iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Empire Farm Days

Started by Teddles, August 16, 2004, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddles

Did anyone make it over to Empire Farm Days??

Anything new come out of there this year?  ???

RacinRex

I was over there and didn't see much new in the way of mills. My wife and I had a great time though. We live just 20 miles or so south of there so we try to make it up every year.

Just recieved our first mill last night and we are waiting to put it to work.

81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Teddles

So what type of mill do you get?

What are you milling at the moment?

RacinRex

We have a Simplicity Bandsaw that was designed and built by a guy here in Upstate NY. I have not sawn a board with it yet but we did saw some at the manufacturer's facility with this saw and it did fairly well... two oak logs and two Hemlock logs. Hopefully we'll get a chance here in four or five weeks to start in on some of our Timber. I have quite a bit of work to do on the house to get it to a point that we can actually stay in it and work on it. Once we get into the house we are going to be sawing a bunch of Oak and Maple as that will comprise our floors and cabinets. It is our full intention to have everything that is wooden inside the house be something that we felled, milled and hand crafted. A ton of work? you bet... well worth the effort? depends on your outlook and what you enjoy doing. :-) I LOVE WOOD!!!!!
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Pete J

Captain and I were there displaying LogRite Tools and Peterson Sawmills. It was a far better turnout than we expected. The show was huge in terms of the acres and acres of displays. The fact that they had hundreds of acres of "practice corn" was amazing. I guess if you're trying to sell a big $$$$ New Holland or Deere combine machine, the farmer wants to see it run.

We demoed the Peterson on some free logs that our buddy Nelson had. When he showed up with a truckload of the rattiest looking logs, we realized why they were free. He told us they had been down on the ground for over 10 years. Once we opened them up, we saw that they were Elm tree's with a beatiful colored grain. It turns out the were called Spalted Elm and the boards were selling at $7.00 per board ft.
By the way, I found a new thing I don't like. Working at a trade show, outdoors, standing under a tent when the thunder and lightning flare up. When one bolt hit a little too close, probably a mile away, I took the opportunity to jump in the truck and read the newspaper.

Ianab

QuoteI found a new thing I don't like. Working at a trade show, outdoors, standing under a tent when the thunder and lightning flare up
I took the opportunity to jump in the truck and read the newspaper

Probably a good idea...especially when the product you are demonstrating is a 6ft long aluminium rod  :o

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!