iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Logs

Started by Hookpilot, January 01, 2015, 01:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookpilot

:new_year: to everyone, may it be Blessed and Prosperous. I have been talking with and learning from YellowHammer over the past year. I am finally taking delivery of my WM LT50 tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting Tim Horsley from WM in person, great service. I can't wait to get started on this venture. I am going to be a portable mill as I live in town and do not have a place for folks to bring their logs to be milled. This is a short note about one of the great individuals on this forum.

So several months ago when I decided to take the plunge I was talking to YH about the delivery and he says, just have them deliver it here and you can practice out where I used to cut at the log landing. When we spoke over the last couple months he said he had some trees that had fallen in a wind storm and I could practice on them. I was able to bring some 70 year old long straw pine logs back from my in-laws and when I dropped them off at YH's place we went into the woods and came out with the logs in the pictures below. What a great mentor; Thanks YH! :P :) 

WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Happy for you and your new adventure!  I have to say it can hardly get any better than this, having someone with the experience and willingness to get you started.  Hats are off for his generosity,  logs look great!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hookpilot

drobertson - I couldn't agree more YH is the real deal.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill, and having a mentor like YH.  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tree Dan

Hello Hook Pilot, and Happy Newyears to you.
What a great beginning....Let the fun begin smiley_bounce fly_smiley...congrats on the new LT50
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Sixacresand

Congratulations on your new mill.  Nice photos. and good looking logs.  I liked doing business with Tim and Nathan at Newnan, GA. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I am happy to see things working out for you.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Knute

Wishing you the best on your new venture.

WDH

That Yellowhammer is a pretty good dude. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Hookpilot got his mill delivered to our place on Friday by Tim from WM, and spent a good deal of quality time with it this weekend, sawing in the high wind, cold, rain and mud.  We worked through a few things, then before long, the saw (and him) were humming until last light today, and he was steadily working his way through the pile of logs.  He's got an LT50 and its a nice mill, all pretty and shiny new.  I don't even think he sawed into it once. 8)  He's got a trailer full of pine lumber, and still has a few oak logs to saw.
Here's a few pictures
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

flatrock58

Hookpilot,
The new mill looks nice.  You are off to a good start.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

Hook,

You have been initiated. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Best of luck and good sawing. ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Stephen1

YAHOO! Enjoy the shiny new mill.
Leaving your fenders under the mill like that is not the best spot.
Don't ask me how I know. :o
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

I usually leave my fenders under the mill, in the triangle area at the head of the mill, that way I don't drive off and forget them.  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Mine are always under the hitch.

My ATF squirt bottle is always there and the fenders provide a walkway that prevents me from knocking my shins on the hitch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

HookPilot great score on mill and a friend like YellowHammer!

Looking good! Will lumber go toward sawmill shed?

Hookpilot

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes. Sorry it took me so long to get back on here and follow up. As YH will tell you I have been at his place until dark since Friday. I think I am starting to get the hang of it just a little. It was great to have YH standing there Sunday telling me watch for this, don't forget that, etc. I am looking forward to a long tenure with this and as a part of this forum. Thanks again.
Keith 8) 8) 8)
WMLT50
                 -- John Quincy Adams

mad murdock

Congratulations on the new addi(c)tion ;D you are infected now. No cure for it. Better get more love coming 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

We are all enjoying your success Keith.   8)

Hookpilot

Mr. Davis (MM) - Thank you for the correspondence over the last six months or so. I really like your idea of putting the fenders under the tong so you don't run into it. My business model is going to be similar to yours in that I will go to the site to saw so I watch what you and others who are using that model do and say.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions as well.
8) 8) 8)
Keith
WMLT50
                 -- John Quincy Adams

Thank You Sponsors!