iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel Tank for Property

Started by wfcjr, January 02, 2015, 01:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

We are starting to outgrow the time honored method of hauling 5 gal diesel cans back & forth from the gas station.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with modest, above ground diesel tanks with pump for use on the property?
Probably do not want to go any larger than 100-150 gal.  Also, since all of our use is on our property, I don't have any need for
hauling diesel off-site and would rather not put a tank in the back of our pickup.

Thanks.

NWP

How will you fill the tank?  Will the bulk truck come for 100 gallons?  I have a 100 gallon tank bolted to a pallet. Fill it up in town, bring it back and unload it with the forks on the skid steer. Works great.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Corley5

I've got a 100 gallon tank strapped to a small trailer that we use when the 40 gallon one in the truck isn't enough.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

wfcjr, from what I understand, the problem with bulk tanks is condensation. If they sit half full, they collect water. I have an 80 gallon transfer tank in my work truck, and I've never had water problems with that, but it gets refilled every two days as my forwarder burns 30-40 gallons a day. But people have told me of problems they had with bulk tanks they had that they only filled every 2 weeks or a month. I suppose if you set the tank up right the water could be dealt with, but it is something to be cognizant of. Last year we had a job out of town where we were running 3 cut to length crews so the boss sent a trailer mounted fuel tank to the job site. I think it was 1000 gallons or close to it. A harvester fueled off of it first, and made it about 15 minutes before he plugged his filters. No one else got fuel out of it after that :D I think that idea of a 50-100 gallon tank on a skid has merit if you don't want a tank in your pick-up.
Too many irons in the fire

LeeB

I have a 500 gal tank that I have never put more than 300 gal in. Lasts me about a year. I put algecide in it when I buy the fuel. I also have a water trap w/ filter on it. Haven't seen any water in it yet or had any problems with clogging.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

I think the winter weather conditions is when you will have a problem. Northern winter, not Arkansas ;) Take my opinion FWIW, I've never had my own bulk tank and I'm only repeating what I've heard about them in my area.

wfcjr

Quote from: barbender on January 02, 2015, 02:37:26 PM
I think the winter weather conditions is when you will have a problem. Northern winter, not Arkansas ;) Take my opinion FWIW, I've never had my own bulk tank and I'm only repeating what I've heard about them in my area.

You are right, there will be condensation issues.  You can't pump from the bottom and can let the levels go to low.   

How do you handle the supply situation?  Tank in bed of pick-up, or some other method?

coxy

one other thing to think about is if you have a 300-1000gal tank and all of a sudden there is a leak not big but just a leak and the wrong person sees it your in deep dodo they make double wall tanks but there high price just check your laws they are different in every state and county- town 

Gadrock

I have a 500 and a 250 extra above ground tanks that I do not use now because they are not big enough. Years ago they were regularly drained of condensate from the low point when their usage was well worth it. But somewhere along the way my fuel jobber stated charging significantly to deliver such a small amount.

Today I need 5000 gal to make it worth the trouble so I end up getting 80-100 gal a day for my toys and sometime I must go again during the day. That trip is only 7 miles round trip in my pickup which carries the small tank.

I have been informed the largest truck mounted tank allowed is 118 gall but most other loggers use 200 gal to pump from their trucks. The problem with 200 gallons is that nothing else matches the design when it is in the truck...that is tool box, 5th wheel. SO now I am also considering going to a flatbed of a special design. DOwn here the truck must be 4x4.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

snowstorm

i have a 550 gal tank. never had any trouble with water. when its real cold it will frost on the outside to the level of the fuel

Dave Shepard

Same here. We have a 550 on the farm. Have had it for at least 25 years. It gets topped off several times a year, and we have never had a water problem. If I was going to set up on site storage, and I might be this summer, I would get half a concrete septic tank to put the fuel tank in, then put a roof over it. There is a place down in Torrington, CT, that may even make a special casting just for fuel tanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wfcjr

Thanks for the replies so far....

Have not heard back from our fuel & propane folks yet if they will deliver diesel.
If they will, then will likely go with a stationary tank.

