iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board deduster

Started by Joey Grimes, November 29, 2015, 08:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

We have a issue with getting wet sawdust of freshly sawn green boards we have tried compressed air but the only thing that seems to work is a wire brush . Has anyone made a homemade deduster.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe Hillmann

I use this

http://www.sand-rite.com/b-12.html

You can use it with just the brushes and no sand sandpaper if you want.  It is only about 4 or 5 inches wide.  It does a good job of removing the sawdust.

Joey Grimes

Thanks mm I'll try the sheet rock knife.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

mesquite buckeye

A garden hoe works too. better if you get a really fat one.

Or just a chunk of square edged lumber cleans things decently. We just use shorts laying around the mill. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

YellowHammer

We also use a sheet rock knife, 12 inch wide.  One fast swipe and the board is clean. 
A while ago I was experimenting with using the brush part of a 2 foot push broom, and mounted it bristle side up, maybe a half inch proud, on the underside of my drag back table.  As the board would be returned by the dragback, it would pass over the bristles of the brush, and would be swept clean.  It worked pretty well, I used it for quite some time.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on November 29, 2015, 09:45:54 PM
A garden hoe works too. better if you get a really fat one.

Or just a chunk of square edged lumber cleans things decently. We just use shorts laying around the mill. ;D

I woild not be telling everyone that you got shorts laying around the mill....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

longtime lurker

anyone tried spray suppressant skirting... the broom like strips used on truck mudguards? mount them top and bottom on the line so the boards pass through them coming off the saw. Might work.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

terrifictimbersllc

10 or 12" drywall knife, economy one with a somewhat flexible blade, mine is bluish, fashion a 3' handle on it is better on the back and faster.  But first give the board a couple good bumps on the mill bed.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!