iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilt drag type sharpener

Started by pineywoods, December 29, 2014, 09:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I have a 20 year old woodmizer drag type sharpener that came with my mill. Over the years it has been abused and not well cared for. It had become a big pile of rusty parts and grinder dust. I took it all apart, cleaned as well as i could, then dumped all the parts in a tub filled with vinegar. 4 days later, it came out all clean and shiney, then got a coat of rust proof paint. A weak point of this sharpener is the small 12 volt grinder motor. That got replaced with a 1/3 hp 110 volt ac motor, fitted with a new hub. here's the finished job

Next major problem was the profile cam. 20 years ago, the blade profile of choice was a 13 degree, with a flat bottomed gullet. That's what came with the sharpener. MY blade of choice is 10 degree double hard from woodmizer. Sssooooo, I mounted a junk blade and attacked the cam with a hand held grinder.  About 2 hours of trial and error resulted in a cam that grinds a pretty close copy of a 10 degree profile.

Close enough ????
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

I like that gullet, looks like it gives good support to the tooth at the gullet transition,, nice work, I have a small 12v motor, it is getting week as well, thanks for the idea!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

paul case

I use 1 just like that, except mine is still in the somewhat rusty and covered with grinder dust and slightly dilapidated state of abuse. Sharpens 4 to 8 blades a day though. 110 volt motor on mine just got replaced last month. Drag motor is getting weak.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

YellowHammer

Looks like it has another 20 years of life left in it. 8).   Do you think there is a big difference drag grinding with a bath on the blade as opposed to dry, like my CatsClaw?  Can you take a deeper cut without burning?  Does it sling lube and make a bug mess or is it pretty clean? Is it cutting oil?
thanks
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Nice job on refurbishing and upgrading your sharpener, Piney!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Hammer, I have always ground bands dry it kinda keeps you honest as you don't hog off a lot of material. The CBN wheels require it for their longevity. Time is money commercially, sharpening services use coolant to speed things up. I have considered going half way and using misting equipment as used in machine shops. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LeeB

I wonder if forced air cooled would be of any help?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

we have used forced air in the past on other types of cutting actions, we added an inline oiler that throws a mist of whatever is the choice of coolant.  Only down fall if you can call it that, is it can become a mess if not cleaned up regularly.  The plus side is a regulator controls the amount of pressure as well as coolant flow.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

I use water for a coolant, but I mix a small amount of water soluble cutting oil (machine shop stuff) mixed in. The biggest plus from the oil is it cuts down on the rust problem a bunch. Blades don't rust either. When I use up my supply of oil, I'm gonna try veggie oil. One neighbor sawyer ran his dry for a while when the water pump failed. Appeared to work ok, but found out the hard way the heat buildup took some of the hardness out of the hardened teeth so they definitely dulled sooner. One worthwhile tip from Bibby, put a good stout magnet in a ziploc bag and suspend that in the coolant pan. It will collect most of the filings and you can re-use the coolant..
I lucked up on the replacement motor. Needs to be 3600 rpm and physically small. Mine came off a discarded hospital patient lift.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

bandmiller2

Piney, many years ago we used a water soluble oil called Rustlick, steel parts would not rust and it even had a pleasant minty smell. The old automotive water pump lube you added to the radiator is also soluble oil. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

If you need to touch up a cam I find a belt type sander works a little better. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have too.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pineywoods

Quote from: customsawyer on December 31, 2014, 03:09:44 AM
If you need to touch up a cam I find a belt type sander works a little better. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have too.

Yeah, make do with what I have is a way of life for me  ;D The belt sander works fine for final touch-up, but I had to take off a bunch of metal to get deep enough gullet. I may tackle making a new cam from scratch to use a full profile wheel..

LeeB

If you make one from scratch please take pictures and document it for us.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!