iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer for around the mill

Started by flyboy16101, January 04, 2015, 07:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy16101

I was wondering what you guys used for trailers with your mills. I have scene many described and pictured on various threads on here but was hoping to get a common consensus about what works well and what doesn't. The biggest questions are what weight and length, and also gooseneck or bumper pull? Thank you
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

sealark37

Since I use a 1/2 ton GMC to pull, I like a 14' flat trailer with the deck over the wheels, a 2' duck tail, with a front bar and winch.  I use a bumper style hitch, but a goose would be convenient.  Several pockets on each side for chains or standards, with a storage bin behind the hitch for chains and straps.  A 5-ton GVW and LCD lights are really nice.  My trailer is versatile, but ideal only about 5% of the time.  Regards, Clark

StimW

I have two, a good 16'er and a POS 14'er. Both work well for the logs pictured.

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

drobertson

The flat beds with rails are most common with many folks, but if you were to fab one 14' to 16', ball hitch, goose neck being fine if you have the truck equipped for this, and it being without rails, makes for a much easier loading and unloading in my opinion.  These flatbeds are just generally a bit taller giving the wheel clearance needed.  but most are still very manageable to fabricate at a reasonable cost, if scrap and ingenuity are use.   Rails, and fenders are just a bit of a pain at times, but everything has its place. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

flyboy16101

At the moment I have a low profile trailer with rails so i can par buckle but the fenders always seam to end up getting damaged no matter what I do and I feel a little cringe every a log slams down onto the deck. I have decided to upgrade to a deckover but I'm not sure how far to go on the size is 10000 gvrw and 16 ft long good enough or would you recommend bigger? Also dose anyone have a trailer with the pop up dove tail and if so is it worth having or just sick to a fixed dove tail?
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

drobertson

flyboy, unloading is just a pain with rails and fenders at times, as to loading, I use load straps with a 6x6 to pick up the load and lower it onto 4x4 cleats. this allows you to take the straps out.   many of my loads are stickered so keeping it intact is a little important.  Dead stacked lumber is often easier but labor intensive for the customer when unloading.  Keep in mind, how they will be unloaded for the customer's sake, sometimes double handling and restacking is just part of it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sixacresand

This trailer is logs.  I cut some timbers to raise my load above the rails.  I secured the load with come-a-longs.  I unload the trailer by rolling logs off the side.  Was a real time saver.    Another trailer is parked next to the mill to catch  slabs, waste, etc. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

YellowHammer

I've been through quite a few trailers trying to find the best one, such as utility, dump, and deck over, and finally ended up with a 25K lb gooseneck.  I had a 10,000 lb gooseneck but since the trailer weighed about 3,000 lbs, it only could only carry 7,000 lbs of logs, which isn't very much, especially with the increased towing capacity of today's pick ups.  It's also useful for hauling lumber and tractors.
I much prefer gooseneck to bumper pull in the larger trailer sizes due to better pulling and load balancing characteristics.
Also, depends on what you use for a tow vehicle.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

I too have been trying to figure out what kinda trailer to get.  I would love to have a dump trailer and a flat bed, but it won't happen quite yet.  I need to move my tractor, maybe haul a pickup for a friend, logs, and lumber.  almost got a 24' Kaufman gooseneck with 4' beavertail but someone got it before me.
Boy, back in my day..

Stephen1

Because I am portable I take the trailer with me.

I can take the flat bed or the bobcat trailer  with me to the job site.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

hunz

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 05, 2015, 11:39:52 PM

Part of me says this would land me in the backseat of a cop car in the U.S., is this pretty common in Canada?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Darrel

You can do that here in the states if you have a gooseneck trailer behind your truck. You will also need a class A drivers license.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

backwoods sawyer

That reminds me of a fisherman I saw in Idaho down around hells canyon. Truck, camp trailer, boat. I had to follow him almost 20 miles, it looked like a snake on a washboard road as he bobbed up and down the whole way, and he didn't have a problem wandering back and forth across the center line ::)

Hope yours rides a little better ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

scsmith42

I have a 37' deck dual tandem hydraulic dovetail gooseneck trailer that I pull behind an F450.  It has a winch on it for parbuckling, or I can load a skid steer on the back and use that to load logs onto the front of the trailer. 

