iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote Wilderness Cabin at an Old Mine

Started by fred in montana, December 28, 2014, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

Thought I would share an adventure.

This past summer I bought a 20 acre patented mining claim in a remote part of Montana. It is totally surrounded by Federal Lands. There is no road or trail to the property. In fact it was so remote, the listing agent had not even gotten in to take photos. It was advertised using only maps and aerial photos for the pictures. The owner was from PA and had never been on the property! His great grandfather (or maybe grandfather?) had patented the claim in 1926. Anyway, on sort of a whim I made an offer on the property sight unseen. The realtor called me back after about 30 minutes and said the seller had accepted it. I couldn't wait to hike in and see just what I was buying. I hoped it had a spring on it because with no road, it would be much less usable if I had to always bring water in.

The following Saturday I hauled the atv to the National Forest, unloaded and drove way down a Forest Service Road. From there, I hit a trail that would get me to within a mile of the claim.

At one point I had to stop to let a family of grouse cross the trail.

I made it up to this old mine site where an old cabin stood. From here, I would have to hike up the mountain.

As I got closer to the property, I could hear the sound of running water. I was very happy to see a small stream at least near the property and I hoped it also crossed the property.

Eventually I made it to the source of the water-a large boulder field. There were no visible markings or fences to tell me when I had crossed the property line but I had entered in approximate GPS coordinates and soon I located the mine dump and tunnel site. The source of the water was located on the property and not far from the mine

There were quite a few mine relics laying around. Here is what is left of an old mine cart. I will show more of the things I found in a later post.

Here is the old tunnel, now collapsed. The old timers had at least 1500 feet of tunnel in the mountain according to the plat from the 1926 patent survey. I wonder how much silver they took out?

I won't be mining but I did want a getaway cabin so as I explored around, I looked for sites where I could build it. The timber is fairly thick- a lot of beetle killed lodgepole and some big spruce trees. The lodgepole are perfect for cabin building, and already dry.

I will have to continue this post later but I did get a good start on the cabin before winter hit. Right now there is about 3 feet of snow in there so I won't get back in until June.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Magicman

This is exciting and the beginning of an adventure for sure!  It will be interesting to follow your progress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Good to hear from you, Fred!  That is an awesome find 8)
Too many irons in the fire

sprucebunny

What a great adventure ! Thanks for taking pictures and showing us  8)

How far did you have to hike ?
I can no way picture an ATV on Federal land around here  :o Is there a Right of Way ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pine

Sounds like a start to a fantastic adventure for years to come.

fred in montana

So, on my next trip to the land I explored some nearby mines. There was one that had a lot of old equipment still around. They must have had a big operation there at one time. I think the mine shut down around 1900.

I hiked back to my land.

I looked closer at an old cabin or tent site that was near the spring. The ground was leveled off and there were remains of an old wood stove, stove pipe, some sheet metal, an old ore bucket and some other stuff. Interesting that there were no logs. Maybe a cabin was here that burned down at one time?

This would be the spot to build on. Nice and flat already and easy access to water. Lots of dead standing lodgepole nearby.

I have a woodmizer sawmill but I won't be packing it in here on my back. I will have to build the cabin with limited tools and materials brought in and use mostly materials from on site.

I cut 4 logs and arranged them on the old site. I am using granite rocks for foundation stones. There will be 9 stone piers altogether. The cabin logs are 12 1/2 feet long. An longer would be too hard to manage by myself.

To be continued...
logdovetailjig.com

goose63

What a deal you have there thanks for sharing. I would love to find some thing like that :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fred in montana

QuoteHow far did you have to hike ?
I can no way picture an ATV on Federal land around here  :o Is there a Right of Way ?

I was able to drive the pickup down a designated forest service road to within about 1.5 miles of the claim. From there I drove the ATV on a forest service trail to a point that is about 1/2 mile from the claim. I hiked that last 1/2 mile.

