iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 020 AVP help needed.

Started by Desslok, January 02, 2015, 06:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desslok

My father has generously gifted me with his 020 from the early 70's. I am trying to get it going again as it sat for around 10 years. I have run a coupe tanks of fuel through but have a couple issues.

1.If I fill the tank all the way it will start to leak from the bottom of the saw, but if I fill it half way it will not leak.

2.Cannot get it to idle correctly. Adjusted as per the manual, re-seated the idle screws to zero and then back out I believe 1.5 turns.

3. Not sure, but I think the bar oil also might be leaking.

Any ideas?

Is it a fools errand to try and get it going again? Would I be better off putting the money towards a newer saw?

Thanks for ant help you can give me.

dougand3

Does it idle, rev, idle, rev? That sounds like an air leak. Could be fuel line or intake boot (if equipped) or crankshaft seals. Leaking fuel could be fuel line or medium to high hole in tank.
Your dad gave it to you - sure it's worth messing with. Try cheap fixes first - fuel lines and filter. Clean carb and check diaphragms - a carb kit is $6-12. Search for any tank leak.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Desslok

Thanks for the suggestions Doug.

It doesn't "idle rev idle". It just tries to idle but then dies.

dougand3

That sounds like a fuel delivery problem - carb screen dirty, fuel pump or metering diaphragm stiff, varnish in carb. Carb probably needs a cleaning and rebuild. Look at the IPL for the 020 and see what carb looks like.
First, turn idle screw all the way IN (CW) and see if it helps.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Remle

Quote from: dougand3 on January 03, 2015, 10:26:09 PM
Does it idle, rev, idle, rev? That sounds like an air leak. Could be fuel line or intake boot (if equipped) or crankshaft seals. Leaking fuel could be fuel line or medium to high hole in tank.
Your dad gave it to you - sure it's worth messing with. Try cheap fixes first - fuel lines and filter. Clean carb and check diaphragms - a carb kit is $6-12. Search for any tank leak.
The other thing you may want to consider is eliminate the points and condenser with a transistorized ignition module. Google, Nova II 31-8786.

jussi

I had one of those.

1. Could be leaking fuel hose. The tank needs to remove for repair. Checking rest of the tank for leaksi at the same time.
Hose leak could also couse idle problem and more.

Nice little saw. Worth of small exercise. IMHO
Bad english don`t judge, take a breathe.

Thank You Sponsors!