iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer compared to timberking

Started by Camerons custom sawmilling, December 26, 2014, 07:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerons custom sawmilling

Ive had 3 woodmizer sawmills and now ive sold my last one and looking at a timberking b20 . How do they compare ? My first two woodmizers were manual and I just sold my lt40 fully hydraulic .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Best thing for you to do is find a Sawyer with a B20 and see if he will let you run it.

The mill that fits me may not fit you.  :)

If your getting your 4th mill.....you must be about my age, 58.  ;D
Thats a lot of band mills.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hunz

Just try to do a search on related threads. These type of topics usually breed death threats amongst loyal branded sawyers haha. Take Poston's advice and go run one; that's the best advice anyone can give.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

redbeard

I will only weigh in a couple of things I don't like about my B-20. Head up down travel is really slow. Cord reel is a problem (several modification fixes). Maximum cut width is 24" Hope I don't raise anyone's blood pressure these posts are not my favorites.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Dave Shepard

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 26, 2014, 07:28:08 PM
Best thing for you to do is find a Sawyer with a B20 and see if he will let you run it.

The mill that fits me may not fit you.  :)

If your getting your 4th mill.....you must be about my age, 58.  ;D
Thats a lot of band mills.

;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom the Sawyer

Cameronscustomsawmilling,

There will biased opinions on both sides, it's just natural.  It really is not something that could be answered without some additional information.  My B-20 is probably a better choice than some mills, a lesser choice against others. 

First thing we would need to know is; what models are you comparing it to?  The B-20 hasn't been made for 5 years so you must be looking at used mills.  So, in addition to the model of WM, we would also need to know what year each was built (both companies refine and improve their existing models over the years), which power source for each (HP, gas/diesel), hours and upgrades or accessories.

Please complete your profile to include your location.  You may get more personalized offers.  I would be glad to show you my B-20 if you are in my area but if you are looking at one from the early 90's it won't be that similar (mine is a 2007, Kohler 30 gas).

Good luck with your search, there is no perfect mill for all situations and budgets.

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

tom h

I had a b20 they are a good mill.I now have a woodmizer lt40 super stationary electric I have put 4000 hrs on. Comparing the two Ilike the woodmizer a lot better. The woodmizer cost more but was worth it Tom H.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Camerons custom sawmilling.

As mentioned, as with any "new" sawmill, you need to put your hands on it and form your own opinion. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Camerons Custom Sawmilling!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Welcome to the woodpile. Tell us why you sold your last 3 mills.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ladylake

Quote from: redbeard on December 26, 2014, 08:53:31 PM
I will only weigh in a couple of things I don't like about my B-20. Head up down travel is really slow. Cord reel is a problem (several modification fixes). Maximum cut width is 24" Hope I don't raise anyone's blood pressure these posts are not my favorites.

Yes the head is slow up-down, you need to get rid of the boards soon as they're sawn
A good industrial cord reel can and should be bought off Ebay from around $100 t0 $300 which make the setworks really work good
If you saw a lot of logs over 30" get a bigger mill. 

On the + side are vertical log stops built heavy, a chain turner which really turn those snarly logs, stationary command post, you can use any hydraulic no matter where the head is, really reliable and easy to work on .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pine

Welcome to the forum.  There are several B20 owners some of which have already responded I am certain others will chime in.  What caused you to sell the other mills?  Was it just outgrowing them or something else?  Just seems like 3 WM mills is a lot of different mills to go through.

Camerons custom sawmilling

Thanks everyone for the imput . A lot of you asked why 3 different mills already . I started with a lt15 stationary and then got a lt 30 portable neither with hydraulics . My last mill was 99 model lt40 fully hydraulic with setworks and 25 hp kohler . Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse so now im without a mill . Ive found a used timberking 30 hp fully hydraulic and with setworks .

Magicman

Will the TK owner allow you to saw a log and demo it to you?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

CCS
You will soon be in a good position to tell about the differences between the WM's and the TK.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jjoness4

CCS
Some of my friends prefer WM and some TK.  In this matter, I must side with my friends.
;)
Happy New Year and Best Wishes with a new mill.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jjoness4 on December 29, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
CCS
Some of my friends prefer WM and some TK.  In this matter, I must side with my friends.
;)
Happy New Year and Best Wishes with a new mill.

Best answer yet!  :) :) :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lirachamo51

I'm trying to make the same decision tk1600 or lt40 hydraulic, i saw the tk 1600 cut at dealer here in ny and it was pretty nice. showed me all the ins and outs, from set up to making adjustments very helpful. going to see the lt 40 run  later next week and will let you know what i think of the 2 after seeing them both work. hopefully it won't confuse my decision even more.
Randy

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, lirachamo51.

Good luck on your decission, you going over to Hannibal?

Where abouts are you located?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lirachamo51

i have 340 acres in thurman, ny. a few miles north of lake george, a friend is a teacher at trade school and they have lt40 so when school starts back up next week they will be running it so i get a chance to see it in action.
Randy

Chuck White

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, lirachamo51.   8)

delvis

Before you buy anything else, get to a products expo and watch one run.  Look at the way it is made, the fit and finish of it.  Ask to see owner's manuals for each machine and compare which one looks more informative with maintenance instructions as well as part numbers.  Find out where the closest dealer for each machine is and whether they have a decent parts inventory on hand or if you will need to have everything shipped to you. 

I've seen both and I've owned one and to me there is no comparison...
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: lirachamo51 on December 31, 2014, 03:40:01 PM
i have 340 acres in thurman, ny. a few miles north of lake george, a friend is a teacher at trade school and they have lt40 so when school starts back up next week they will be running it so i get a chance to see it in action.

I'm right down the road in Luzerne.  Stop in anytime
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!