iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging with Farmi winch

Started by RoundMountainLogger, December 29, 2014, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoundMountainLogger

Is a kubota m9540 to big for logging with a farmi winch?
I'm obviously in the market for a tractor.
I have been struggling with my kioti ck 25 for years!
So I'm trying to find the perfect sized tractor and winch for small scale logging.
Tractor and farmi winching

wfcjr

Not if Farmi has a winch that is right sized to your PTO power.

We have a JD 5095M on which we use a Wallenstein skidding winch.   Just make sure that the winch is matched pretty well to your PTO.

If Farmi does not have a big enough unit, look at some of the other brands like Wallenstein.

thecfarm

RoundMountainLogger,welcome to the forum. I've done a lot with a 40 hp NH. BUT that was on my own land too. So I got all the money. How many hp is a m9540? I hauled out ALOT of white pine 3 feet across with that tractor. But bigger would of been much better. No matter what get a 4 wd. Planning to just cut on your land?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Farmi, and others, make winches big enough for that tractor. I think a JL501 should do it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wfcjr

Quote from: thecfarm on December 29, 2014, 08:10:02 PM
How many hp is a m9540?  No matter what get a 4 wd. Planning to just cut on your land?

Kubotat is 9540 is rated at 95hp, with 84hp at PTO very similar to our JD 5095, that's why I chimed in.

Second the motion on the 4wd.  Also, don't forget chains.  Proper pattern & studded chains, not ladder style chains.

Ed_K

BIL is running a walinstein 12k on a JD 4440. I ran a fransguard 6k on my MF 30 52hp for 7yrs with no problems.
Ed K

David-L

Just sold a 501 Farmi and that was used on a 90hp tractor. Fit well, the 601 is a beast and alot more money. If I was going to get another winch for the woods it would have the electronic controls if it was an every day use item.  part time use the pull cord is fine. the butt plate on the farmi is very handy for decking and road work. Good luck
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

timberlinetree

I like/wish ours had the 2" reciver  for a trailer. I think some do.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

furltech

I  have been running the farmi 501 for a couple of weeks now .I wish i had of done it sooner for sure

repmma

Quote from: timberlinetree on December 30, 2014, 06:34:07 AM

I second that, Norse doesn't have them... at least mine doesn't.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

ahlkey

I have the fx120 Wallenstein on my Agroplus 87 hp tractor with the 1/2" cable going out 165 ft max.  Previously, I had the smaller JL351 Farmi on my smaller 45 hp tractor and with its 3/8 cable was great but with really big timber I needed a larger pull.   Something in the range of the fx 120 or Farmi JL 501 should work well for you on that sized Kubota.  The Farmi JL 61 seems a beast but with its 9/16 cable I would imagine it would be a chore pulling that large of cable all day long.

Agree a 4wd is a must but would also suggest fluid in your tires for traction or chains.  I have fluid in my front tires given the winch on the back and no loader.   

wfcjr

Quote from: ahlkey on December 30, 2014, 06:14:12 PM
Agree a 4wd is a must but would also suggest fluid in your tires for traction or chains.  I have fluid in my front tires given the winch on the back and no loader.... 

Agree mostly... loaded tires make a big difference... but would still want some weight on the front end as well as chains in winter.   Tires of course are loaded all year long.  Run chains in winter on all four.  But also always have grapple on front end when using winch.  First of all it comes in real handy.  Second it provides better balance and counterweight... even with loaded tires.

thecfarm

@repmma,just winch it up like I do.  ;D

Norse has 2 styles with the butt plate that pivots now,model 350 and the 450.
I have loaded tires too. Get the ag tires. These are the wide with the deep narrow cleats. Not the ones with the short wide so called cleats. I've had both kinds and those wide ones are not much good. I use to have not much problems with the ag type. A little bit of mud and they like to spin.
Another idea I got from billm.

The holes in the floor boards holds a chain wrench. I have one on both sides.

