iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum members on "The Big Island"

Started by Captain, August 15, 2004, 06:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

It was a most memorable day....

My wife and I had a trip to the island of Hawaii in June, as some of you may recall.  Our last full day there was a Thursday, and it was a day free of the group tours and activities for us to get a car rental and get out to see the island.  

We were staying on the tourist side of the island, where there is almost guaranteed sunshine near the city of Kona.  We started with a trip to the "Green" side of the island to the Hilo Airport.  We drove through Parker Ranch property, Parker ranch is the number 2 or 3 producer of beef cattle in the United States.  While climbing in altitude from the dry side of the island, it is interesting to see the climate and vegitation changes as your transition from lava fields and desert like conditions to more tropical rainforest conditions in a matter of 40 miles. The destination was Hilo, Hilo Airport specifically for a helicopter tour of the active volcanoes to the south of Mauna Loa and the coastline.  The tour was spectacular, about 45 minutes of waterfalls, tropical rainforest and volcanic activity....also a firsthand look at the devastation caused by the recent volcanic activity, entire subdivisions now under lava fields, a house or other structure spared here and there from the wrath of Madame Pele.  

But that was not the high point of the day.  A mere 8 miles out of Hilo resides the lone FF Member of the big island.  Situated in some of the most lush rainforest is Steve's open air shop.  Although his Mobile Dimension was out on site somewhere on Mauna Loa, there was plenty of Koa around to look at.  Thanks to Steve for taking time out of his day.

After attending the FF Pig Roast last weekend, I felt guilty about not getting this on sooner.  Better late than never...

Captain

Frank_Pender

Now, that is a real pair to draw to. :D  Which is the tourist and which is the sawyer? 8)  I sure wish I had know about Steve when I was there 10 years ago, :'( I am sure I would had a great deal more fun sawing Koa.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!