iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark pocket?

Started by danreed76, December 31, 2014, 01:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

While plunging out a mortise, noticed some dark cuttings.  On cleaning it out, it appears there was a pocket of bark in the center of the tree.  No external indications of knots or damage.  Does this make the mortise unusable, or can the void be filled with something and the timber salvaged?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Jim_Rogers

Is the internal bark pocket on the top end of the mortise or the bottom bearing end?

If it's on the top, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's on the bottom bearing end then you may need to repair it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

danreed76

Its in the bottom of the mortise, which is why I was concerned. 

Any recommendations on a repair material?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

beenthere

Out of focus pic, so hard to tell other than your description.
Repair with an implant of solid wood or maybe the West 2-part epoxy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Mortise away the bark and place a block in the same size as the mortise, secure it with a wood screw or timberlok. If you don't want the screw to show, make it look like a peg.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

Hi Dan, first off I have a long history of making do however I do not know your situation, whether you're building for yourself or a client, building codes or not, grade spec'ed plans or not and so on, the mortise has revealed a timber that has likely failed to make grade, so I think the prudent thing to do is replace it.

So regard this as part of the game and a learning experience, so study the stick you should be able to see how the two stems have grown together and where the crotch has knitted up lower down.   
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Dave Shepard

I agree with Roger. The combination of the mortise and the further weakening because of the rot, has most likely compromised the timber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

danreed76

I guess that's the part that gets me is that there is no other indications on the timber.  Had the mortise fallen an inch or so higher, we may never have found it.

I've forwarded the pictures to my PE for feedback, and may have him come look at it.  It would bother me a lot less if it were the first mortise and not the last, LOL.....

Its for our personal residence, for sure I want it to be safe!

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!