iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Good looking stack of lumber. My compliments to your wife since I am sure you just sawed while she stacked and rolled logs on to the mill. :D

DJ,

We still have a few years to go. My wife's Dodge is an '03 and still going strong. I'm driving an '09. Mine has a lifetime power train warranty that came with the truck and I subsequently bought the lifetime everything warranty and everything is basically covered with a $100 co-pay except wearing parts. I fully expect it will be the last truck I ever own, barring accidents or such.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Georgia088

The pictures of your bridges got me very curious. I have to build one.  You guys think red oak will last five years as decking on a bridge?  I assume water oak would be worse.  I don't really know one tree from the other, but I cut some in another tread and was told it was red oak. 

50 Acre Jim

Hey TT, that's a pretty stack of lumber.  Wondering how many blades you went through? 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Magicman

Georgia088, I only used Cherrybark Red Oak as a temporary decking because I ran out of White Oak and my estimate is that it would last ~5 years.  I would not even think about using the Water Oak that we have.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

The log coffee table and log end table guy showed up again today to make two new end tables for his brother for Christmas.
We cut two nice ash pieces with some interesting end grain.

These were ash from one log.

Then I drove over to see a job in a nearby town.

A lot of firewood, I told her, and not stacked where I could get at them to mill up anything. We'll see if anything ever comes of this job.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I have also seen a few piles like that Jim.  They didn't get sawn either.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

well i did one of the most interesting jobs ever.

This call is the result of a satisfied customer passing on my Phone number.

ring ring

"Hello this is the bandmill bandit. How can I help you?"

Customer
"Ive been told you can cut anything!
ME
Well if i can get a sfae and firm grip on the piece i will cut it. What do you need?

Customer
i have 2 pickup loads of LARGE ceder blocks that range from 16 inches to 24' long. Do you think you can cut them.

Me
Probably what diameter?

Him
oh they would range from 30 to 48 inches.

Me
Hmm Ok what are you wanting me to cut for you?

Him
I need barbecue planks for my restaurants, 5/8ths thick and 12 to 16 inches long, 6 to 12 inches  wide and they have to be sawn a certain way BUT I don't know what that means. thats just what my head chef said.

me
Ok well  can you bring one along that is cut the way your chef likes them.

Him
Yes  I will do that. Can you do it right now?

Me
i have about a half hour to finish installing guards and shields as i just did my fall maintenance and then i could do them for you.

Him
Ok ill be there in a half hour or so.
thanks a bunch.

You will notice didnt even ask for a rate.

FYI mill is set up in the shop for the maintenance and I was done the reasembly and was  just going to knock it down to move it out side when he pulled in the driveway.

was a windy day so figured what the heck, for these short guys I will just do it in the shop to save time. 

He pulled the tarp off and there were 2 layers of around 8 or 9 blocks that i would say averaged about 28 inch diameter.

He showed me his chefs plank; 1/4 sawn peice
I asked how many he needed. He said do you think you can about 4 or 500 out of this load?

Could be close but we need to get at then.

So I had him 1/4 split them, and then i put them on the mill and proceeded to do 1/4 sawn x5/8" by minimum 4 wide to what ever width the peices would give me.

He was like a kid in a candy store. 4 hours later I had cut just over 400 real good pieces and about 60 marginal ones.

we finished loading every thing up and as I was placing the last bundle on his pick he hands me 800 Bucks and says if I need more he would have to go to a bank machine.

I asked what he was expecting to pay and said well if i order them through my supplier the charge me $12.50 a piece + freight so was thinking 6 bucks a piece.

I said you supplied the wood so how does $2.50 sound? Fabulous! ill go get the rest of the cash. He trundled off and i figured he was gone. 20 minutes later he was back with another 400 bucks. AND asked me when I could cut the rest of his blocks and would I do Pine planks too?

Of course I said yes any time.

AND I forgot to get a few pictures be cause it was such a random thing i just plain for got.
when he shows up next week to the next load i will take some pics.

He and his family have 12 priate steak  houses in western Canada.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks!  We carried the boards off together and each had his/her own LogRite.  She also handled the scraps and applied the Anchorseal.  I used 2 blades, 7 degree 1-1/4" .045, the second one was still sharp.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My wife won't come around the sawmill much. Afraid she'll get sawdust in her hair.  ::)
She will sneak down there and throw rocks at me and I'm wondering whats going on.  :D
Then she brings out a bag of samiches or chicken legs.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JRWoodchuck

Boy howdy Bandit that sounds like a great afternoon!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Don P

~$2.50 /sf, you da man  ;D

We finished up the big red oak at the doc's house today, we were barely getting the lucas through the wider stuff so about 54" x 15'. I've got 3 of 5 small pieces we got from the branchy top, hoping for some nice crotch wood, instead it opened up into a large old honey bee hive. It looked like they had been long gone, the hole was very small but opened up to about basketball sized inside the tree.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 05, 2017, 06:07:12 PM
My wife won't come around the sawmill much.
PatD and I are 50-50 with the sawmilling.  I makes it and she spends it.   ;D

Darrel

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 05, 2017, 02:33:58 PM
The log coffee table and log end table guy showed up again today to make two new end tables for his brother for Christmas.
We cut two nice ash pieces with some interesting end grain.

These were ash from one log.

Then I drove over to see a job in a nearby town.

A lot of firewood, I told her, and not stacked where I could get at them to mill up anything. We'll see if anything ever comes of this job.

Jim Rogers

It all looks like firewood. The first two pics, fancy firewood and the last pic, not so fancy.  :laugh:
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

alanh

815 bd ft of red oak, 12/4 for side boards and 8/4 for trailer decking, it was a good job because I had plenty of free logs and the customer says it`ll all be smashed and ruined way before it has a chance to rot....

fishfighter

Morning folks. Got some very good news and a bit of bad news. The good news, I will still be sawing, I guess. ;D After many test, they found out as to why I have a bunch of blood vessels growing on my chest. At first, they though that I was rejecting my CRT-D. Ain't so. ;D What they found is blockage in a main vessel in my upper chest that was from having a bunch of picc lines installed over a three+ year period. I used to be hooked up to a transfusion pump 24/7. Now the bad news. They have to go in and put a stint in to get the blood to flow. Really no biggie.

On a side note weather wise. They forecasting snow for us tomorrow. :D It happens about once every 7-10 years here. :D Last time was in Dec,2008 that dropped around 6". ;D

69bronco

Sounds like Really good news! That's the kind of morning news I like to hear!

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: fishfighter on December 07, 2017, 05:38:28 AM
Morning folks. Got some very good news and a bit of bad news.
Hey Fishfighter, I've been following your challenges lately and that's some great news!  Good Christmas gift, yes?
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

PA_Walnut

Best of luck Fish! Keep on doing the good fight!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Savannahdan

Excellent news, Fishfighter.  We've been getting lots of rain so I'm working in the shop.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Magicman

Even with the glitch, that is encouraging news Paul.  Thanks for the update and continue to keep us informed. 

goose63

Hay now that is goos news  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Treehack

This made my day!  Keep on keepin on Fish.  That snow is just extra lube to keep your blade cool, so get to work
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

fishfighter

Thanks guys and yes it was good news.

Lynn, I been thinking a lot about what you PMed me. Still praying for her and hope all went good.

78NHTFY

Great to hear fishfighter that this won't keep a good sawyer from doing his thing.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Thank You Sponsors!