iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is not trick photography...eggs

Started by Banjo picker, January 01, 2015, 05:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I feel sorry for one of my hens....I have 7 Delaware they will be a year old the 7th of Feb .  I get 4 to 7 eggs a day with the short days and all.

Every once in a while I get a whopper like that. Wow.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

clww

That IS a whopper! 8)
Double-yolk for sure. Give her some extra feed. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kwendt

87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sawguy21

:D That was my thought too. Bet there was some prolonged squawking.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

Yea that's a dandy one for sure,  we have one hen doing bout the same, but she is older than one. it sure helps when the boys come home, makes a big batch of scrambled eggs ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Gadrock

I studied poultry science at Mississippi State years ago having grown up in that industry. I may have misinterpreted the story here and if I have please forgive me.

Many time I have seen such a situation although numerically it would be a minute fraction of occurance. A good producing hen may produce 4 eggs in 5 days in some breeds and the yolk is deposited while the calcification envelopes the material. In nature strange things happens in timing. Next thing you know there are twins or abnormalities. With this situation I suspect that there is an egg within the other egg, denoted by such a tremendous mass increase. A double yolk egg is almost always an increase in size, but not to the proportions shown.

Please report your findings with a picture.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Chuck White

That hen that laid that is probably still cackling!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Gadrock, I have seen a video that Deb showed me of an egg like you are referring to being broken open.  I will attempt to video it, but that will be iffy.  It sure was strange to see an egg come out of an egg.  When she gets back from my sons house we will open it up.  I don't think that will be the case, here since we have had a couple just about this big before, but just in case I will try and video it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

red oaks lumber

out of all my hens 2 lay  odd eggs one always lays a double yoker and the other one lays  an egg like in the picture, i call her stretch  :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Sprucegum

My son's father-in-law thought double yolked eggs were as rare as winning a lottery. We have a Hutterite colony here that specializes in double yolks so we slipped a dozen into Don's fridge knowing he would make breakfast for the family gathering.  ;) The first egg was a surprise, the second egg was a miracle, the third was a mystery, by the fourth egg we were all busting a gut  :D  :D  :D

coxy

my hens lay some big ones every now and then most of my big eggs are single yolk  :-\ in the summer i found a way to get some of them to lay very very well but the lady at the feed store said i was nuts :D

Swatson

My brother has laying hen houses and contracts with a large company.  He gets about 200 eggs a week of double yolkers.  Of course this is coming from 14000 hens so I suppose they are a bit scarce if you look at the numbers: 200 out of 50,000-60,000 eggs per week.  The company sells doubles to pet food suppliers and hatch the rest.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Banjo picker

It was just a double yoke egg.. its the two on the left with another egg in there with it.  both yokes of the double were bigger than the other egg.  I had em for breakfast. food6  Banjo

I made the video but its not worth trying to learn something like posting something new to see an egg broke.  Any one else see the video of the egg coming out of an egg.  That was weird.?

Gadrock

I am glad to see that there were no martian-type surprises. And am supposing the double shot of the yellow stuff gave your cholesterol a boost.

Enjoy the story and the moment.

David Gaddis

carry on
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

scleigh

A friend of mine's dad capped off his barn hall with wire and got a few hens. He was so proud of the 4 to 6 eggs he got every day. So, my friend and his brother, both of which are pranksters, started buying a dozen or two of eggs everyday and started to put more in the nest' everyday. After a few weeks, their dad was just glowing with pride, he really thought he had the finest chickens around.
Well, Easter came and the guys dyed two dozen eggs and put them in the nest'. Their dad was so mad, but it was one of the best on going pranks I ever saw.

Gadrock

Now I can relate to that. And I wish I was closer to some of my friends that have yard chickens. I would pull over that trick and NEVER stop smillin'.

Years ago a friend bought a seconf hand bug typr VW...yep he was bragging on his fuel milage. Soon he was getting about 150 mile to the gallon, until we stopped adding those few gallons. All weeekend was spent tuning up the bug to give him only 28 mpg. Then we started stealing a gallon at a time. One month later another friend purchased it cheep. We were too embarrased to ever confess while we laughter behind his back.

David G

carry on

Mooseherder

Thank You Sponsors!