iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any one heard of the ECO SAW?

Started by doublecut, August 17, 2004, 09:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doublecut

Has anyone heard of the ECO SAW swing blade mill? This mill swings 180 degrees.
doublecut

Frank_Pender

Sounds like something the Sierra Club to develope. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :'(
Frank Pender

leweee

you mean this placehttp://members.iinet.net.au/~ecosaw ;D

NAHHHHH....never heard of dem bloks.. :D :D :D

If they want to sell them mills they need to spruce up that website or at least offer a demo video...or something ???
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Gilman

"For softer timber, 3 or 4 tip blades are recommended."

Does "tip" mean something different down under, or did they mean to say, TPI?

I understand they are metric but, "tip" tranlates to ???

FF help out here please...
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Wife

Sure have, they came on the scene after peterson as well. ::)
Based in Australia as is the Lucas. ;)
Yes the blade pivots 180 degrees. :)
has to be lowered by two winches at oppossing ends as the Lucas. :(
The side movment also requires adjusting from both ends for each board you cut. :-/
oh well, at least it has a good blade in the sense that it is a circular. ;D
The were actually called the "Lewis saw" after the gentleman who actually  patten the 180 degree pivot of the swing saw.
I dont think they are selling many now and that they have changed owners, i could be wrong but this is what I've been told.
Hope that this helps.  Chris (Husband) 8)
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Ianab

Hi Gilman

QuoteDoes "tip" mean something different down under, or did they mean to say, TPI?  

On a swing blade the saw has replaceable "tips". Usually between 4 and 8 actual cutters spaced around the outside of the blade. Actual number of cutters depends on blade size, engine horsepower, what you are cutting.. and some voodoo  :D

This is the blade on my mill, 4 tips.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gilman

doublecut

Takes far less power and cuts as smooth as with more teeth.
doublecut

Buzz-sawyer

I run a 56" blade.....but only run every other tooth...I use a worn out tooth in every other socket to carry dust..but cut with only every other.....my saw RARELY bogs down with 150 h.p engine and this tooth configeration
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Hokiemill

Sorry about taking this thread in a different direction but....

Wife-Chris-Husband, I run a lucas but long for a Peterson.  However, I think the only positive the lucas has over the Peterson is something you see as a negative and that's the vertical adjustments made at opposite ends of the log.  Yes, for a one person operation having them at the same end saves some time, but with the little bit of milling (1000 bf) I've done so far I've had someone tailing who could adjust the far end.  The big advantage as I see it is the easy adjustment of the tracks to run parallel to the pith (or parallel to the bark if you choose) without having to lift the log and use shims.  Just my two cents.  I'd be glad to help engineer a combination of the two designs for you and all I would charge is a free 8" ATS ;D

Ian and other swingers - any clever ways to help with the sawdust that gets packed tight (and I mean TIGHT) into the allen sockets of the bolts that hold the blade on?  Right now I'm just picking it out with an awl - kind of a pita.

Gilman

Hokie,
Have you tried the combo of the pick and air in a can for cleaning electronic equipment.  I dont' think there is enough pressure by itself, but with the aid of an awl I think it'd be worth a try.

Ianab

Hi Gilman
 When a circle blade is working right it will be throwing out relatively large chips instead of sawdust. Imagine each tooth as a small chisel. Rule of thumb, it takes 2 or 3 hp to drive each tooth on a circle blade. So my 8hp works fine with 4 teeth, more would just bog the saw down, scrape out finer sawdust and generally be less efficient. I'm not cutting as fast as Buzz with his 150hp, but each tooth is working in a similar manner.

Hokie
 Yes the different designs have their good and bad points depending on what you are doing. That Eco / Lewis looked like it could be very usefull on steep, uneven terrain where access was poor.
As for the Dang sawdust and sap mix that cooks into the screw holes... an awl is probably as good as anything, I use a tiny flat blade screwdriver.  Fortunately I haven't had to change blades very often, so I just sit down for a couple of minutes and pick the crud out.  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

Hokie,

With the Peterson ATS, it is easy to adjust for log taper.

All you need to do is go to the "far" end of the mill with the weight of the saw carriage on the "near" end of the mill and disengage the bar that attaches the far support.  There is a crank handle on the back side of the far support.  Turn the crank upward or downward, as necessary, in 1/4 turn increments (to re-engage with the bar).  Repeat for the other side, matching the amount moved.  Viola, taper compesated.

Much of my milling is done alone, and I find an ATS to wear much less miles on my boots than my friends Lucas.  Much much less miles with my electric winch WPF.....