If not, will look hard at a fuel tank/trailer.  Looks like they are available in sizes from 150 gals & up.
May be handy to be able to just head into town, fill it up & then park or place it where needed.  Does any one
have any experience with these fuel tanks that are on their own trailers?

Maine logger88

It's a little bigger than you want but a old 275 gal furnace tank works well I know my father and the guy he used to cut with used to have one that they made so it could be loaded in the pickup and moved to different jobs. They would have a local fuel truck fill it up on site
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

1270d

Just an observation on condensation.   
Four pickups with 100 gal transfer tanks in the beds and one 500 gallon outdoor bulk tank.

None of the tanks had ever been checked for water and all together have a combined age of around 40 years.  Not a spec of water.  We checked with the paste on a stick that the fuel stations use to check for water.  The pickup tubes don't go to the very bottom of the tanks so if there is some water it should stay on the bottom.

Couldnt believe it. NO water. None.    The bulk tank had sat around half full from late winter to late summer.

bill m

I have had a 43 gallon tank in the back of my pickup for a few years now and the meter says over 3400 gallons to date. I drained the tank this summer to check for water and found NONE! I also have a 300 gallon bulk tank in a containment tank and have never used it. No one will fill it. They all have a 500 gallon minimum.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

snowstorm

getting someone to fill it can be a problem. the little local oil co i have used for many years sold out to the big boys. i still buy from them but charge more

barbender

I know the pickup box mounted tank works best for me.

xalexjx

we have a 1500 gal and 750 gal at the shop, one was for off-road and one for on road but now we just use the bigger tank and buy all on road fuel. In the summer we use them but they get filled every other week havent had any problems with moisture. If there were a spot in town to get fuel we wouldn't have them, the dec permits and paperwork every year is a pia. They made us put in containment pits cover them and some other stuff 4-5 years ago

In the winter I just use the 45 gal tank in the back of my truck as I dont dare leave a skid/tank on the woodlot in the winter.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Ed_K

I have a 300 gal above ground tank,I bought a bottom half of a septic tank to put it in. Ma. rules say you have to have a catch tank that 110% of the fuel tank. I set the whole setup on a slight incline,haven't had a problem with water.If you don't use a lot then you can wait till the price go down to fill it,if it ever does  >:( .
Ed K

Dave Shepard

Quote from: bill m on January 02, 2015, 07:31:39 PM
I have had a 43 gallon tank in the back of my pickup for a few years now and the meter says over 3400 gallons to date. I drained the tank this summer to check for water and found NONE! I also have a 300 gallon bulk tank in a containment tank and have never used it. No one will fill it. They all have a 500 gallon minimum.

We have been getting our off-road from Clifford since H.L. stopped delivering in MA. I think they will deliver whatever we need.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lopet

Quote from: barbender on January 02, 2015, 02:25:30 PM
15 minutes before he plugged his filters. No one else got fuel out of it after that
Always have a filter setup on the transfer tank also ! Saves a lot of hassle.  And keep a spare in the truck !
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Maine logger88

Quote from: snowstorm on January 02, 2015, 07:44:09 PM
getting someone to fill it can be a problem. the little local oil co i have used for many years sold out to the big boys. i still buy from them but charge more
Yeah they were the ones they had fill up there tank. I usually buy my off-road from them but this summer the depot in unity was quite abit cheaper and where I was working there anyway I bought it from them
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

kensfarm

I have a 300 gallon tank w/ 12volt pump..  I have a water filter on the pump..  always add diesal treatment for a new tank full..  never had problems w/ water or algea.   In MD.. all off-road diesal is low sulphur now.  Hope you find what works for your operation. 

wfcjr

Any of you gents with tanks, are they steel or aluminum?  I would imagine that the truckbed tanks are likely aluminum, but the onsite or larger tanks
may be aluminum or steel.

Looking hard at a tank trailer that is local, but pretty sure it is powder coated steel.  Any downsides to the steel tanks?

Thanks,

barbender

Thank You Sponsors!