iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speaking of big ones...

Started by scsmith42, January 06, 2015, 02:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

A couple of months ago FF member Frank Seaforth called me and told me that he was passing along a slabbing opportunity for a 203" circumference black walnut that was practically in my back yard.

8)  8)  8)     THANKS FRANK!!!!!!

After speaking with the owner's rep, turns out that the tree was black oak.....  ::) and it was larger than 203"  :D

The tree was located at a local college in an inner court yard, and was dying.  Unfortunately no way to get a crane, or even a trailer into the courtyard.  Fortunately the skid steer and the backhoe could be threaded through one entryway; otherwise it would have been very difficult for me to tackle this project.  The college hired a tree service company to remove the canopy and drop the log for us.

Normally I prefer to bring large logs to the mill, as it is easier having all of the support equipment available.  In this instance it wasn't an option so we loaded up the slabber and took it to the log.

After mobilizing the equipment we trimmed the 32' log into a couple of 13'7" ones.  Both logs were over 75" at their widest points so we had to do a little trimming in order to get them within my 72" max cut. 

We used the skid steer to roll them apart and set up the slabber and commenced milling.  Due to the height of the log, we slabbed 20" off in the first pass and set it aside for later re-slabbing.  Talk about a dancing skid steer! We had to sling it in order to get the CG a few feet behind the back of the forks. 

After taking a 7-1/2" and a few 4-1/2" slabs off of the log we placed the 20" slab back on and milled it into 4-1/2" ones.  After that we started on the second log and then placed the bottom portion of the first log onto it for finishing.  I designed my slabber primarily for quartering 40" logs, or cutting larger ones into thirds for subsequent reprocessing on Tom, so there are a few idiosyncrasies that we have to work around when slabbing.

Many of the slabs had some really nice color and spalting:

Getting the slabs out of the courtyard was a challenge (the smallest ones weighed 2,200 lbs and the largest ones over 4000 lbs).  Finally we tried wheeling them out like a wheelbarrow with a hand truck under one end and the skid steer under the other.  We trashed the hand truck but got them all out.

Here is the final result; I think that it was worthwhile.  They have been treated with Timbor and placed in the air drying barn.  Looks like it will be a few years before I can recover the investment, but I hope that these will turn out to be something special.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

:o WOW :o

That is a purdy big slab!  And purdy, too! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kelLOGg

Nice, Scott. How many trips did it take to haul the slabs back home? Is that Elon U.?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

cbla

wow! that's impressive. beautiful looking slab.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Seaman

Nice job Scott, I'll be down in a couple of years to pick up my finders fee ! ;D ;D ;D

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

Nice Scott.  I see a corporate conference table.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

this one qualifies for sure!  good job on getting in and getting out!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Scott, you never cease to amaze me.  It would be worth a trip just to see those  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Better get a cap on that bald head.Ax me how I know.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Quote from: Magicman on January 06, 2015, 07:46:51 AM
Exactly what I see, too. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

Beautiful wood right there, Scott!

Job well done!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

78NHTFY

Truly impressive--a job like that separates the real pros from the wanna-me's :D :D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

fishpharmer

Where there's a will there's a way. Is not just a cliche. :)

Impressive!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

GAmillworker

That is amazing.

I hope my willow oak will produce a slab or 2 that nice.
Thank the Lord for second chances

slider

I would like to see more of how you store those big slabs .Nice job.
al glenn

mad murdock

Those are some real nice pieces!! anyone take the opportunity to count rings on that tree? I be it has been there for a few days!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

scsmith42

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 06, 2015, 05:18:28 AM
Nice, Scott. How many trips did it take to haul the slabs back home? Is that Elon U.?
Bob

Bob, two trips for slabs, and two trips to demobe the sawmill, skid steer and backhoe.  All in all 6 trips.

The log came from Meredith College.

scsmith42

Quote from: Seaman on January 06, 2015, 06:36:27 AM
Nice job Scott, I'll be down in a couple of years to pick up my finders fee ! ;D ;D ;D

FRank

:D  Thanks again for the referral!

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2015, 07:55:18 AM
Scott, you never cease to amaze me.  It would be worth a trip just to see those  ;D.

Thanks Danny.  I just figure that I'm "channeling my inner Jake" when I tackle a project like this!   :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on January 06, 2015, 07:46:51 AM

Yeah, me too.  When I look at the slab pile I hope that I see about 16 corporate conference tables, and two Roubo workbenches!  :D

scsmith42

Quote from: drobertson on January 06, 2015, 07:54:40 AM
this one qualifies for sure!  good job on getting in and getting out!

It was interesting maneuvering around and trying not to damage anything. 

We tried several different ways to get the slabs out, including having the backhoe on one end and the skid steer on the other (that was some interesting synchronization going around corners and up and down ramps....), and also moved several by picking up one end with the backhoe forks and then running a sling to the other end.  We ended up doing that after the hand truck died of fright!

scsmith42

Quote from: GAmillworker on January 06, 2015, 01:35:53 PM
That is amazing.

I hope my willow oak will produce a slab or 2 that nice.

It ought to.  Good luck milling it!

scsmith42

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. 

Slider, I'll snap some pix and post them soon.

Mad M - it wasn't that old - something like 80 years or so.  The University has some photo's dating back to the early 1900's when the dorms were built and the tree was just a little thing back then.

Thank You Sponsors!