iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) Tree Farmer C5

Started by mjeselskis, December 27, 2014, 01:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Just took delivery of this old beauty.

I pulled it into the garage and topped off the differentials, planetaries, trans, and xfer case. The Braden winch doesn't free spool so I pulled it outside to hook it to a tree to try to free it up. Was moving it around outside and lost the clutch... And so it begins!

So far I love the old girl. It has a 353 with small rockwell axles. I think it's around a 1964.

So anyone have any advice on what part number the slave cylinder may be or why the winch doesn't like to freespool?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Puffergas

Wow..!!  8)

I don't know beans about it but I have picked out slave and master cylinders at NAPA. They even had one for a Dodge 800 series single axle truck (1971 or there about). But that was when they had paper books to look through not sure how it works with the new folks behind the counter/computer.

Sweet skidder..
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

HiTech

It looks like a C4...8 lug wheels. Does it have a hydraulic clutch? Is that what you meant when you said,"lost the clutch"? Sometimes a little gear lube in the brake fluid will swell the rubbers so they work. If it has been sitting for awhile the winch is probably full of rust/dust. Sometimes just pulling the side cover and blowing all the junk out works miracles. Then again the master controller might needs new rubbers.

mjeselskis

I've been debating whether it's a C4 it C5 but I didn't think they offered a C4 with a 353. It does have a hydraulic clutch and the rod came right out of the cylinder and it's pretty corroded so I don't think it will seal again.

The winch is all mechanical, looks pretty simple. Still trying to figure out exactly how it's supposed to work. There is an adjustment on the worm gear shaft, but not sure what it does.

tantoy

I like!, More pictures please. Curious how it stacks up to my Garrett 20 that I believe to be around 1968 year. Just looks more modern than my machine.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

drlewis

that looks like my c4 but my winch is behind the seat that machine looks nice.you will like it

mjeselskis

I got the clutch working again. Somehow the rod had jumped off the arm that goes into the bell housing and the slave cylinder ended up over extending and leaking. I was able to clean it all up and put it back together. I love how simple these old machines are.

I'm getting ready to change the oil. I was told to use straight 30wt, anyone know how much? Is the black canister below the fuel filter some sort of oil filter?

David-L

lumberjack48 knows what it is. C-5 early model is my guess. my brother has one.

David 

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

I would run Mobil 1300 super 15-40w for winter and straight Mobil 1240 HD 40wt when temps get to a steady 30degrees or so. They are both low ash and C-F2 rated. Rotella has a straight 30wt with ash that is 1.0 to.

Ohio_Bill

Good  looking  skidder.  Congratulations

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

eichenberg93

that's a nice looking skidder
Quote from: mjeselskis on December 27, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
Is the black canister below the fuel filter some sort of oil filter?

yes that is the oil filter On the C6 it's on the other side and a little longer but should still be the same thing. Between the location, internal spring, and the oil in the canister it can turn into a dirty job real quick ;) 

mjeselskis

Thanks. Is it a paper element? Something that Napa would carry?

Gearbox

You will want to run a series 1 oil comparable to Chevron Delo 100 .Chevron book says recmended to comply with D D two stroke 0.85 ash limit . Only comes in 20 30 40 and 50 wts  . Check with your oil suplier and have them look in the oil book . Do not run 15 40 . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

coxy

Quote from: eichenberg93 on December 27, 2014, 06:41:19 PM
that's a nice looking skidder
Quote from: mjeselskis on December 27, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
Is the black canister below the fuel filter some sort of oil filter?

yes that is the oil filter On the C6 it's on the other side and a little longer but should still be the same thing. Between the location, internal spring, and the oil in the canister it can turn into a dirty job real quick ;)
[/quote I have been running 15-40 oil in dd for over 20 years and my dad longer then that with no and ill say it again no troubles    good luck with it

mjeselskis

At the risk of starting a debate, why is it that straight weight oil is recommended? I'd think 15-40 would be better for cold starting and hot operation

drlewis

i had a 132 franklin grapple skidder with a 353 in it for about 25 years ran shell rot 15 40 year round, never had any trouble changed it every 250 hrs.

timberlinetree

Nice skidder! Glad your clutch is working 8). Is it a chameleon skidder? Looks like its white or green. :D. Congratulations and good luck with it!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

The oil thing is always a debate, the CF 2 rating is for two stroke diesels. The ash content is important on these detroits and the max # is 1.0 , I ran straight #30 and when it's 10 degrees out it's like molasses and I have no way of heating the oil up so found a 15-40 super 1300 Mobil CF 2 that recommend there oil for this motor. Running it all last winter and this winter to and things seem fine. note the CF 2 rating on the jug. It is at the max ash1.0. If you really want straight oil you could blend your own I guess. Good luck. Nice skidder.

xalexjx

Quote from: mjeselskis on December 27, 2014, 07:12:07 PM
Thanks. Is it a paper element? Something that Napa would carry?

I believe its napa number 1180, i changed mine to the spin on filter a while back. I run 15-40 with no problems

http://dieselpro.com/oil-filter-for-detroit-diesel-engine-13618.html?gclid=CIeZ5_7a6MICFXBp7Aod-koA8g#.VJ_z_AIAA
Logging and Processed Firewood

chester_tree _farmah

Nice. They made the c4 with a 353. Pulp wood special were the first to have it. The flat stock fairlead would put it at a late 60s machine if it is original. The earlier ones have the round tube fairlead like mine. I think I did read the very first c5 were no different from the c4 drive train wise. Of course I learned all this from the forum after I bought mine. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

coxy

Quote from: mjeselskis on December 27, 2014, 07:42:40 PM
At the risk of starting a debate, why is it that straight weight oil is recommended? I'd think 15-40 would be better for cold starting and hot operation
why do they recommend 55-65mph on the highway do we do it (some times ) :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) just saying  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mjeselskis

Yeah, the garage lights make it look white.

I got the winch figured out today. It took a while to figure out how to take it apart but when I did I found a stack of clutch disks and friction disks. Some of the disks had glazed and stuck together. It took a little persuading but I got it all apart, cleaned up and put back together. It is a very simple winch. It runs on yet levers. One lever has a cam action that presses the clutches together and effectively locks the center shaft to the outer drum. When the PTO is engaged and trans/reverser in gear the winch pulls in. When the trans clutch is pushed in or the PTO is disengaged, the brake holds the load. When the cam action lever takes the pressure off the clutch disks, the winch free spoils. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow.

346xp

As far as engine oil goes I use mobil del-vac 15w-40 year around.Good luck on the winch I hope it works for you 8)

tantoy

So does the machine have a forward/reverse box before the main four speed w/ reverse transmission?   Is the transfer case just a 2 speed with no 2 or 4 wheel drive selection. Just curious if its the same as my 20.  That winch looks easy to work on compared to my gearmatic #9. Please keep up the progress pictures!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

mjeselskis

It has a "transfer case" that does hi/lo and also F/N/R, as well as a PTO to the winch. The trans is a four speed but I was told the forks aren't hooked up for 3rd & 4th. I'm not sure that I'll need to go any faster than 2hi

The only thing that will take some getting used to is that the trans has to be in a gear to get power to the winch.

I think I'll be pulling some firewood tomorrow. Just need to find all the grease fittings and find a spot to store the saw.

Thank You Sponsors!