iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

18" Planer grinder/sharpener - possible to build my own?

Started by Popeye1, December 31, 2014, 03:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Popeye1

I have a Rockwell 22-200 18" wedge-bed planer.  I've had it for a while now and just getting it up and running.
My planer was set up for the grinder that sharpens blades on the machine, but the previous owner didn't have the grinder.  I am wondering if it would be possible to build my own grinder with a little motor, some bearings and a grinding wheel. 
It looks like a very simple machine, I would just need to get the exact measurement from center of grinding wheel to the center of the bar it rides on.
Any thoughts on this?

Ljohnsaw

A picture would be nice...  I don't think you would need the exact measurement.  You would need to have some sort of adjustment as the blade wears as well as the grinding wheel - right?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

scor440

I saw a video on you tube where a guy used a angle grinder with a grinding wheel.Also you can google or youtube planer blade sharpeners.

Popeye1

Here is one for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400830853758?item=400830853758&rmvSB=true
I can't see any way to adjust the position of the blade, I am guessing the center of it is positioned perpendicular to the blade surface that gets ground and so it doesn't need adjusted as it wears.

Popeye1

Quote from: scor440 on December 31, 2014, 06:32:24 PM
I saw a video on you tube where a guy used a angle grinder with a grinding wheel.Also you can google or youtube planer blade sharpeners.

Any idea how I could find that video? I just spent about an hour watching a bunch of stuff, but all I can find is jigs for sharpening them once they are taken out.

Thank You Sponsors!