Why we're blue

Started by Tam-i-am, January 05, 2015, 10:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Here's what happens when you can't see your cant hook.

Kevin had his cant hook leaning on the log pile while cutting firewood.  It slipped and fell while Kevin was cutting. He didn't notice it fall and he sliced right into it.  I suspect if it was blue he might have noticed it.  Blue is not a color occurring in nature so it is more visible.  Unlike yellow and orange!

But I have another theory of why he cut that tool - everyone seems to have their favorite style:  Kevin prefers a peavey while I prefer a cant hook, so I think he did it in hopes I would take out a peavey to use. ;D

For inquiring minds: 
-this damage is not covered under the warranty
-there was no damage to the chain as the handle is made of aluminum
-this is one thing I will not let Kevin forget :D
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Magicman

No doubt in my mind that you have a welder that can fix that in a jiffy.

How 'bout if I traded you Pat's Christmas bowl and pitcher that I just knocked off of the table??  Can't weld them suckers back together.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

post this in the sawmill section for the guys sawing into their mills to see.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

The guys in the sawmill section need to get out of there if they are that pigeon holed. If you only visit part of the forestry forum, I guarantee you have missed something in another area you would have love to have seen.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I've just seen a smurf crossed with an ewok. Do I need to see any more than that? :D

I always go to unread posts. That way I get everything the Forum has to offer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WmFritz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 05, 2015, 05:53:34 PM

I always go to unread posts. That way I get everything the Forum has to offer.

Me too Dave.
Plus I wouldn't want to miss a good recipe.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

fishpharmer

Tamiam, blue makes sense. Now I know.

Quote from: Magicman on January 05, 2015, 02:51:21 PM
How 'bout if I traded you Pat's Christmas bowl and pitcher that I just knocked off of the table??  Can't weld them suckers back together.   :-\

I'd wager she won't forget that either ;) :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I noticed her Googling them.  A new Blue Logrite cant hook would have been much less expensive, plus you can roll a log with it.  Logs make much less noise rolling than heads.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Swatson

Quote from: Magicman on January 05, 2015, 10:42:45 PM
I noticed her Googling them.  A new Blue Logrite cant hook would have been much less expensive, plus you can roll a log with it.  Logs make much less noise rolling than heads.  :o
At least you know a good sawyer.  You can make your doghouse real comfy till the storm blows over.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Tam-i-am

Magic Man sorry about the bowl.  Hope the dog house is comfy! :D

I would not try to weld that hole closed.  Kevin will just use it until it fails then replace it with another.  I am curious how long he can work with it.  We get tools back from a certain group of people who are rough on our tools.  Big chunks of aluminum missing from the collars, or aluminum tube worn/shaved off down to less than half as when it was new.

thecfarm

I like the blue idea. I have gone out and painted my log stops on my sawmill blue so I will not saw into them again. Thanks for the tip.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

I wonder if for testing purposes you might prefer to weld the handle and see how the fix holds up? Is repair part of the companies repertoire?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Jeff

I'm pretty sure logrite has no interest in repairing tools.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

If they need to be repaired, then somebody needs to stop running over them with a bulldozer, or sawing them in half. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tam-i-am

Quote from: r.man on January 07, 2015, 10:19:15 PM
I wonder if for testing purposes you might prefer to weld the handle and see how the fix holds up? Is repair part of the companies repertoire?

Aluminum is interesting stuff to weld as it can weaken it.  I would not want to fill that much in.
Besides we have a shelf of them ready for use. ;D

DeerMeadowFarm

I like the blue idea as well. I am going to paint my choker chains blue.

square1

QuoteBlue is not a color occurring in nature so it is more visible

:D :D :D

Dave Shepard

There aren't too many Blue Footed... well, there aren't any birds with blue feet around here. :D

gfadvm

i just ordered (and received) my YELLOW 78 1/2" Logrite. Is it aluminum?  It is HEAVY!!!

Tam-i-am

Quote from: gfadvm on February 05, 2015, 09:16:33 PM
i just ordered (and received) my YELLOW 78 1/2" Logrite. Is it aluminum?  It is HEAVY!!!

Sorry been trying to shovel out of all the snow but back now.

yes, the handle is all aluminum!

Tam-i-am

Quote from: square1 on February 05, 2015, 12:49:18 PM
QuoteBlue is not a color occurring in nature so it is more visible

:D :D :D

okay, you got me there.  I guess they can't hide too many places!

Jeff

Robin eggs are blue too.

Tam-i-am

Wow tough crowd!  I guess I could have been more specific.  Logrite blue is not the color of grass, leaves, trees, wood, rocks or natural items where you would most likely use our tools.

I liked the customer I had today - he requested we make his Xtreme handle blue because he paints all his things blue, so if we didn't he was going to do it anyway.  He told me he even took apart his little tractor so he could paint it blue  ;)

DeerMeadowFarm

Tractors should be red, but I did take your advice and painted my choker chains blue. If the snow ever stops and I can get back to cutting I'll try them out!