iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock boards

Started by moosehunter, August 16, 2004, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Have a question about hemlock.
 I was told that often times the butt log of a hemlock will not produce straight boards. Is this true? If it is, how far up the tree is prone to this? The fellow that told me this said the 10 foot butt log of a 30 inch tree he had cut up was worthless becouse the boards warped so bad but the upper logs were fine.
Moosehunter  
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Tom

If Hemlock does that it is the only tree I've heard of that did. Did he offer to take the 10' cuts off of your hands.  :D

Seriously, the butt cut is usually the prime cut since it has the most clear wood.  There are concerns with trees that grow in wet areas and develop a swollen butt.  Cypress, black gum and tupelo will do it.   Pine will swell but not as far up the trunk as other trees.  If the swollen butt around the root crown is incorporated into a board, then the board will have a tendency to bend due to the difference in the direction of the grain and the difference in the composition and size of the cell walls.  That wood is usually quite soft.

Unless another member has experience with Hemlock being different I would suspect that you were given erroneous information.  Perhaps this fellow has cut Hemlock that has grown in a flooded plain. :-/

leweee

If the heart is centered in the log  & the log is staight the lumber is usual OK. If the heart is off center by much it means the tree was a leaner. (reaction & compression wood) Also if the butt log has sweep (curved) the tree may have experienced wind throw (mild  form of tip out.) also known as "hockey  sticked". Check butt logs for soundness (punky wood) caused by bacterial infection. Last but not least hemlock is prown  to shake  (wind  or bacterial damage to the annual ring structure.) All these factors contribute to the quality of diamentional lumber . Now sawing decent logs into lumber  is another story.  ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Kevin

The hemlock on my property is like the poplar, some of it is stressed but most isn't.
The center splits out in the center along the rings on some but most don't.

isawlogs

If I'm reading this wright , he had one log cut from the butt and is stating that all are no good.... ya wright ....I've sawn alot of hemlock , it is true that some will do that but the same is true to most any type of tree, I'd be more concerned with shake than warping with hemlock...

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

moosehunter

Thanks for the input. I think I'll just saw them up and see what happens.
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

MrMoo

I have done ok with hemlock butt logs. Sometimes if they have a big sweep then you may get some warping but for the most part it is fine.

woodbeard

I just sawed up a couple of hemlock logs, one was the butt log, 24" on the small end. I did not notice any warp or twist, even after leaving some of the boards ( 3/4" ) out in the sun all day. It cut very nicely, except for the knots. Man, they are tough, especially when you slice them right down the middle!

EZ

Woodbeard,
so why did you slice them right down the middle, if I may ask.
EZ

woodbeard

Because they were there? ???

Thank You Sponsors!