And than on the other side is my gas and oil.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

whitepine2

I got a 501 on a 62 H P Zitor,seems like a good match. I find you don't need much over an idle to run wench this will pull tractor over
if not careful.Had mine about 2 years should have had it 20 years ago. Hangups not a problem and can pull whole tree out in open to limb in most cases,if too big cut off and come back for top. Can pull
4 or 5 out at a time nice on this old body.

repmma

Quote from: thecfarm on December 30, 2014, 06:26:17 PM
@repmma,just winch it up like I do.  ;D

Norse has 2 styles with the butt plate that pivots now,model 350 and the 450.
I have loaded tires too. Get the ag tires. These are the wide with the deep narrow cleats. Not the ones with the short wide so called cleats. I've had both kinds and those wide ones are not much good. I use to have not much problems with the ag type. A little bit of mud and they like to spin.
Another idea I got from billm.

The holes in the floor boards holds a chain wrench. I have one on both sides.

And than on the other side is my gas and oil.

Haha talk about being slow, I have been fixed on using the 3pt to move the trailer I couldn't see that as the solution!  I've been meaning to set my trailer to run off the drawbar, I realize it's better suited then hauling with the 3pt, but I really totally missed the possibility of what you showed me!  Thanks, I'm now going to hide under a rock on account of how STUPID I  am! :new_year:
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Puffergas

Quote from: timberlinetree on December 30, 2014, 06:34:07 AM

Installed one on this Farmi:

It's nice because I can back under the trailer tongue and raise it up and away I go.

:new_year:
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Dave Shepard

I added a receiver hitch to my old Farmi winch. I bought a bunch of receiver blanks that had the hole and a reinforcement welded around one end. I put one on my box blade, as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Reddog

Quote from: David-L on December 30, 2014, 06:06:44 AM
the 601 is a beast . If I was going to get another winch for the woods it would have the electronic controls if it was an every day use item.  part time use the pull cord is fine. the butt plate on the farmi is very handy for decking and road work. Good luck

This.

I am running a 601 on a M6800 4x4 Kubota with FEL. The only changes I would make if doing again would possible be a M9000 and electric controls on the winch.

If you don't put a FEL on, try it without front weights but don't be surprised with a 601 sized winch if you need them on it.

Puffergas

With the hitch on the blade/winch it's like having another parking brake. If used as an E-brake I would go into float control so not to tip over.

:new_year:
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

RoundMountainLogger

Update.
Bought the kubota m 9540 and uniforest 55m
Take delivery on Tuesday. (Winch shipping from hud-son)
Tractor is used with @800 hours.

This is replacing my current kioti ck 25 and wallenstein fx65.
(Now for sale )

Hoping to be more productive with this new setup.
Started researching new setup back in November.
Can't wait to run the kubota.
Tractor and farmi winching

thecfarm

milkie62

Quote from: Reddog on December 31, 2014, 02:39:52 PM
Quote from: David-L on December 30, 2014, 06:06:44 AM
the 601 is a beast . If I was going to get another winch for the woods it would have the electronic controls if it was an every day use item.  part time use the pull cord is fine. the butt plate on the farmi is very handy for decking and road work. Good luck

This.

I am running a 601 on a M6800 4x4 Kubota with FEL. The only changes I would make if doing again would possible be a M9000 and electric controls on the winch.

If you don't put a FEL on, try it without front weights but don't be surprised with a 601 sized winch if you need them on it.

I have an M6800 that I want to put a Farmi 501 on.Are you happy with the 6800 tractor for pulling ?

Reddog

Quote from: milkie62 on January 05, 2015, 11:44:24 PM
I have an M6800 that I want to put a Farmi 501 on.Are you happy with the 6800 tractor for pulling ?

Yes, It can be a little light depending on what you are doing.
The 501 should help some there with the 3p lift limits, as it will take some of the weight off the rear. But still has good winching power.

Up too 24" 18' logs are fine.
For thinning or hazard removals it fits the bill well for me. It allows me to log small parcels that might only have atv trail access.
I do chain the front up at times for steering in the winter if we get a ice storm.

milkie62

Mine would only be used on my property or possibly my uncles,no commercial work.Mostly it is to get the log to my logging trail where I can cut it up.Right now with selective cutting,I have to buck it and hump out each piece.I have 3 nice cherries uprooted so they are still alive.It would be nice to beable to skid them the 75' or so in one piece. Are your front tires loaded ?

Reddog

No to the fronts loaded question.

I have a FEL so have plenty of ballast for the most part with the loader up there.

Thank You Sponsors!