iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking trees without permission

Started by chain, December 23, 2014, 05:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

For the second straight year I've had white oak trees taken without permission! Flagrant trespass and stealing. Yet, what a safe commodity to steal and not be caught unless actually caught sawing the tree down. Is there a better way to protect my trees? Our property boundaries were in excellent shape, bright tape and bright orange boundary paint, but no, the temptation just too much for the thief, I guess.

So what about hi-tech for protecting valuable timber? A chip placed inside the bark, enabling a warning system to trigger when tree is felled? Is there anything out there in the GPS field for theft prevention of timber?

ohiowoodchuck

Was it a timber harvest on a neighbors property and they came across and take a few or did somebody take a few for firewood. I believe you can buy insurance on your timber just like they sell crop insurance.
Education is the best defense against the media.

BradMarks

Not that it will work per se, but do you have it posted: No Trespassers/Violators will be prosecuted. Or Shot!!

coxy

if it was your neighbors having there land logged and they stole from you   you should be able to get there names and have them put in a nice set of chrome bracelets  ;D

chain

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on December 23, 2014, 06:44:10 PM
Was it a timber harvest on a neighbors property and they came across and take a few or did somebody take a few for firewood. I believe you can buy insurance on your timber just like they sell crop insurance.

There was a timber harvest on adjacent property. The loggers were in and out several times over the year, hate to accuse anyone but one individual or two could have moonlighted the theft, who knows? Would not be firewood as tons of tops laying around for firewood use.

Woodboogah

You should be able to get the name of the logger from the town or adjacent landowner.  I know in NH you have to have your intent to cut visible at the site and that would have the name who is responsible for the harvest.  I would pursue this, especially if it is not the first time.  Timber theft in NH is not taken lightly.  There is nothing worse then a thief!  Good luck to you.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

ohiowoodchuck

There's a similar case up here. Loggers cut 500 ft over a property line. Logger had a contract saying he wasn't responsible, because landowner was to show property line. The trespassed owner can't get the guy who had his timber cut to answer the phone or call him back. So he got a forester and a lawyer and is going to get everything he can get. The guy has a load of money and would of settled for an apology cause he said I could care less about the money. So that's what I would do if the landowner won't say nothing. You just don't lift large white oak into the back of your truck.

Ron Scott

Contact your neighbor and see who was logging their property. The neighbor is responsible for their boundary lines and the timber harvest on their property, but the logger violated the boundary line and removed your timber. With you having your property lines surveyed and well marked, there may some negligence involved by both parties and you may have a case against both. Contact a lawyer and have a certified forester determine the value of the trees removed from your property without permission.
~Ron

chain

We have some fairly reliable information about the incident right now. I hope to work things out without a legal hassle.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: chain on December 24, 2014, 02:06:57 PM
We have some fairly reliable information about the incident right now. I hope to work things out without a legal hassle.
that's the best way if it works out good. Real men use to handle it like that.

Woodhauler

[/quThats what then thiefs hope for!!!  Call the state forestry for starters, check with locals and see if they have history of this!!!!! Get caught once and plead stuipidity!  >:(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Woodhauler

Second year too, Makes you out to be a easy target! Take it to them!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

coxy

Quote from: Woodhauler on December 24, 2014, 03:28:33 PM
Second year too, Makes you out to be a easy target! Take it to them!
im with woodhauler next year it will be a few more then a few more then you wont have any left and  maybe the lo is in on it to why should they get all the money after all you pay the taxes wouldn't it be nice to have some of that money to pay your taxes  ;D

Warped

Makes my blood boil. My buddy had his tractor trailer broken into on our land and they made off with a lot of his metal restaurant equipment. Scrappers!
I posted all 50 acres and under address and name I wrote "Not yours!". I don't particularly care about the "legal proper" way to post land. They want my name they can go to the county records building 50 miles away.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!