Hey, you never did tell us how you and your dad made out with the lumber in Richmond.....

CAPTAIN

Arthur

Quoteyou mean this placehttp://members.iinet.net.au/~ecosaw ;D

NAHHHHH....never heard of dem bloks.. :D :D :D

If they want to sell them mills they need to spruce up that website or at least offer a demo video...or something ???

Company bought last Christmas with new web site www.ecosaw.com.  This site is still being setup as we are extreamly busy with new mills and models.

Arthur

QuoteSure have, they came on the scene after peterson as well. ::)
Based in Australia as is the Lucas. ;)
Yes the blade pivots 180 degrees. :)
has to be lowered by two winches at oppossing ends as the Lucas. :(
The side movment also requires adjusting from both ends for each board you cut. :-/
oh well, at least it has a good blade in the sense that it is a circular. ;D

The were actually called the "Lewis saw" after the gentleman who actually  patten the 180 degree pivot of the swing saw.
I dont think they are selling many now and that they have changed owners, i could be wrong but this is what I've been told.
Hope that this helps.  Chris (Husband) 8)

You need to get your facts right.

The Lewisaw patent was registered 4 days before the peterson one.  David Lewis still holds the patent and we hold the copyrights on these mills.  Lucas is a basic copy of the peterson.

As manual operated portable sawmills go the EcoSaw is the ONLY one which complies with Australian Safety standards for wood processing machinery.  In a recent tender peterson actually admitted this.

if you look up your local or federal regulation you will probably find this true in your area as well.

Arthur

QuoteHi Gilman

On a swing blade the saw has replaceable "tips". Usually between 4 and 8 actual cutters spaced around the outside of the blade. Actual number of cutters depends on blade size, engine horsepower, what you are cutting.. and some voodoo  :D

This is the blade on my mill, 4 tips.

Ian

I have to agree and disagree with you.  Normal blades I agree but we are testing progressive cut technology which uses 3 to 4 times the number of teeth.  It allows a smaller curf (4mm) and gives a cut almost to dressed wood quality and actually cuts faster.

We are just testing to distruction at the moment.  I hope that the technology will reduce wood waste and increase wood production for the portable sawmills.

As portable sawmill operators we should be working together against the large sawmills who are destroying a valuable resource.

Arthur

QuoteSorry about taking this thread in a different direction but....

Wife-Chris-Husband, I run a lucas but long for a Peterson.  However, I think the only positive the lucas has over the Peterson is something you see as a negative and that's the vertical adjustments made at opposite ends of the log.  Yes, for a one person operation having them at the same end saves some time, but with the little bit of milling (1000 bf) I've done so far I've had someone tailing who could adjust the far end.  The big advantage as I see it is the easy adjustment of the tracks to run parallel to the pith (or parallel to the bark if you choose) without having to lift the log and use shims.  Just my two cents.  I'd be glad to help engineer a combination of the two designs for you and all I would charge is a free 8" ATS ;D

Ian and other swingers - any clever ways to help with the sawdust that gets packed tight (and I mean TIGHT) into the allen sockets of the bolts that hold the blade on?  Right now I'm just picking it out with an awl - kind of a pita.

Not supprised that Lucas didnt tell you how to use your mill, typical.

As the Lucas is just a copy of the Peterson and the sawblade is a copy of the original from David Lewis its quite simple. You need to blueprint the Lucas and set the blade to correct alignment and this wont happen to you.  This does however cost $Ks and most Lucas dealers dont know how to do it.

A cheap option is to fill the bolts with something easy to remove

Ianab

Welcome to the forum Arthur

Good to have another Australasian on board  :)

I hadn't actually heard of your mill before this post was started, but it does look like a good piece of gear. Let us know how your thin kerf ideas work out. I know Peterson are testing new blades with the same aim, more speed / less waste. My post was related to existing technology, doesn't mean it cant be done better.

Cheers

Ian

TN_man

I too want to welcome you aboard Arthur. It will be good to get some info straight from the horse's mouth. ;) I am in the market for a swingblade mill and had never heard of the ecosaw until this thread. We are try to develope a niche market in our area to get those hard to get to logs and some logs that may be unwanted by the bigger guys (ie. tree-cycling). I understand your website is still under construction. Some more pictures would be one suggestion as I would like to check it out more. Price is always a big consideration when buying a mill. That would be why I would tend toward a Lucas right now. Are you going to be at any expos here in the States any time soon?  Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Wife

mmm.. :P, yep, my facts are right.
Are yours??
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

NZJake

Do I know of the Lewis saw, yep, I got to see one up close at "Austimber".

