iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white Oak?

Started by redbeard, December 25, 2014, 12:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Had a customer that hauled some logs up from Oregon. He lives close by me and these were trees his grandfather planted a few decades ago and was pretty sure they were white oak. My phone camera is starting to fail so the purple you see is either a rain drop on lenses or phone wearing out. It was a dark brown heartwood. Bark was off most of the logs and sap wood had some spalt going on. They did produce some nice 1x6"-8" boards. Backwoods you might be able to identifie these because I believe he said Williamite Valley area.

there was some barbwire and staples the took some teeth out you can see the marks on the close up.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WDH

I would definitely say that it is a white oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rooster 58

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sure don't look like my White Oak.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Philngruvy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 25, 2014, 07:56:47 AM
Sure don't look like my White Oak.  ::)

My exact thought.  I guess it is a regional thing.  That is why common names versus scientific names can lead to confusion.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

ladylake

On the end pic of the logs theres way too much sap wood for white or bur oak which has somewhere around 1"  or so, the heartwood does look like bur oak.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

landscraper

I will defer to the forester, but I'm in Poston's camp - that doesn't look like the white oak around here, looks more like chestnut oak.  I think it is wet in the picture which might be darkening the grain and giving me a false impression though.  I'm not using to seeing such a color difference between sap and heart either.  Different climates, different soils, different environmental factors I guess can explain it.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

WDH

Of course it don't look like a white oak around "here" because it ain't from around "here"  :D.  There are several species of white oak on the West Coast. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Could it be the 'tan oak' that grows out that way? Don't know, have never seen any. Just wondering.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

It looks like an oak from the white oak family is all I can say.
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 25, 2014, 09:20:20 AM
Of course it don't look like a white oak around "here" because it ain't from around "here"  :D.

Don't make me fly off the handle!  :snowball:

Lumber Grader

Hi Red Beard and Merry Christmas to you and your family and all others reading this!!!

I graded millions of board feet of hardwood lumber, when I was a full-time hardwood lumber inspector and I also worked as a National Man for the National Hardwood Lumber Association. (A National Man grades lumber, but more importantly settles grading disputes between buyers and sellers of hardwood lumber.)  If you are grading white oak in the Southern USA, it is easy to spot white oak and it is stark in contrast to Red Oak. Not so in Appalachian Areas, as you have Chestnut  Oak, which is a White Oak, but you have to have many, many years experience to tell some Chestnut Oak from Red Oak and when they are mixed in a pile it takes a lot of experience to tell them apart. It is interesting to look at the oak grains in the Northern Regions also. I have looked very carefully at your close up photos. The Member from SC voted NO, that he did not think, it was white oak and I know why he said that, because it definitely does not look like white oak from his area. I can tell you that I definitely believe it is White Oak, from the photos and my experience. Does that mean that I am definitely right??? The answer is NO. LOL  Merry Christmas Red Beard and I hope this post helped you!

Dave Shepard

To me, the heartwood looks like white oak, but the sapwood and bark does not, but as mentioned, it's a regional thing.

I've never see a goat fly off the handle, but I've see them jump off of things from time to time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

I had a goat try to fly off the top of his fence one time. Fool thing could not fly and broke his neck. And after I had just nursed him back to health for two weeks.  >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Goats Y'all got ain't from around here.  :D

tule peak timber

We mill a couple of "white" oaks here . Quercus: Lobata, Engelmannii, and Chrysolepis. Ive read somewhere that Chrysolepis has both the qualities of "red" and "white " oaks. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

We know for certain dat da Goat flew off of the handle jumped da fence because Redbeard stated that he sawed through barbed wire and staples.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

landscraper

WDH so is the tree in his pictures Quercus Alba or something else?  I took "White Oak?" to mean alba since that is the White Oak here, I guess maybe he meant in the white oak family - I'm not familiar with the variants out west, hence the lack of recognition of how different they can look from what I'm used to seeing.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It does indeed look close to what I would call California Black Oak.  It has the heartwood color I see with that species oftentimes, especially with soil disturbances.  CBO is in the red oak family.

New topic:
Here are some pictures of red and white oak taken with a microscope.

Red oak is on the top...the somewhat larger pores in the latewood (the biggest pores are in the earlywood) are not frequent and can easily be counted in red oak; not true in white oak. 

[Do not use the plugged pores as an indicator because the white oaks have both occluded and open pores; red oak is almost always open.]

There is a 100% accurate test.  Put sodium nitrite 5% solution on the wood and then see of the color darkens to almost black or the color stays the same.  In this case, do it on the sapwood.  The dramatic color darkening occurs with white oak only, including chestnut oak, which is a white oak.

Here is a visual comparison - - in the picture which is taken on dry planed lumber, the red oak has the shorter and skinnier rays.  Rays are the lines running horizontally in the picture and are about 1/4" long in red and 1-1/2" long in white, on the average.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

tule peak timber

California Black oak, Quercus Kelloggii 

[img width=640 height=480]
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Kasba

What we call Garry oak I heard is another type of white oak? Does anyone know if this true. What we call Arbutus everyone south of me calls Madrona.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

backwoods sawyer

As a rule of thumb the white oaks looks like the black oak and the black oak looks like the white oak ::)

I find the white Oak here has a high number of pin knott clusters similor to what the last photo shows along with the rich color shown.

These are our white Oak:

These are black:

Sorry no close up pics.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ron Wenrich

Eastern black oak have a yellow inner bark.  It's a good indicator, as it's the only one with it.  Does the West Coast variety of black oak also have a yellow inner bark?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bill Gaiche

Is Burr Oak nearly the same as White Oak? And is it in the same family? Does it work just as well for you when building furniture? Thanks in advance for your comments. bg

Thank You Sponsors!