iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Kitchen!

Started by JohnG28, December 31, 2014, 12:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Since my wife and I bought our house in 2011 we have made a lot of updates, both before we moved in and along the way since.  We got all new appliances for the kitchen before we moved in, but neither time nor money allowed anything more in a kitchen stuck in the 70's.  Well, last month we finally put things in motion to get the kitchen in better shape.  Ripped out the old counter tops a few weeks back and had new counters installed.  Had to finish out the semester in college, then last couple weeks got to things.  The pictures show the abbreviated version!

Notice the piece of yellow counter to the left of the picture above and to the right below.  That was my old counters, rough!

Has been a few years since I ripped out any walls.  I am now aware that green board is now purple board.  :D

ime
Doing tile I hadn't missed, although a new tile saw did make the job a lot easier than the last time I did tile.  We reused the cabinets as they are cherry and good shape, so that makes life a little easier.

I have some more pictures to upload tomorrow to show a little more of the whole picture. This was my best tile job to date, and luckily so as this will be high visibility!  Anyway just wanted to show all my latest project.  Hope all are having a nice holiday season and keeping busy!  I have new engineered hardwoods to go down through the kitchen and family room after I sheet rock the family room...but that may have to wait until spring!!   :new_year:  :)

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

coxy

that's where my red level went  ;D ill be doing the same thing in the spring  keep up the good work

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

al glenn

samandothers

JohnG28

Thanks guys, I appreciate the complements.  These pictures should show everything together.  Sure is a small kitchen!!  :D :D Not much I could do to make it larger unfortunately, but at least I won't hate it any longer!

These were from this morning.  I have the counters covered up so I can do grout in a little while, yay!  :D  Coxy, it could be, but I'll never tell!!   :D :D  I'll update when I get it grouted today.  If all goes well I should be able to finish the plumbing for new sink drains.  Wife will be pretty happy if we have a kitchen sink again soon! (Notice the only appliance still there is her coffee maker.)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

samandothers

Coffee is very important!  I can understand the need to have a functioning coffee maker.

JohnG28

I got the grout all done this afternoon. It all came out pretty well I'd say.

Here's the finished tile. Now just have to get the sink in tomorrow and I'll be all set!  8)

thecfarm

That corner sink looks good. Heck,it all looks good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kwendt

awesome!!!! Such a lot of work but so worth it, and I'm with samandothers.... Coffee uber important!!!! ☕️☕️☕️
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

JohnG28

Thanks again all. I got my sink in and all the plumbing done as well! Running water and a kitchen sink sure are great to have again after about a month without them!  :D Wired my under cabinet lights up and wired and installed garbage disposal too. Best part was everything worked on first try when I turned power back on. Usually does, but figured something would be off and send me on a hunt, but nope!! I'll get some finished pictures up in the morning before work. Today was last day of my vacation,  not so much rest but at least it was productive! Thanks again everyone.  :)  :new_year:

clww

Great job on the tile installation. It really looks great! :)
I've never seen a corner sink before. :new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

The corner sink was actually how the kitchen was set up before. The original one was shot and we replaced it, but the new one is about identical to the old one. With the kitchen being so small there isn't really a better place for it. And I sort of like it too, it definitely works! Was only way we could have 2 bowl sink also, and we wanted 2. Got a garbage disposal snuck in under one side too, definitely wanted one while doing everything else. I'm definitely happy with the outcome here!  ;D

JohnG28

Well I didn't get around to the computer before work this afternoon, but wanted to add a couple from my phone anyways. 4 long days working to finish up really wasn't all that bad, although a long few days it was!   :D  One project down, on to the next soon. Thanks to all who followed my work on this, I appreciate all your comments!  :)

WDH

You did a very good job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

r.man

That turned out really nice.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Nichols

Very nice work!  smiley_thumbsup  I like the corner sink too!
If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

JohnG28

Thanks all, I appreciate all the complements!  ;D

Magicman

I would say that you hit a "home run".   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

that's the first corner sink i have ever seen and eerrrrrrrrrr now i have to get a corner sink   need to stop showing to wife some of the things you guys do  :)

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

JohnG28

:D :D Luckily my wife doesn't usually look at much here on the forum, she just knows I stay out of trouble and busy and all is well!  ;D I will NOT show her any of those bathrooms.  :o Too much work for me!!

js2743

Is it me or camera angle maybe or is your joints off from the bottom tile to the top ones? looks like they are off by one of the smaller tiles you have between them.

JohnG28

The pictures make it look more pronounced, but they're off by about 1/2 a small tile, which are less than 1" square. Close enough for this one man band!  :D Most are right in there but my cuts around my electric boxes made that back wall off a little more, and after breaking 3 tiles on the first box after none to that point I said that'll work! I stupidly didn't take a complete before and after with my old counters in and all, so the complete change is harder to see. But after living for 3 years with what I had and now having this I'm more than happy!  :)

beenthere

For sure something to be very proud of, and no need to kneel to any critics. ;) 

Certainly, you are not going to knock it out after all this work. Enjoy it.  Soon there will so many things on the counter that you won't know there is anything on the wall back there.

Ours has been collecting things for a good 46 years now, since I put the kitchen together.

Some hints forthwith that our cabinetry (walnut colored formica) is in need of replacing... but I just don't see that as being either necessary or ever going to happen.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

Haha!  That's good.  Yeah, I have to live with it and I'm good!  It could be better, but it's my best tile work to date and I'm proud of it!  And hey, the wife is happy!! Objective complete!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!