There is no right of way to drive in to the land- which is one reason I could afford to buy it!

That is ok though because I like that it is somewhat difficult to get to.
logdovetailjig.com

MT logger

Fred I live outside Helena Is that in the Bullion Parks area of Rimini?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buck

I too will be following this story. Thanks for sharing Fred.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

woodworker9

What an awesome adventure and plot of land.  You must be grinning ear to ear.  I'm happy for you, and just a little bit envious.  8) 8) 8)
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

RynSmith

This is very cool!  Thank you for sharing.  :)

Ljohnsaw

Looks like an adventure!  Is the terrain too tough to cut a trail the last half mile for the ATV to drag your WM in?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Great find, and venture.

Is this claim like gold claims, where I heard that the claim has to be worked every so often to maintain it? Met a fella once that had a gold claim in Idaho, and he had to go in to mine it once in a while to keep his claim.  Just wondering.

Time to get a pack mule to help out with the build.

Will the Feds maintain the boundary markers? Or just up to you to pick your own borders?

A Peterson or Lucas might be "packable" to your site. But then maybe not as much fun as without. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Thanks for the great pictures. What an adventure.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Troy Schon

Ljohnsaw

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I would have the water tested.  Out here, all the abandoned mines are causing a problem.  Somehow, they produce acidic levels, leaching out some of the nasties out of the soil.  The water tends to kill off aquatic life.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fred in montana

QuoteNot to be a Debbie Downer, but I would have the water tested.  Out here, all the abandoned mines are causing a problem.  Somehow, they produce acidic levels, leaching out some of the nasties out of the soil.  The water tends to kill off aquatic life.
You make a good point. There is a lot of contaminated mine water in this area. I plan to get a sample tested this year. This is a natural spring and above the mine adits so I am pretty sure it will test good.

QuoteIs this claim like gold claims, where I heard that the claim has to be worked every so often to maintain it? Met a fella once that had a gold claim in Idaho, and he had to go in to mine it once in a while to keep his claim.  Just wondering.

Time to get a pack mule to help out with the build.

Will the Feds maintain the boundary markers? Or just up to you to pick your own borders?

This is a patented claim which means that I have surface rights to it. No need to work it to maintain the rights. If it were unpatented then I would have to work it. I would not be able to build a recreational cabin on it either if were unpatented.

I doubt if they will maintain the markers but I have a good idea where the boundaries are. I have located two of four corners.

I just sold my pack horse last year!

QuoteLooks like an adventure!  Is the terrain too tough to cut a trail the last half mile for the ATV to drag your WM in?

I can't legally drive off of the established trails so I will be having to do it the hard way!

QuoteFred I live outside Helena Is that in the Bullion Parks area of Rimini?
I am wanting to keep the location private. I am sure you understand!

When I was digging the holes for the rock piers, I started finding some cool stuff. I hit metal in one hole so I reached in and pulled out a miner's pick head. I heard it scrape metal as it was coming out so I reached in and pulled out a long crosscut saw blade! Most fun I ever had digging holes let me tell you!

In another I uncovered a large wash tub. It was all rusted out except for the rim but inside was all of their chinaware. Plates, cups, bowls, butter dish, some knives, spoons and a fork. Most of the china was broken from years of freezing and thawing. Two cups and a plate survived. I use one for a coffee cup. Pretty neat to imagine the exhausted miners sitting down to eat. Food and drink is never better than when you are wet, cold and tired out.

I eventually got some work done on the cabin..

logdovetailjig.com

SwampDonkey

Quite an adventure for sure. Including the site unseen purchase. ;D

That old plate and the cups may be worth something to a collector. They have makers marks at least, so you can do some research. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Sounds like you will have some fun there for years to come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackmountain

That looks and sounds like so much fun, and the pictures of the cabin progress are great, not mention all of the old tools and household items.  ENJOY it

Magicman

I can see a pack mule(s) in your future.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

Thank You Sponsors!