iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still Winter

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2002, 01:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

O.K., who out there really can give Steve "Mr. Hawaii", any pity whatsoever? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I feel sorry for him,  I do.  Florida is the place to be. We just had 4 inches of rain dumped on us one day and then the weather took an immediate turn, went into the 30's and some folks saw snow flurries. The weather people said it was a cold front that came over from Mexico.(? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? )  Mexico ?  ? ?

The best thing about Florida, Steve, is that when it gets so bad that I can't stand it anymore I can drive over into Georgia or alabama.  If it really gets bad, I can go to S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Tennessee or Missisippi.  That's the thing to do when the Hurricanes come. :D

When it got too cold for me, I used to go to South Florida to warm up but I don't speak the language anymore. :D

L. Wakefield

Today the cows were headed out the driveway in a big way- enough so that I got to see both my buddy the deputy sheriff and my other buddy the animal control officer :D :D :D  . Tom, the animal control officer, is such a card! My puppy Franklin was barking at him and Tom sez- 'Don't bark at me! Don't you know who I AM?!' I told him Frank was utd on his shots..

So I went down back and fixed some fence. The pasture is open ground and the permafrost (well I guess it's only semi-permafrost) was CREAKING under foot, just below the surface. Some of the moss and grass is GREEN- looked like late spring but that ground walks weird.

The cows will have to drink out of the vernal pool right now. They'll be all bummed out cuz they've had crickwater all winter. The swamp isn't quite the same. It filled up QUICK with that last rain. I'd waited all winter to see if the skating pond project was pruned back level- and all I had was a dry hole, and then a dry hole with snow. After Sunday there was 12" plus water in there. Now there's ice on it but i was able to break thru, and if I can do it, the cows will have NO problem.

I have to work tomorrow days and I don't want the cows bothering the neighbors. It's just TOO civilized for that around here.  :-[   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Frank_Pender

Well, I recon it is not really Spring here in the Willamette Valley, as yet.  I awoke this morning to three inches of snow everywhere.  Probably not much on the valley floor, about 800 feet lower.  the pussy willows came out two three weeks ago, now.  I just planted 50 Western Hemlock as a see if they gorw well here experiment day before yesterday. I   was hoping for no more heavy frosts of any kind. Oh, well, I can plant some more. :D :D 8) Swinging the hoedad is so much fun.   :-/
Frank Pender

Texas Ranger

THATS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE SOUTH. 8)

We had winter this year, got under 30 twice.  75-80 predicted today.  Rain tomorrow, but we are semi tropical so we can always use some.

Ah, just basking in the sun, bar b q tonight with friends, sit around the patio, cook some dead cow, drink some malted beverage or other, complain about the weath, and thank God I left Missouri.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bibbyman

The great thing about Missouri weather is that if you don't like it, wait five minutes and it will change.  I've seen it about like anywhere else in the country on any given day.

Don,  I've seen some statistics that show that your leaving Missouri actually raised the IQ level of both states! :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

Bibbyman, it only takes 3 minutes in Minnesota for the weather to change.   :D

It rained last night at +28 degrees. Solid thick ice on everything this morning.  Supposed to get more ice tonight and then maybe some snow.  ??? ???

Sure wish I could see some green grass about now.  I hankerin' to see Oak and Maple leaves and GREEN Grass. :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Bibbyman, probably raised the average income in both states as well, could not find a job in Mo when I tried looking, found a quick one down here and never looked back.  Still miss Mo, but since my folks died have no reason to go back.

Remember those days fishing on the Jacks Fork, Current and white.  Kill my first deer in Mo in 1966 and received news paper coverage since it was the first one killed (Legally) in that county in decades.  Rabbit hunter growing up, quail, etc.  Different down here but suppose you remember the stuff as a kid in a different light.  

Bibbyman

I was 10 in 1960 when I was out in the woods about a 100 yards behind our house building a stick fort when a deer about ran over me. :o  It was being chased by some dogs.  I ran to the house in a panic to tell my folks who didn't believe me.  Within a year or two, we saw more deer so my early sighting gained credibility.

Deer had been introduced a few years earlier and in a couple of years, they opened a bucks-only season.  Kills were so few,  if you got one, you'd call the conservation agent to come out and check it.

We now have so many that last season that each hunter in our area was given three tags - one anydeer and two doe tags.  And that was just for regular gun season.  More could be taken in archery and muzzle loading season.  In total,  Mary, son Chris and myself bagged 8 deer last fall.  

Don, I've traveled quite a bit in Texas.  Both on businesses trips and vacations.  I can loosely say I've seen much of it except the gulf coast, Houston  and Big Bend areas.  I've spent weeks at a time in Dallas and Austin areas, driven across the panhandle a couple of ways,  driven from El Paso to Texarkanha.  One place I could probably stand to live in would be in Crockett County, TX. around Nacogdoches.  But I've not been there in the summer months.  I figured the heat and humidity would be exceedingly bad.

