iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Maple sawing ideas

Started by rooster 58, December 23, 2014, 06:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I have three maple logs that show signs of salt to saw. The smallest is 20" at the small end. The largest is 25". I was wondering what you boys think I should saw out of them for good sale value?

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

scully

Open it up an 1 1/8 at a time then 2" live edge unles 1 side is bad then do live edge book match
I bleed orange  .

gfadvm

I've sold all the spalted maple I've sawed at 4/4. And looking for more!

taw6243

diagonal slices 2 1/4" thick 4 to 5 feet long for coffee tables

Tim
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

FarmingSawyer

I too have some huge spalted maple logs to saw......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Rooster, do you advertise your lumber after its sawn?
If you do, don't shoot yourself in the food by sawing up a bunch of Spalted Maple and taking a guess at what customer's want.

Advertise you have the logs and for them to get in touch with you as to what size boards they want. Usually a craftsman will want different thicknesses and widths when it comes to Spalted woods.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

Unless you have someone willing to buy the log, I would saw it and decide on a price after you see how good it is. Take a few live edge slabs, some 4/4 and some 6/4. Number your boards and sell the best pairs as book matched sets. don't forget to get a couple pics..  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

steve marek

I cut some for wood turner 2 4 6 in 
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

rooster 58

Thanks Dave
     I was going to ask you how you advertise on CLUB as far as what categories you place your ads in. I am new to getting logs like this. I have usually done custom sawing for other people. My situation is different now, which I will reveal in a new post.
    Too all other responses to my inquiry,  I appreciate very much your advice. I had especially thought about wood turners

redbeard

Rooster a majority of spalting spreads form log ends. 8'-10' log lengths works the best. The trick is to know when to mill log if your going after boards that are spalted consistent the full length of board. Those are desired and higher value. Even if logs are punky on the ends doesn't mean it goes the full length. Weather conditions in my area are perfect for letting Maple n Alder spalt. I do a lot of trial n error with these logs so Iam not a expert but I have learned a lot trying different things.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redbeard on December 24, 2014, 05:24:04 PM
The trick is to know when to mill log if your going after boards that are spalted consistent the full length of board.

Its a guess and a crap shoot.....but if you hit it right..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rooster 58

These logs were delivered to my mill. There was an 18' and a 9'. I noticed the butt of the 18 was spalted. When I cut it in two, I saw signs of salt at the buck. The other log may have been a top log from the 18 footer. I'll saw them on a weekend alone when I can take my time and do a good sticker job too ;)

Thank You Sponsors!