Arther, I introduced myself to you the day before the show, you showed me around your mill. I asked you if you built a 10" model and you said that it could not be done due to the giroscopic forces or something to that effect. Anyhow welcome to the forum.

I checked out your site and it does look alot better than the earlier one. However 'ORIGINAL PORTABLE SAWMILL'. The statement seems very strong coming from a 14 year old saw design? Anyway all to there own I guess.

To truly discover who came up with what first you'll need to do a little digging, the truth is out there! "If you really care?".

By the way it's Kiwijake here, I had some problems with my user name when logging in. This topic had driven me to register again. By the way I'm still cuttin' hay with my super thinkerf blade, hopefully I'll get some more pics this weekend on the job. Chears.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Arthur

jeff

Lindsay from D&L Double Cut Sawmills has taken on the manufacture of our mills underlicence for America and invited me to the Sun Belt AgriTrade Expo, Georgia 19 to 21 October to show the EcoSaw Product.  If you want to see how to get the most out of a one man mill come and see us.

Id be happy to get you intimate with our mills.  Its like a high power quality car.  Once used you  can still use others but always want to use the best.  Those who havnt used dont know any better.

Thats why I bought the company.

Lindsey doesnt know this yet but we have just developed the Compact which has a 4" cut and is lessthan 120kg.  With double cut can cut 8" x 4". designed to mill those tree crowns left behind by the clear fellers.

arthur

Hokiemill

Captain

Funny you should bring up the wood from Richmond.  I culled out about 200 bf of the prettiest FAS qtr & rift sawn red oak you can get.  My dad came up that evening and hauled off a truck load of wood.  A few people were standing around looking like they wanted some so we left the pile.  Dad went back the next morning and it was all still there so he hauled the rest of it  off in two more truck loads - maybe a total of 1000 to 1500 bf.  He just used some of the oak this past week to rebuild a set of stairs and front porch at his place on the Rappahannock River.   He was very appreciative for the boards.

Arthur_Dyason

Welcome to the forum.  Nice to have more of us circle guys.  To straighten this out, I bought my mill used so Lucas didn't even have a chance to tell me "how to use my mill".  Based on everything I've read in the Lucas manual and on this forum from the Peterson guys, my setup is correct.  It's not a giant issue and I tend to believe that regardless of how the blade is set you're still going to get dust packed in the bolts.  Next time I switch blades I will try to pack some wax in there and see if that helps.

TN_Man

As a Lucas owner, I would suggest you take a closer look at the Peterson.  The price between the Lucas and ATS of the same size is not very different.  But I think it would be money well spent (if it can be found).  After a recent, long day of milling  with a couple of friends I was keenly aware of the benefits the extra dollars would buy you.  Sawing with a swinger is all about getting into a rhythm with your motions - adjust horizontal motion stop block, unlock carriage, slide to the new position, lock the carriage, make first cut, swing blade, make second cut, swing blade back, start over.  I think that locking, moving sideways, and swinging the Peterson are all substantially easier than the Lucas and as such would increase your speed and reduce your fatigue.  I'll give the details if interested.

My two cents.

Hokiemill

Captain

One more thing.  I didn't know about the additional adjustment method of the Peterson for leveling with the log - thanks for the info.  Now, if I were to create a spec for the perfect ATS redesign I would want this adjustment feature, but with a crank so you don't have to move the carriage to the other end.  The way I do it now is really quite quick - move the carriage to one end, measure from pith to the bottom of the carriage, move the carriage to the other end, hold the tape measure to the pith and carriage and have someone crank the track until the dimension is met.   If I could just have it all I would be a happy man.

Buzz-sawyer

Gotta love all you good folks south of the equator.........but there is no need to start dueling , eh? 8)

There is plenty of room for ALL of us including large mill owners, small mills swing mills non swingers....you get the idea , we are all here to enjoy what we have in common right?
I want to hear more from all of you ......any Tassie's out there to fill the bill?? ;) :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

leweee

Welcome  aboard Arthur. On most threads I feel invisable here. ;D Glad to see I got your attention! .I'll bet your tweeken that website as we speak.A demo tape or video clip of that mill in action stating it's advantages will go a long ways in promoting your product. Trust me! As they say down under G'day!  
  :)leweee
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Captain

I agree, Hokie.  The Lucas is faster for adjusting to taper.  I do find, however with the quality of my logs, I put the bad face up (usually) and take out the taper in the bad face.  Then just keep cutting down to the good face.

I'm gonna need some pics of the projects you and your dad are up to, ya know.