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

stanwelch

I have  20' 6 ton tilt trailer that I load with a tractor with front loader equipped with forks. I use the the tractor or a 3/4 ton Yukon to pull it. 

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Magicman

What I have is not the best, but it is what I have.

A winch on the front and ramps allow me to parbuckle logs.

Even this 42" Water oak.  (note to self: discarded tires in the trailer bed will cushion the log dropping.  ;D )
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Darrel on January 06, 2015, 12:03:34 AM
You can do that here in the states if you have a gooseneck trailer behind your truck. You will also need a class A drivers license.

I just want to point out that it depends on what state you are in as to whether that is legal or not. 

In Wisconsin pulling two trailers is only legal for farm or recreation use.  And for recreation use the first trailer must be a camper and the second one must be open with them being any combination of goose neck or bumperpull.  The northern part of our state is a common vacation destination and people wanted to be able to bring their camper and boat along so about three years ago the law was changed to allow it. The only other exception in the law is for tow trucks towing broken down vehicles with trailers.  For any type of commercial use pulling two trailers is illegal here.

4x4American

Ever seen a video of a road train?  I think they do that in Australia.  Lots of trailers behind a road tractor, they call it a road train. 

I found a pretty cool trailer on the CL today, it's and old frame from a Deuce and a half, wheels and all, and the guy welded up a hitch and log bunks.  It's pretty narrow, and only 12ft long, but it might work, especially for $300.  Problem is it don't have electric brakes, don't have lights, needs tires, and it's an hour away.
Boy, back in my day..

Stephen1

Quote from: hunz on January 05, 2015, 11:47:02 PM

Part of me says this would land me in the backseat of a cop car in the U.S., is this pretty common in Canada?
I see it all the time with boats, marinas do when pulling boats, and campers and just tried it out last month. Next I have to find out about legalities
I have just experimented on the local back roads. I will also have to have each unit safety inspected each year, means 4 safety inspections each year, sawmill, 2 trailers, and the truck.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 06, 2015, 09:53:57 AM

I just want to point out that it depends on what state you are in as to whether that is legal or not. 

In Wisconsin pulling two trailers is only legal for farm or recreation use.  And for recreation use the first trailer must be a camper and the second one must be open with them being any combination of goose neck or bumperpull.  The northern part of our state is a common vacation destination and people wanted to be able to bring their camper and boat along so about three years ago the law was changed to allow it. The only other exception in the law is for tow trucks towing broken down vehicles with trailers.  For any type of commercial use pulling two trailers is illegal here.

Here in New York, the sawmill doesn't count as a "trailer"!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

flyboy16101

Quote from: hunz on January 05, 2015, 11:47:02 PM

I'm not sure if it would be legal in pa or not but I'm sure DOT would hassle you even if it was

Warped

Quote from: Chuck White on January 07, 2015, 05:03:42 PM
Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 06, 2015, 09:53:57 AM

Here in New York, the sawmill doesn't count as a "trailer"!

Just sayin'!
I would be sure to that the tow vehicles tail lights are clearly visible, just another reason.....if ya know what I mean.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

YellowHammer

Don't forget to make sure you have the proper license plate to cover the loaded weight of your vehicle and trailer combination, be it an "F" tag, "X1, X2" etc.   
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Here in Ontario, A WM mill is a piece of machinery, No plates required, but you still have to have proper lighting. The definition is if the saw head is pulled off of the mill, do you have a trailer. I am not sure but a Norwood and such would require plates as it can be used as trailer when the saw head is off.
We have the big Vacuum trucks up here and no plates are required on them, an interesting quirk in the law.

Brad_S.

I am no longer in the sawing business but when I was, I had a flatbed dump on a Ford F350 for lumber deliveries and a Metavic loader trailer for logs and equipment hauling. I think a dump of some sort is mandatory.

If I were to get back into sawing, I would get a trailer much like this one only as a complete deckover without the fenders so it can be loaded with a forklift. I would also opt for a gooseneck and equipment loading ramps.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!