One odd thing about Texas,  it's hard to find a native Texacan.  Everywhere you went people would ask you "Where are you from?".  I say Missouri,  they get all excited and say "Well, I'm from Chacgha! (Chicago)".  Finally one evening a little gall asked "Where y-all from?".  I said "Finally!  A Texas accent!"  she got all embarrassed and turned the accent off just like that.

Then there were the people in the hotel that would do housekeeping.  I'd ask them to come back later and all they would do is stand there with a puzzled look and say "K".   :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

:-/ I went to Alabama one time. :-/

swampwhiteoak

Current River, Mo.  
I got a decent story about that river.  I'll post it in the funny story thread when I get some time.  Nice country as I remember it although I haven't been there in a number of years.

Texas Ranger

Bibbyman, all of us ran south because of all that *DanG snow!

Nachodoches has moderate summer weather, we are about 70 miles south of there, and have sub tropical.  Daughter in Nacodoches thee years now and you can feel it cool down going north.  Gulf coast is oppressive in the summer.  I have had hotter days in Missouri than in Nachodoches.  Austin has the best of the weather, but the cedar pollen is rough on everybody.

DanG

Speakin' of wierd weather;  Two days ago we were waking up to temps in the upper teens, here in N Fla.  Yesterday evening, I was working late, just before dark, and was eaten alive by mosquitos!  Today, it got so hot, you could break a sweat just standing around.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Don't like the weather?  Just wait a few minutes. :D

A couple of days ago I had a fire going in the fireplace and today it was so hot I almost melted.  My face and arms are sunburned and my boots are wet.

Don't you just love Florida?

Jeff

Last weekend was the storm that dropped 16 inces of snow. 2 says later we got 4 more. Last night it began raining, and rained all night. I got up this morning and watched the lightning across the snow. Ya know, I think thunder is not near an ominous when you have all that snow. It happens so rarely during snow time you think its not real.
It is also 49 degrees. really weird.

Don P

What's the old saw? ::)
"Thunder in winter, snow within the week?"
Our foundation work up north screeched to a halt but its been warm enough for me to fiberglass the motorhome the last 2 days. I took the high road back from a resin run yesterday, our hill's the one in the middle. The temptation of spring.

Tom

.............and I bet those contrails are from planes going to Atlanta and Dallas. :D

Those big ole' mountains are pretty.  I like to visit them in the early summer when everything is so green, wet and alive.  :)

L. Wakefield

QuoteI just planted 50 Western Hemlock as a see if they gorw well here experiment day before yesterday. I   was hoping for no more heavy frosts of any kind. Oh, well, I can plant some more. Swinging the hoedad is so much fun.

So is that the make a tiny hole and stick in a tiny seedling and tamp it with your heel method? I've heard about it but haven't done it yet. My plantings have been more of the make a 2' hole, fill it with all kindsa goodstuff, water daily and break yer back if you do more than 12 in a day.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

Well, our thunder and rain from this morning has turned in to a blizzard warning for much of the state tonight. You can't see but just the other side of the window...

RavioliKid

This weather is really wild!

It was raining really hard this morning - a "fish drowner" my father called it.

By three o'clock, the temperature had dropped to about 30 and the snow was starting to stick. The wind is really strong, and the big, old trees around the house are really groaning.

I'm ready for spring... ;D
RavioliKid

Don P

So is that the make a tiny hole and stick in a tiny seedling and tamp it with your heel method? I've heard about it but haven't done it yet. My plantings have been more of the make a 2' hole, fill it with all kindsa goodstuff, water daily and break yer back if you do more than 12 in a day.  

Yup, but they wanted you to stoop 3000 times per day six days...I never was much more than a 2500 planter ???
Early Easter this year, usually means an early spring. 8)

Bud Man

Don P   Spent the summer of 73 planting for Weyerhaueser, an 8lb dibble thrust 1500 times a day would keep you on the payroll although they wanted 2000.     As to  "Still Winter"  I look to the trees to tell me,  not an almanac or an early easter.  The ground covered with Elm and Maple seed and the Red Bud's  bloom are indications of Spring's approach, but the once a year unduplicatable Chlorophyll Green the leaves bring forth is the Real Sign of Spring.   " I'm Ready"
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Corley5

It's still pretty nasty here this morning.  Wind's still blowing strong but all the loose, driftable snow has long since blown away and the temp is right around 10*.  Our power went off last night around 9PM and didn't come back on till 7:30AM this morning.  Glad we've got wood heat 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

WINTER????

I had a rough week, capped by a 14 hour day on Friday, so I gave myself Saturday morning off. I slept a little late, and poked around on here for a little while.  When I finally got outside to work on my garden a little bit, I found that I had missed SPRING! :o  It was 90 degrees with 95% humidity, and I was sweating like a mule after about 10 minutes with the tiller. I'll be glad when Fall gets here. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

A forest in a sack showed up at my back door today ;D.
Gonna be sore tomorrow :D 8).

Thank You Sponsors!