iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweep again

Started by kelLOGg, December 30, 2014, 07:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I want to see if this old dog has learned a new trick. There have been a lot of posts on sweep (MM comes to mind) and now I have a log to put what I think I have learned to use.

The log is 16' and 18" big end and 13 small end and has ~4 to 5" of sweep. I have marked with a black MagicMarker approximately where to cut the slabs which should be discarded because boards from them will crook. Correct? Then I will cut the "horns" off and then the "hump" followed by cutting the remaining cant into 1x 6s or 8s. These boards will bow but not crook. Correct?

Actually, I will probably cut the log into two 8 footers to avoid so much loss.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

John357

Hi Kellogg,

I'm really interested in how this turns out.  I have several logs with off center pith to mill too, but mine are much more off than yours. 

From  your description, what sections are the horns and what is the hump? 

You gonna cut today in the rain?

John
Woodland Mills HM126

beenthere

QuoteActually, I will probably cut the log into two 8 footers to avoid so much loss.

A very good plan, IMO.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

You pretty well hit it on the nose. I might be tempted to take a little less off the sides to try and get some wider boards.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

StimW

You will have a lot less waste by cutting it in half and making 8'ers.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Chuck White

Quote from: John357 on December 30, 2014, 08:24:02 AM
Hi Kellogg,

I'm really interested in how this turns out.  I have several logs with off center pith to mill too, but mine are much more off than yours. 

From  your description, what sections are the horns and what is the hump

You gonna cut today in the rain?

John

With the log laying like it is in Kelloggs pic, the horns are on the left of the pic and the hump is on the right.

The horns are the high points near the ends of the log and the hump is the high point on the opposite side of the log, near the middle.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John357

Thanks for the clarification Chuck.

Woodland Mills HM126

John357

HI Kellogg,

After you cut off the hump and mill the boards (assuming vertical 1 or 2 x 8 as posted), you expect those boards to bow.  Will the curve assume the bend that they have now, in the curved trunk?  Or will they curve the other way? 

John
Woodland Mills HM126

drobertson

sawing it as it is, or making two logs depends on what's needed correct?  There will be waste on the sweep and swope sides of the log for certain, but if it's the only one and the length is needed, then get what you can I say.  There will be short boards if left long, and the crook can be minimized by trimming the stress of the barked edges.  Again, it really boils down to what's needed and how many logs you have to work with. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

Quote from: John357 on December 30, 2014, 03:53:14 PM
HI Kellogg,

After you cut off the hump and mill the boards (assuming vertical 1 or 2 x 8 as posted), you expect those boards to bow.  Will the curve assume the bend that they have now, in the curved trunk?  Or will they curve the other way? 

John

John, That's a good question and I will eventually find the answer. My guess is that they will bow the way the tree grew but someone more knowledgeble my answer sooner than I can.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

jwilly3879

If I was bucking that log on the landing it would definitely be 2 8's.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: kelLOGg on December 30, 2014, 07:45:21 AM

The log is 16' and 18" big end and 13 small end and has ~4 to 5" of sweep. I have marked with a black MagicMarker approximately where to cut the slabs which should be discarded because boards from them will crook. Correct? Then I will cut the "horns" off and then the "hump" followed by cutting the remaining cant into 1x 6s or 8s. These boards will bow but not crook. Correct?

You got it
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

kelLOGg

I bucked the log in half after putting it on the mill (easier for me that way) and sawed 1.125 x 9s and 10s out of it. The lower 8' cut was heartpine so it paid off to cut it as 8s.

Top 8'

Lower 8'

Typical of the lower 8' boards.

5quarter

That's some nice looking lumber Bob.  :)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

I was at the Cabin and missed the show.  Congrats on a log sawed well.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Quote from: Magicman on January 03, 2015, 02:43:55 PM
I was at the Cabin and missed the show.  Congrats on a log sawed well.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Thanks, guys. I have had good teachers.
Bob

Alligator

I know you don't want to hear about an Ester Sash Gang, but that log, we saw the black marks, drop it to the gang and bend it thru. Yes the boards are bowed. When they wind up in the middle of 150 layers of well stickered stacks and slow air dried, they are straight when they get to the planer. And you get 11 instead of 9. A sash gang is like having a money printing machine.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

ozarkgem

Quote from: Alligator on January 03, 2015, 05:08:09 PM
I know you don't want to hear about an Ester Sash Gang, but that log, we saw the black marks, drop it to the gang and bend it thru. Yes the boards are bowed. When they wind up in the middle of 150 layers of well stickered stacks and slow air dried, they are straight when they get to the planer. And you get 11 instead of 9. A sash gang is like having a money printing machine.
you got any pics of a sash gang?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

beenthere

Here is a video of a sash gang. The Ehster may be one that takes a log and follows the sweep or the curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq20TErRLuU
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is almost cheating.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

That is one slow edger :o
We ran a Sherman curve sawing edger, when running logs that size the feed rolls on that machine come out of granny gear and shift into high gear, it  saws to the curve of the log and realy spits out the wood ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

John357

Kellogg,

Thanks for the tutorial, I was able to saw up my logs with off center pith.  I cut just as you described, top and bottom, then horns and hump.  I stopped at the pith, but now realize I could have gone through.  I guess we'll have to wait a drying season to see if they're ok. 

Thanks again for the thread.

About to cut the top:

now the bottom:

my first cut was higher than this:

As I stopped at the pith, I condemned the little beyond the pith.  Turned it sideways to cut in half to make it easier to throw on the slab pile.  It released about a 1/4 inch of tension at both ends. 

... but there shouldn't have been alot of tension in this piece. 

I am trying to get an idea of whether the tree builds more tree on the inside or outside of the arching trunk.  So if I'm on the inside of the trunk, will it expand or contract to relieve the stress?   I've seen a few examples and it's still not clear to me.

John
Woodland Mills HM126

beenthere

As I understand it and as the tree grows, and lays on additional "years" or "layer" of wood, each layer has more tension (maybe the trees reaction to maintaining strength as it gets larger ?? ) and referred to as growth stresses.

When sawing, that tension is relieved and can be seen by the kerf opening up. Some species and trees within species will build up more tension than others. Sweep in a log (as is off-center pith) is a sign that the growth stresses are going to show up.

IIRC
south central Wisconsin

Lawg Dawg

Logs can be like people, sometimes finicky, hard to work with, and wishey washey!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Privacyleech

Noob question alert. . . Do you saw the logs into boards like the picture and leave them on the mill or are you re stacking them after you cut them to take a pretty picture?

Thanks!

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 02, 2015, 07:26:13 PM
I bucked the log in half after putting it on the mill (easier for me that way) and sawed 1.125 x 9s and 10s out of it. The lower 8' cut was heartpine so it paid off to cut it as 8s.

Top 8'

Lower 8'

Typical of the lower 8' boards.

Thank You Sponsors!