iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw blades / board feet

Started by RoundMountainLogger, December 29, 2014, 07:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoundMountainLogger

How often to change a band sawmill blade ?
And where to get sharpened in Maine?
Tractor and farmi winching

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What brand of mill do you have? Welcome to the Forum!

The bottom line is, you change them when they get dull.

There are a lot of variables that determines how long a sharp blade last.
What degree blade am I using for a particular species.
How clean is your log....to be determined by de-barker or hand cleaning.
Speed of your cut.
Metal in logs.
Care of your blades.

Just a lot of variables and others will add to this list.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Banjo picker

Welcome.  That will depend on several things, one being do you have a debarker. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

RoundMountainLogger

It's my buddies sawmill made by quality mfg inc from New York I think.
I AM the debarker...
Tractor and farmi winching

bandmiller2

Downeast Logger, your mileage may vary but two bands a day is close unless you get into a lot of mud and hardware. You will need to ask local guys who sharpens in your area. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dewey

Where in Maine are you.... There is a outfit in Howland...  I believe Thomas Mills in Brooks does also..

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, RoundMountainLogger.

I usually get anywhere from 700-1,000 bf per band, and I have a debarker, so I will normally use 2 bands per day unless I hit something in the log, like nails, wire, stones, etc.

I sharpen my own bands!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

I normally change my band at lunchtime, as I generally always get a half day out of them, but never a whole day, so change it whether it's sawing bad or not.  If it's not dull by then, it will be shortly. Of course, if I throw a spark from hitting grit or start sawing waves, it comes off pretty fast.  Of all the things related to sawmilling, logging, kiln drying, planing, and selling wood, just about the easiest thing in the whole process is putting on a sharp blade. 8). Despite that, there is always a tendency to want to run a band too long. 
Welcome to the Forum
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

losttheplot

I sometimes get two logs out of a band.
Unless they are particularly dirty, knotty, old, big......
Then its sometimes two bands per log.
Five or six bands per day.
Using a log arch instead of skidding helps me lot.

20hp manual mill.

I find it easier to sharpen a band rather than try fighting with the bark, unless its spring time or the log has been sitting a year or so.

:)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!