Captain

Jeff

QuoteGotta love all you good folks south of the equator.........but there is no need to start dueling , eh? 8)

There is plenty of room for ALL of us including large mill owners, small mills swing mills non swingers....you get the idea , we are all here to enjoy what we have in common right?
I want to hear more from all of you ......any Tassie's out there to fill the bill?? ;) :D

Buzz, thanks, you saved me from the struggle to find the right words.

Like Buzz says, and I'll add, The Forestry Forum has no borders and no Bias. It's members enjoy good conversation in a tension free atmosphere. Just a word to let ya'll know that nothing has changed and nothing will change. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Hot DanG. Another Swinger in Moultrie.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Arthur

Hokiemill

dont mean to trash compeditors machines its just we have made more money this year blueprinting Lucas Mills that wont work properly than promoting our own.  Now that our prototyping is complete I have no time to do this so have passed the knowledge on to a local engineer.

If a miller has already spent his money on another machine best to get him working as good as he can.

If your using wax Id be using the hard candle type wax as the soft beeswax just either rips out or melts. at least you can get the nuts out.

let us know how you go with it. works on the EcoSaw.

Arthur

Captain

If you want to see just how fast tappered logs and double cuts(backcuts) can be done come down to the Sun Belt AgriTrade Expo, Georgia,USA 19 to 21 October.  

I have been invited to do demos on the EcoSaw product range and would be happy for any of you to become intimate with our mills.  

Once intimate it grows under your skin and eventually like me you become totally hooked by it.

I dont need to mill but each of our mills are tested for correct allignment and working before shipment and I always look forward to starting the first cut.

Hammy

G'day TN_Man,

Just thought you might be interested to know Petersons will in your neck of the woods, holding a Demo Day in Tennessee on Saturday 16th October. The location is in Fairview, TN which is about 18m from Nashville. Not sure how far this is from you but we would sure welcome you to come along for the day. If you would like more information drop me a line. It will be a great chance to see the mills up close, cut a few boards plus we will have special prices on the demo units.

I'm looking forward to some Dr Pepper.......(don't have it in NZ)
C. Hammond
Petersons

Fla._Deadheader

G'day Arthur. Could you give a brief description of "Blueprinting " ???

Oh yeah, welcome to the Forum.  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Arthur

leweee

We have an old Lewisaw video which has been digitised.

I hope that I can get into town to upload to our website via a fast link.

Our national Telco is somewhat so in providing fast links to the country areas so as we get a 4K upload speed 20minutes of video takes some days to upload.  Be there as soon as we can.

send you a CD if you email me your details

Hammy

Hey Arther,

You gonna take that mill of yours to the next shoot out?
C. Hammond
Petersons

Arthur

QuoteG'day Arthur. Could you give a brief description of "Blueprinting " ???

Oh yeah, welcome to the Forum.  :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

what we do is takeout the slack in the Lucas manufacturing.  without going to deep the drive line gets tightend, we replace the running gear with tighter adjustments, reengineer the boss and basically bring it up to the Peterson quality of engineering (as its basically just a plastic copy).

Still has its limitations but you can at least cut true boards.  You may however be lucky as some of the Lucas Mills need very little modification and some need lots.  Its the Quality control that does it.

Some companies like us test each mill before shipment.  Its the quality control and engineering that cost the extra money.

Arthur

QuoteHey Arther,

We are trying to get a challenge going to show just what the mills can do.  If you all want I will start a new Subject with the challenge and see what happens

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for the brief info, Arthur. Really appreciate it. It's always good to know what takes place with all these mills.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

Thanks for the invitation Arthur.  Believe me, I'll be there.  I've been planning on this one since January. (check SHOWS, EVENTS and PLACES TO MEET) Just may be dragging a couple of Kiwis along as well.  

Captain

TN_man

Thanks guys for the dates. I am interested in seeing both mills although Moultrie is a bit of a drive for me. I would have to plan a vaction for that one ::). Keep up the competetion because it makes for a better saw in the long run. Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Arthur

QuoteHey Arther,

They will need logs like this just to start the interest for me

sawmillsi

Hi Arthur,

Simon Ceglinski from Mullumbimby Woodworks here (Australian Agent) - you know, the big fella (I was going to put hairy, but your more hairy than me :D) from Mullum. We spoke at Austimber and again at Primex.

I'm glad that you have finally got your new Stainless Steel model up and running (at Austimber you didn't have it ready - only an older model and at primex all you had were the new rails).

Its good to see this subject getting such good response - can only be good for us swing millers generally!

