iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western star cruise control

Started by Firewoodjoe, December 24, 2014, 05:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I'm driving a 2004 western star 6 axle loader truck and the cruise stopped today which also runs your high idle for loader time. Does anyone know where the power supply comes from. I've traced wires to the main harness. And there's no listed fuse for it in the dash panel. Thanks

Woodhauler

mine did that, but it was a funny problem. never solved it. came back on when it was ready.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Gearbox

Check your clutch switch first if not make sure your throtle is not cloged up with dirt and staying down a bit . sometimes just putting the throtle down and then sliding your foot off to let it snap back will work . the cruse workes off the ECM and is set by RPM's rather than speed . hope this helps Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

redprospector

Hahaha. Man times have changed.
The last truck I had was a 1973 Kenworth W900. Cruise control, heck I didn't even have power steering.  :D For high idle, there was a T-handle on the dash. Sometimes I miss that old truck...but it's a good miss.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Gearbox on December 24, 2014, 08:12:26 PM
Check your clutch switch first if not make sure your throtle is not cloged up with dirt and staying down a bit . sometimes just putting the throtle down and then sliding your foot off to let it snap back will work . the cruse workes off the ECM and is set by RPM's rather than speed . hope this helps Gearbox
What he said!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Woodhauler

Quote from: redprospector on December 24, 2014, 08:20:58 PM
The last truck I had was a 1973 Kenworth W900. Cruise control, heck I didn't even have power steering.  :D For high idle, there was a T-handle on the dash. Sometimes I miss that old truck...but it's a good miss.  ;D
I used my old generals hand throttles as a cruise! Got on i 95 north bound in maine and pulled it all the way out!

Firewoodjoe

I'll check that stuff when I can. Thanks guys.

cutter88

2 common things that can screw up ur cruise is the fuel petal and the jake switch on ur fire wall check to make sure one of them isn't sticking
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

jwilly3879

Check all the ground connections. Our trucker had all sorts of problems, new ecm, new throttle pedal, new wiring harness and it all turned out to be a burnt ground wire on the back of the head.

NWP

Just cut a stick to put between the pedal and dash.  ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

CTL logger

Is the cruise in dash or on the shifter? I had that problem in my 07

Some units have two vehicle speed sensors on the transmission
One for the speedo and one for the cruise/high Idle/eco
we've had some die on some of our units and either speedo dies or no hi
Idle
sometimes a bad alternator can be a culprit as well

Ford_man

I had the same problem with my 06 Freightliner with a Detroit. Fought it for 3 years and finely found that a pin conector on the ECM was loose. I think the pin was (P21) the mech tightened it and have had no trouble with it since. Good luck

redprospector

Quote from: Woodhauler on December 24, 2014, 08:27:38 PM
Quote from: redprospector on December 24, 2014, 08:20:58 PM
I used my old generals hand throttles as a cruise! Got on i 95 north bound in maine and pulled it all the way out!
Haha. Jim Croce had a song about driving a truck. The cop told him that "95 is the route you are on, it was not the speed limit sign."  :D I've used the hand throttle to rest my leg more than once.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Firewoodjoe

Wow lots of spots. It's on the shifter. Not the dash. I had two broken grounds for the head lights so maybe that's it.

CTL logger

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on December 26, 2014, 12:02:32 PM
Wow lots of spots. It's on the shifter. Not the dash. I had two broken grounds for the head lights so maybe that's it.
OK mine was on the shifter as well and I just talked to a friend of mine who had the same issue in both cases it was a loose wire inside the plastic box on the shifter. I tore it apart and either tightened the loose connection or put in a new switch I can't remember now which one was the fix. I ran into another friend last night with a 06 same issue he said it ended up being the harness that plugs into the ecm. The harness was 465 bucks 2 new switches for dash were 100 bucks so he put them in the dash now. Good luck hope it helped.

Firewoodjoe

Where is the ecm? I wish I had a wireing schematic for it. Because I lost cruise first. Still had the high idle for another day.

Firewoodjoe

Ok. Left side of engine? I have no power at my switches. So should there be power source coming or going from the ecm? Pedals?

Firewoodjoe

Ok I've done a lot of Googleing. Found a page that said the park switch is the only one that will cause the high idle to not work. But if it were the ecm or wherever it comes from prior to the park brake switch that could also be it right?

CTL logger

What brand engine is in the truck if it's a Cat it's on the drIvers side of the engine the harness for cruise but if you open dash the wires are labeled cruise and their's two plugs to plug into switches you need to buy two new switches for the dash

Firewoodjoe

Firewoodjoe

Well I think this may be beyond my ability. Today she just took off on me. Hit 65 mph and was still pulling hard. I reached down and flipped the cruise switch on and off and it stopped. Must be more then a bad switch or wire.

lumbertick

We had the same problem on our 04 western star log truck and we just took the switch out of the handle... Just touch the two wires together and that will set the idle for when ur loading...

Firewoodjoe

Nope. There's no power. Except when it wants I guess.

snowstorm

mine lost power to part of the fuse panel once. there was a stud with plastic around it and bolted to the fire wall. had trouble with that and a wire harness plug going to the panel 

Thank You Sponsors!