iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to saw Magnolia.....UPDATE....I DID. Update starts at reply#13.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 02, 2015, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've got 2 nice Magnolia logs on the yard.
They look really nice with no visible damage.
I know Poplar is in the Magnolia family and I'm assuming it will saw like Poplar.
I'm not sure if there is a market for this stuff around here....I know Poplar is a big seller for me.

I'm thinking about just sawing it into 2 large cants and just put it up to air dry.

But my other question is.....if there is not a market for it, can it be sawn into 4/4 lumber and be mixed in with my Poplar sales? Would this be an honest move since Poplar and magnolia are in the same family?

I know Pecan and Hickory are sold as 1 being the other.

So......?????

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Wenrich

I know that they throw cucumber in with tulip poplar.  After you saw it, see how close it looks to poplar.  If it's close, I'd sell it as poplar.  I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like, especially the heart.  It looks to be awful knotty.  Yard tree?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scsmith42

David, I have sawn magnolia before and it mills and dries fairly well.  The lumber is a cream color.  The best market is to custom furniture makers who want something different.  I would sell it in the $4.00 - $8.00 bd ft range for 4/4 and 5/4 - with the wider boards bringing a premium price.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 02, 2015, 04:58:27 PM
  Yard tree?

Yep....I'm afraid so Ron.

I'll post some pics when I saw it up.

Good info Scott, thanks.

WDH

Yellow poplar and cucumber tree both have green heartwood.  Magnolia has brown heartwood with black highlights, so it looks different.  Creamier colored and not as white as poplar in the sapwood, and different in the heartwood.  I would sell it separate and ask for more $ than for ordinary poplar.  Some 4" mantles might be the ticket.  Some with live edge and some square, like you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2015, 05:18:06 PM
Some 4" mantles might be the ticket.  Some with live edge and some square, Censored.

I hadn't thought about Mantles. But hopefully it's have enough beauty when I saw it to make a Mantle.
We'll just have to wait and see. One thing about 4 plus inches....it will hopefully dry straighter with less movement. I'll still weight it down.

The funny thing I laugh at about my Mantle customers is they buy a Mantle based on the unique grain pattern.
Then they take it home....put it UP on the fireplace and set STUFF all on the Mantle where you can't even see the grain. I guess I'm just square.

DanG

Consider letting it spalt.  My Brother put some spalted magnolia panelling in the house he built back in '01.  It was amazingly beautiful and rather pricey.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ocklawahaboy

Too bad that tree doesn't seem to have much dark heart.  After the 04 hurricanes here -pre mill- I saw some laying around with 10" of chocolate brown heart.   I've been told that letting it sit greatly increases the attractiveness.  Either way, I would sell it as what it is and consider it a good score.

Banjo picker

That's the state tree down here in Miss. Does that mean its against the law to saw one?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Alligator

It use to be one of the hardwoods we separated out because we could get a premium from furniture manufactures. We sawed Magnolia, Bay and Black Gum together, some times Tupelo Gum if we didn't trade it. There was a veneer mill near by that wanted the Tupelo Gum and would trade Cypress on Doyle Scale. I must have scaled 200 or 300 double deck truck loads over 20 years.

Magnolia saws pretty, not much grain features. Furniture makers use to love it for all the internal parts. It doesn't warp bad, because of it's light color it can be stained any color. It doesn't split or check bad. In general a real easy wood to build furniture with.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

POSTON WIDEHEAD

ohwc

Usually has a coffee color heart. Excellent for coffee tables, end table tops etc.

You can see one slab of it here. http://instagram.com/oldhatwoodco

Tree Dan

I would live edge that at 8/4 and some 4/4
It should have something nice In there with those knots.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sawed the smallest log of the 2. My net was 133 BF. I milled it 5/4 x wide w/ no live edge.
I was amazed!
First time I've milled Magnolia and to be honest, I almost put the logs on the burn pile.

The texture of the wood is like Yellow Poplar but the face looks more like White Pine to me.
My Dad came down to the mill with one of his senior buddies who is 93!!!!
He said "MAGNOLIA!'.......That's an expensive lumber."
So I'm glad I kept it now. It does to me, look like its in it's own class. Its really nice!

red oaks lumber

that looks like some of our basswood, shows some grain with darkness around the knots
good thing the old boys told ya it was expensive wood. did they mention $300?  :D

is the goat coming back or are we just stuck with you?? ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

If you look close, on the end grain, (with a hand lens), you will see a double row of marginal parenchyma that terminates the growth ring  :)............Diagnostic in Magnolia, but you have to look close.  (Hard to hold a hand lens with a cloven hoof  :-\). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 05, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
If you look close, on the end grain, (with a hand lens), you will see a double row of marginal parenchyma that terminates the growth ring  :)............Diagnostic in Magnolia, but you have to look close.  (Hard to hold a hand lens with a cloven hoof  :-\).

