iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poll 'How many leak free years from your boiler?'

Started by chet, December 24, 2014, 11:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Lentz

CB EC-2400 - installed in 2010. No leaks knock on wood  ;D
Have been surprised at how many parts have failed though - blower motor, several solenoids, water level sensor.....
This unit runs 365 days a year.
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

boilerman101

2010 Eclassic 2400 no leaks and running great. Replaced a low water sensor in 2012. Upgraded Firestar 1 to a Firestar 2 in 2012 so I could add the XP wifi monitoring device so I can check water and reaction chamber temps with my smart phone. Love the XP! Wouldn't be without it. Everything else is still original.

Bob Lentz

CB Eclassic 2400 - this is 6th year - still going strong - i run it 365 days a year.
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

superwd6

change mine from 6-10 to 1-5 please :(.7 heating seasons on my 2300 E-classic. put sheet metal screw in hole till summer :-\

toolroomguy

I just shut down after my 3rd season with a Central Boiler E-2400 and found a leak from the air channel at the back of the unit. It looks to be in a difficult area to repair since it will require cutting away the air channel to get to the leak. I am starting the process of calling the dealer I purchased it from today and will keep a post of the process.

OK the dealer suggested sending the unit back to CB for repair instead of trying to do a field repair. CB will dismantle inspect and repair. I submitted water quality samples and records with all numbers to CB recommendation. The dealer picked up the unit and will load it on a CB semi next trip from the factory. continued After 3-4 weeks I was told CB inspected and the repair is 100% on them. CB will pay for return shipping plus they will send 2 bottle's of rust inhibitor. My cost will be the shipping there which CB helped with.
I feel they honored their warranty and would recommend doing business with Central Boiler.

WellandportRob

Going on my second week with my Portage & Maine, so far no leaks :D
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

chet

Same with me. I just installed the E-Classic that I purchased new a couple years ago, replacing my old one that still wasn't leaking. This new one is the same one that I had to repair a hole in the water jacket, when the unit was still brand new.

Tomorrow will be 8 days with no leaks. But I was holding my breath when I fired it up.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

blackbruin

Have a Mahoning owb, going on 17 years no leaks, I have double dosed rust inhibitor twice a year, when it's down for the summer I empty it out of all ash and use a soft stainless bristle on a drill and a scraper to remove creosote.  Neighbor has had his for about 15 and they just rebuilt his water jacket for about $1000.  But he has had it over fire and boil out about 3 times, his daughter, wife forgot to close ash door and his air intake flap froze open. 

Bert

blackbruin- Mahonings are pretty popular around me. I know some going on twenty years. I bet your somewhere near Western PA.  Do you burn coal? I had one that lasted about 10 years before it fell apart. The door was warped, jacket rusted out where the stack comes out and water jacked got some holes in the seams within a few months. I contemplated fixing but decided on new since this is my sole heat source. I decided to go with a Hoss this time around and so far so good.
Saw you tomorrow!

sawmillman

I have an Aquatherm that went into service in 1997. It developed its first pinhole leak in the outer jacket in its 16th heating season. I repaired it with JB Water Weld and it is still holding.  It has since developed another 3 pinhole leaks also repaired with JB Weld.  I know this boiler is now operating on borrowed time but I have a backup heating system if it fails. I have replaced the circulating pump twice, the blower motor twice, the temperature relief  valve once and the expansion tank once. The inner jacket next to the firebox is stainless steel and has never leaked. I called Aquatherm to see if I could buy another unit without all the peripheral devices (gauges, relief valves, motors, aquastat, etc.) and they said I could not but they would make me  a good deal on a newer model since I am a returning customer.
Homemade bandmill, Stihl ms290, Stihl 440 Magnum, Stihl 101 pole saw, Poulan 3700

Wood Shed

Starting my 11th season with my CB 6048 (fingers crossed).
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

coxy

the 6048 has a little thicker metal than the 5048 don't they

Upstateguy650

Eclassic 2300.  Going on 8th year.  Just fired it up for the winter heating season.  Previous owner didnt have any major problems.  Just your common door seal replaced, solenoid and a few other common replacements.   

jollyrogers100

My wife's grandparents had an AquaTherm that made it 15 years...it would have lasted longer if they would have used inhibitor and not just straight well water...
Energy King 480EK, 1967 Ford 4000, 12 Ft flat bed trailer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher And a Farm and Fleet 3pt splitter

Brookside

CB - 6048 --  9 years --  runs all year long and has never been shut down.

Regards,

stratford 50

My neighbors e-2300 just sprung a leak, as you open the firebox door its on the right hand side above where the brick were located. My 2300 sprung a leak in the same place a year ago, had to replace it, steel toooo thin to weld! vintage 2008,

tedburns

Myself, my son and two friends purchased 4 e-2300 classic boilers 8 years ago. Two of them leaked this past year and one was replaced with a newer 2400. The one remaining e-2300 is still operating but we feel that it is a ticking clock. Not sure if Central Boiler will do anything substantial about the leakers.

tedburns

I have been a welder for over 40 years and in my opinion welding these e-2300 boilers that spring a leak, is not an option. The metal is far too thin and I don't necessarily believe that they were ever the thickness that we were told when we bought them.

petefrom bearswamp

Back in NY full time now.
Classic repaired 3 yrs ago and now appears to be using a little water, down about 1/4" in 5 weeks.
Maybe this is normal, I cant remember from when I used it all winter 4 years ago.
No evidence in the firebox as yet, crossing my fingers.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

pete i have 5 of them now everyone that has a welder guy come out and fix them the only thing they do is weld the leak that's what i/we did for a few years  does not fix the problem you need to reline the hole fire box its not hard just time consuming i bought 2 used ones this summer one I'm using the other is a spare the other 3 had leaks that was patched before and the owners got fed up and told me if i take them away they where mine 1 day 3differnt owb with all the hook ups pipe,side arms hot air rads and 2 water to water heat exchangers  8) 8)  this summer I'm going to reline  and sell 2 of them there is a great demand for them here

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on September 29, 2015, 08:25:19 AM
15 - 17 on my fathers central boiler and 8-10 on mine. Still no leaks on either boiler!!

Update, just put a screw in a pinhole it developed last night to get me through the rest of the winter. Hopefully.
e-classic 2300

Logging logginglogging

Made it through the winter sent the pictures of the leak to the dealer yesterday!

chet

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on May 23, 2017, 08:49:22 AM
Made it through the winter sent the pictures of the leak to the dealer yesterday!

I wish you luck. My experience with them has been that you might as well start your first fire with the warranty papers. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

petefrom bearswamp

Mine is still holding, water use seems to be normal.
Plan to burn all yr now and use my Hemlock slabs in the summer for domestic hot water heating.
When it springs another leak I'll get hold of coxy.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 24, 2017, 07:46:14 AM
Mine is still holding
When it springs another leak I'll get hold of coxy.
who is that  :)  I just got another one give to me that leaks that I'm going to fix and give to my daughter I'm up to 5 of them  give me call anytime pete except when its -20 out  :D

Thank You Sponsors!