny.  How thick was that Walnut slab?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

2 & 3/8" rough.  Planed out at a full 2".

scsmith42

Looking good Danny.  My legs shipped out today and I'm looking forward to putting something together with them.

I might be calling you for some design advice!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Bench is finished.  It has three coats of tung oil.  Sits very nice. 

thecfarm

Looks very nice too. That blue is different.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

Some mighty nice looking business on this thread  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jeff

Is that really blue, or just reflected light in the photograph on the dark wood that makes it look blue?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Just reflected light.  The blue would have been a nice touch, though.

This one is a little closer to the true color, but still a little reflected light blue. 

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on January 20, 2015, 08:17:33 PM
Looks very nice too. That blue is different.

I thought you were going for a Log-Rite blue finish also.
Very nice work there.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Tam-i-am