iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black eyed peas on New Years

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 31, 2014, 11:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

All,

I hope all of you are having your black-eyed peas and hog jowls for New Years. If you can't cook any yourself go by Cracker Barrel and they will feed you some with any meal you order there. We have ours ready to cook.

I grew up in Florida and we always had BE peas on New Year's Day. People typically had some greens with them. Around us it was often collards. Further north they had cabbage a lot. Dad always said if you ate BE Peas on January 1st you'd have a better year ahead. He said the background was that when he grew up during the Depression people did not have refrigeration or much money. They grew their own foods and BE peas were one of the few foods they could dry and save through the winter. People would buy some smoked hog jowls for seasoning as it was the cheapest cut off the pig. He said if you ate that on New years you had to have a better year ahead because if that was all you had to eat that time of the year things couldn't get much worse and could only get better.

Happy New Year (Bonne Anniee to our Francophones).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

I had some blackeyed peas and cabbage today, but I wouldn't call it down home cooking. Pork products are pretty hard to come by here and cooks are from Bangladesh. Don't much know how to cook southern. The day started off pretty rough with the deck crew managing to spill a couple hundred gallons of diesel on the deck and the had a breakdown on the rig floor for 5 hours. Still, it's a good day. I'm still sucking in good air and have a job. I just hope it isn't a potent of things to come for the year.  :new_year:
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

LeeB,

I feel for you. When I left the USMC in '89 I took a job with the Saudi Navy in early '90 and we were living in a half star hotel with our own cook who was Bangla (they were cheapest nationality to hire) and the closest I ever came to death in the mid-east (including Saudi and the Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan) was from eating that guy's cooking. That is where I first learned about Immodium. I still think the inventor of it deserves the Nobel prize for medicine. Keep the faith. Be careful out there. Happy New Year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!