iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

81' 480cd

Started by 254sawguy, January 01, 2015, 08:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

254sawguy

alright so I'm just getting in to the saw world but i recently pulled out my dads cd480 (hasn't been used because of his 372xp he picked up) anyways it runs good and has good compression it was rebuilt in the late 80s because someone ran regular gas through it.
anyhow this saw has no chain brake i was wondering if there were any chain brakes off similar saw size models that would fit? also does anyone know where i can pick up new gas and oil tank caps (i walked into the garage today picked it up and found a pool of oil) :-\ oh yeah this is a husqvarna sorry i didn't add it
Husqvarna 480

shinnlinger

I would call Chainsawr.  Some models did indeed have a chain brake so it may be possible to simple swap a newer cover on.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SawTroll

Chain brakes were optional back then - but they sure were made for that model.
Information collector.

254sawguy

Awesome that's good news to here
Husqvarna 480

bond-lumber

I just received a gift from my neighbor...a'79 480cd it does not have a chain brake either but certainly does have the oil puddle under it!!!  I told this friend of the family (25 years ago) that if he ever was to get rid of this saw I would love to buy it, well he is now 75 years old and came over to my house set the saw down on my work bench and said Andrew, it is yours, it is too big for me ... Enjoy!  I had helped him cut firewood with my high school baseball team to raise money to purchase a pitching machine back then, he remembered what I said about using that saw (i loved it back then)...So if you happen to find new caps please let me know where, I would love to fix this old machine up for some firewood cutting (it runs strong with good compression).  Good luck with yours!
Mobile Dimension, Newman 8b, Logosol 260

254sawguy

yeah i also discover an oil puddle too very frustrating i was looking on amazon and might have found a contender still need to look into it further, also i was wondering will 2100 husky caps work anyone know?
Husqvarna 480

double clutchin weasel

Used to run the daylights out of 480 Huskys. Great saw back then. The 480 CD, I believe, had the capacitive discharge ignition. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

As I recall, the chain brake for these was totally contained in the side cover. So, it should be relatively easy to swap one onto it...if that's the case.

The 480 (and the 925 Homelite and 050 Stihl) were our bread & butter saws. Spent a lot of 12-hour days behind them. Loved the 480, because it was so much smoother to run.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Bret4207

It's been 20 years but I'm fairly sure a chain brake assy from a  2100 will fit right on the 480. Seems to me we did that several times. And, IIRC, the oil puddle common to the 480 and 2100 comes from the feed line running from the oil tanks to crankcase, should be 2 if them right behind the muffler. They crack over time. Have little spring clamps on them that get lost or break too. Easy fix.

254sawguy

Yes the 480sure seems smooth once I get the oil cap fixed we will give her a go
Husqvarna 480

old 030

Quote from: 254sawguy on January 03, 2015, 11:16:06 AM
yeah i also discover an oil puddle too very frustrating i was looking on amazon and might have found a contender still need to look into it further, also i was wondering will 2100 husky caps work anyone know?

yep..........1100, 2100, 2101, 285 caps are the same, should still be an easy find on that auction site.............

254sawguy

Thanks for the help I was thinking I might re paint if too this spring if I have the time what do  you guys think? Also what paint do you use for  husky orange? One last question is there anywhere I could buy decals online? Thanks
254sawguy
Husqvarna 480

254sawguy

Husqvarna 480

old 030

tractor supply has husqvarna orange in spray cans, i've used it, it comes out nice, not sure if anyone is making the 480 decals at this time...........

254sawguy

Okay thanks I was jus curious  on the other hand how big of a bar will this saw pull effectively
Husqvarna 480

Bret4207

It's a 5.0 ci saw. Should pull 24" in eastern hard wood pretty well. It was the predecessor to the 181 IIRC and a good 181 will pull 24" easy with a decent chain.

My earlier post about the chain brake, I got thinking it might have been a 181 brake assy we used. Been a loooong time.

HolmenTree

Back in the day when logging cut & skid I borrowed a 480 from the faller working the strip next to me, he took my Jonsereds 910. We were running 18" b/c on them, cutting 12" to 16" average diameter white spruce and jack pine.
I like the 480 with it's good ergonomics but had a bit less power then my 910.

Why were we running these big saws and with a 18" b/c yet?
Well for one thing when we depended on them the most it was winter logging down to -40 below. Took alot of power to drop these frozen trees with a lot of birch and poplar in between.
We didn't have to limb just fell and top. The skidder snapped the brittle limbs off no problem so we had a good system going seeing we got paid by the cord on piecework. The sooner the faller could get a swath down on the strip face the sooner he could help his skidder operator choke up .
480 was a nice saw , never got to try out the 181 that came out a few years later in '82.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

254sawguy

I love hearing these stories about old saws working on the mountains:) on the off hand does anyone know if a 272 husqvarna piston and cylinder will work on a 480cd ? I jus wondered because if it did I would consider buying one to have in off case something happened
Husqvarna 480

Al_Smith

FWIW I have a 281 in the shed and have ran a 181.The 181 seemed like it had a little more power.

As I've said before at least to me it seems like no matter who made them within the same displacement there isn't much difference in the power they put out Talking stock saws now .

254sawguy

Husqvarna 480

beenthere

Pls put your pics in your posts. If needing help, shout out. But it isn't hard to do, and much more interesting thread when it includes pics and some commentary.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

254sawguy

Ok sorry I'll do that
Husqvarna 480

254sawguy

I think I figured it out

Husqvarna 480

254sawguy

So I finally tried her out and she de finally is a torque machine
Husqvarna 480

Thank You Sponsors!