iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mushroom soup

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 27, 2014, 01:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

How many of you use mushroom soup in your daily cooking?

We use it for venison or beef roasts and Swiss steak or just to make gravy. We have a big 4" deep cast iron oval roaster with lid my dad gave us 35 + years ago when first married and have used it probably every month since then for roasts, cobblers, etc. We also have a wide assortment of other cast iron including some that was my great grandmother's.

Take a whole deer shoulder, brown it (or not), fill the roaster up with a big onion, white and sweet potatoes, carrots and 2 small or one large can of mushroom soup and fill up the space with water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Put it in the oven at 300-350 degrees for several hours till done. By the time the potatoes are tender the meat will fall off the bone. For smaller roasts use a Dutch oven.

Or flour and fry some cubed venison steaks, throw them back in a big cast iron skillet or Dutch oven and cover with mushroom soup and simmer on top of the stove or in the oven and serve over rice or mashed potatoes. (We generally fry up some extra cubed steaks and set them aside for steak sandwiches which are also real good).

You can take a pint of canned deer, add a small can of soup and water and heat in a skillet and serve over rice, potatoes or toast as a quick meal. My grown daughter will eat the soup/gravy over rice quicker than anything on the place. Its a staple food around our place. (Canned deer also makes great BBQ - just add sauce and chipped up onion and heat - or hash by adding to browned potatoes and onions and season with worchester sauce, hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

We lightly brown chops or chicken pieces then bake them in wild mushroom soup, it's a staple around here too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Venison cubes for stew meat gets put in a crockpot with a can of mushroom soup. Makes a great meal along with a salad and baked tater, some pickled beats, slice of homemade bread and butter.

I package the venison 3/4" cubes about 2 cups in a quart ziplock laid flat in the freezer. Have about 35 pkgs put away after this four deer this season.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Bout the same here, in fact got a pot on now,  works out great for deer,  we do it with pork and chicken as well at times with rice,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Beenthere,

Do you brown the beef cubes first or not? Sounds good except for those picked beets. I may try that if I put another one in the freezer next week (we have 3 days of antlerless season left). Happy New year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

WV
We don't brown the beef venison cubes.  :)  Would make for one more pan to clean.   ;D

Just put in the crockpot with the mushroom soup and slow cook.  Can add potatoes, carrots, rutibages, or etc. if desired.

Here are a few of the 30+ frozen pkgs along with the 2 cup measurer and in 1 qt ziplocs. Flat, they take up little room in the freezer and thaw out pretty quick.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!