I thought about air drying this for a while and brining it to Hamsley Acres and letting you Kiln Dry it. Then commission you to build be a table like you built Sis. How much would that cost me Pop?  :D :D :D :D

WDH

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Southside

Quote from: WDH on January 05, 2015, 08:22:35 PM

Whattttt??????  At least I get the cloven hoof part.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Parenchyma are living cells in wood.  Most wood cells are functionally dead and only transports water from the roots to the crown.  In many species, there are parenchyma cells that are in the growth ring, either as medullary ray cells or are in various arrangements.  They can be used to ID certain species.  It is one of the best ways to tell ash wood from hickory wood, for example.

In the Magnolia family, the annual growth ring is terminated (the very last line of cells that are put down at the end of the growing season) with a band of parenchyma.  This arrangement is called "marginal parenchyma".  It forms a distinct line visible with a hand lens.  It helps give yellow poplar (in the Magnolia Family) the little bit of "grain" that you see in the lumber. 

Magnolia, for some reason, instead of a single band of marginal parenchyma, usually has a double band.  As a result, magnolia has a more pronounced "grain" than yellow poplar, otherwise they look very similar.  This stronger visual "grain" is seen on Poston's pics of his magnolia boards.   Another difference is the color of the heartwood with yellow poplar having green heartwood and magnolia having brown heartwood. 

You can go to this page on the website operated by Forum member @phinds and look at the close-up end grain pics of some different species of magnolia.  In the first ones of cucumber tree, Magnolia acuminata, you can clearly see the distinct line at the end of each growth ring.  This is the marginal parenchyma, and is in a single band.

Scroll down through the page past cucumber tree, and past sweetbay magnolia, until you get to the pics of southern magnolia, Magnolia grandiflora (this is Poston's tree in this thread).  If you look carefully, you can see the double band of marginal parenchyma in the first two end grain close-up pics. 

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/magnolia.htm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm glad you explained that. You kept me from having to do it.  ;D

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Well I knew all that, its so elementary.  That having been said I am still confused about what a "hand lense" is.   ;D. Seriously though thank you, I will check out the link.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Hand lense is a magnifying glass.

Yep the goat is self loaded. You might even say full of it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

phinds

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2015, 07:40:19 AM
Magnolia, for some reason, instead of a single band of marginal parenchyma, usually has a double band.
I'll be damned. I had never noticed that. I checked all my samples and I only see it on two of them, so I guess I'd have to say that in my experience your use of "usually" doesn't apply, but that's a fairly limited set of samples and you may be right. In any case it's interesting and I'm glad you pointed it out.

Paul
you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

fishpharmer

Beautiful lumber!  Here I am in Mississippi, The Magnolia State and I am yet to find a log larger than 6" dbh.  I will search harder. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for sharing those pictures Poston! I have cut several Magnolia logs and am always fascinated with the colors that appear just as the cut is made. I have a man that builds picture frames with it that buys every stick from me. Thanks again for sharing, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WDH

Paul,

It would be interesting to do a study to see how prevalent the double band of marginal parenchyma is in Magnolia grandiflora.  It shows up in a couple of the samples depicted on your website. 

I am sure, however, that the folks in the Chainsaw Board probably don't give a rip about marginal parenchyma  :D :D. 

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Warped

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2015, 09:23:08 PM
Paul,

It would be interesting to do a study to see how prevalent the double band of marginal parenchyma is in Magnolia grandiflora.  It shows up in a couple of the samples depicted on your website. 

I am sure, however, that the folks in the Chainsaw Board probably don't give a rip about marginal parenchyma  :D :D.
Ohhhhhh, so that's where parchment paper comes from! So, tinfoil must come from steel magnolias? Learn something knew everyday!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Warped on January 07, 2015, 01:39:09 AM
Ohhhhhh, so that's where parchment paper comes from! So, tinfoil must come from steel magnolias? Learn something knew everyday!

Don'tcha know, parchment comes from Goat skin...... ;D
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Herb Brooks

No need to hide your hide Poston.  Parchment paper and bakery release paper are cellulose-based papers that are used in baking as a disposable non-stick surface. Both are also called bakery paper or baking paper. It should not be confused with waxed paper, also known as wax paper or rarely as butter paper.  Unless I need a new pair of gloves.  (the above stolen from wiki)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Herb Brooks on January 07, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
No need to hide your hide Poston. 

Thanks Herb.....They had me scared for a minute there!

PARCHMENT?  smiley_horserider

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Warped

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 07, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
Quote from: Herb Brooks on January 07, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
No need to hide your hide Poston. 

Thanks Herb.....They had me scared for a minute there!

PARCHMENT?  smiley_horserider

You wouldn't try and pass off an alpaca with a bad haircut as goat would ya?
Anyways, now that we've destroyed your thread, those really are nice boards.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!