About the patents, I was doing some digging and couldn't help noticing that David Lewis applied for his patent way back on the 19th of May 1988. Thats a long time to be making mills, but when you use the phrase "The Lewisaw patent was registered 4 days before the peterson one." I have to disagree.

Carl Peterson applied for 2 patents on the 22 December 1987.

BUT, thats not the point. These Peterson patents are no longer applicable as we have moved onto bigger and better things and are happy abou that.

I personally think that all sawmills are good in some way or another. I just think that Petersons are better than most (I'm a bit biased though).

If you want, email me personally and I can clarify any issues you have (send to simon_ceglinski@mullum.com.au).

Happy milling all!

Si

PS. Arthur, I wrote that tender you talked about, and we did not claim that we met the requirements of AS1473-1:2000 - Wood Processing Machinery – Safety. Primary Timber Milling Machinery and the Occupational Health and Safety (Commonwealth Employee) Act No 30 of 1991 (Sections 18 and 19). We claimed to have exceeded it and were able to provide substantial documentary evidence to back this up with.

jaytee

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to post a few pictures of the EcoSaw cutting a 42-inch pecan log for those of you that might be interested. I sell planers but get to enjoy the sawmills from time to time.

This picture is of a pecan tree that was blown down during Katrina. Because of the size it was destined for the firewood pile until Mr. Lee called us. We carried the EcoSaw to his place and were able to mill the log into 494 bf. of beautiful 1x6 and 1x8  lumber.

The log was so heavy Mr. Lee had just managed to push it away from the stump with his tractor. We tried to roll it over but had no success so we milled it where it lay. For those of you not familiar with pecan, it is related to hickory and has the same weight and hardness rating.

The log was lower at the butt end because of a knot holding the other end up. This was easy to overcome with the EcoSaw, even with the rails running downhill the saw head was no problem to push back the other way.

Making the 8-inch cut coming back.

The log had beautiful grain because of the knots.

Some of the 6-inch boards we cut.

Half way through the log. After cutting 1x8's across the log our only regret was that we did not have the slabbing unit. At this point we could have cut a full 37 inches wide the length of the log. It would have made a great table.

A great stack of lumber that almost went up in smoke.

Jeff

Horible way to welcome you to the forum  jaytee, by removing your photos, but I sent you a personal message on it so you know what it up.  We have some rules in place on posting photos. We sure want to see them once you can get them in the Forestry Forum gallery.

Link to photo instructions
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12416.0

Furby

Welcome jaytee!
I got to see the pics before they were removed, and sure hope you take the time to upload them as I KNOW lots of folks would like to see those pics! NICE lumber! 8)

jaytee

I got the pictures uploaded. Sorry about that.

Johnny

Furby

smiley_thumbsup
What is the planned use for the lumber?
It sure would have made a real NICE table slab!

jaytee

Mr. Lee is giving it to his daughter and I'm not sure what she will do with it.
I hope he puts a lot of weight on it after he stacks it.  I would hate for the boards to dry all warped.

Johnny

chet

Great bunch of pics Jaytee, and welcome to da Forestry Forum.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ianab

Welcome Jaytee and thanks for taking the time with the pics.

Thats sort of log is what swingblades do best eh  ;D

Cheers

Ian

Jeff

Hurray! Great pictures jaytee! Thanks for the understanding and getting the photos in the Gallery. I can point to this thread now to others and say SEE! this guy did it on his very first post!

Aren't you guys the Georgia based Doublecut distributers?

jaytee

Thanks guys for all the comments. I guess I inherited my love for beautiful wood from my dad. He was a carpenter and could walk a track of land and tell you how much timber it had on it without measuring a single tree. Never did figure out how he did that.

Ian,
Your right about swingblades doing the big logs best

Furby,
I really hate we couldn't cut a table slab for the family. I was thinking it would have been great to make the table and put glass over it then put little bits of family history on paper pointing to the growth ring that corresponded to the history date. Maybe next time.

Jeff,
We are out of Alabama and distribute the EcoSaw in the US for Lindsay at D&L.

Johnny

Fla._Deadheader

No way to flip that log over, huh ??  Too bad, that's pretty wood.

Welcome to the Forum.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Part_Timer

glad to see it's not firewood

WELCOME to the forum
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

doublecut

Me wants some of that wood for my floor. Nice grain. Showed my wife and now since I'm heading to alabama on monday I'm supposed to figure out how to get it back with me on the plane.  As much as she wants  doubt the plane would ever get off the ground.
doublecut

jaytee

The stack of lumber in the picture weighs about 2600 lbs. according to the Forestry Forum calculator. https://forestryforum.com/calcs/weight.htm

A little to heavy to put in your carry-on I think. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!