iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustintheblood

My two dogs each have jobs.

The black lab-ish mutt parks his butt right under the mill and naps - even when the chainsaw's running or the logs are flipping.

The border collie is always in a constant state of waiting for the stick.  I keep a little pile of a dozen or so right next to the end of the sawmill, and when I return the head after a cut I throw one.

He never brings it back
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Magicman

That sounds like every boomerang that I have ever thrown but a least the dog comes back.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alanh

I cut this cherry from a dead tree on the property a couple months ago, sold it last nite. Things are picking up, I did 1500 ft of pine siding last week, I have a gent coming for some quartersawn white oak I have and I just got an order from a municipality for two trailer decks and side boards for 4 dump trucks...

plowboyswr

Hedge for stock trailer flooring.

This was the pile that needed edging customer was loading the mill run lumber in his truck as fast as I could cut it. I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of it before he left..
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Magicman

I guess that we all admire/lust over lumber that is produced from different tree species that is not common where we live.  I often see sawyers wishing for SYP or ERC and I wish for Osage Orange (Hedge).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farm29

Hauled home some walnut the other day and some ERC last night not sure what I plan to do with the walnut but I saved it from a burn pile the one log measures 42" -36" diameter

And yes I know it is a sketchy looking load of cedar but had a short trip down the road to home and it was a big pull out of the holler so wanted to make one trip and know they are laying safely by my mill  8)
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

I see some nice recovery from both the Walnut and the ERC.   8)

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on November 10, 2017, 08:04:21 AM
I guess that we all admire/lust over lumber that is produced from different tree species that is not common where we live.  I often see sawyers wishing for SYP or ERC and I wish for Osage Orange (Hedge).

I would really like to cut some ERC, Juniperus virginiana and see how it compares to my favorite tree to saw, western juniper, Juniperus occidentalis
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

Looks like a wiggle wagon with all that weight on the tail end...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Farm29

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 10, 2017, 10:09:35 AM

Yes it was its a dump bed so I run a strap around the bed so it didn't dump before I was ready for it to it was not a load to get on the hwy with  ;)
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Crusarius

Looks like someone stole half your trailer :)

D6c

Over the last few days I sawed up a few ERC that I've had laying around for about a year.  Some is pretty nice...some not great quality.  Since I don't know what it will get used for I sawed it 4/4.  Most about 6 1/2" wide with some 8"
I gave me a chance to get used to the hydraulics I added to my LT40. 

Magicman

That is a very nice whack.   8)

D6c

Quote from: Magicman on November 10, 2017, 04:51:39 PM
That is a very nice whack.   8)

Thanks....bad thing is, these were just a few logs I saved from where my brother cleared about 20 acres of tall straight ERC.  There would have been enough to make about 100 of these piles of lumber but it all went up in smoke.

WV Sawmiller

Started a job about 18 miles from home today and sawed almost half the logs. All WP today. Will start on the tulip poplar logs tomorrow. Mostly 16' with a few 12' and even an 8'er I think. Nearly all 2X6 with a few 2X12, 2X8 & an occasional 2X4 or 2X10 as the side lumber allowed. A few 4/4 but most of that was pretty scrappy and went to the sticker pile. The biggest butt log taxed the limits of my mill and had to rotate and whittle it down due to the flare at the bottom. Actually went pretty smoothly all things considered. 

Other than the height was pretty well laid out. Used the MM trick of pulling the big ones off the top and on to the arms with the hydraulic clamp.

Stack well laid out center stacked.

Everything stacked is 16' and 4' wide stacks. The shorter stuff is roughly dead stacked and will be stacked on top of the longer stuff. Will likely double up on the 8' lumber on top of the 16' stack and a separate stack for the 12'

Hopefully will finish tomorrow. The wife did feed me a nice big bowl of homemade carrot soup and a fresh turkey hoagie for lunch. I could get used to his.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

smiley_headscratch  That was a new one for me so I had to Google "carrot soup".    :P

Good looking lumber whack.

Sorry to hear about the ERC D6c, but at least you can count what you have.   ::)

Bruno of NH

When I was still building a lot of new work my dog Max a black lab love excavators for some reason
Couldn't keep him out of the holes when they were digging
He would just stand there and watch the bucket dig :)
Dog do some funny things some times
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kelLOGg

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 10, 2017, 10:09:35 AM

"wiggle wagon" is a perfect term for that. :D :D :D :D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Continued sawing on same job as yesterday. All poplar except one small white pine. More 16', some 12' and a few 8's. Two big 16' poplars had so  much sweep I convinced the customer to cut into 2-8' logs each. He has been  real good to work with and his wife fed me another gourmet soup and cheesy bread for lunch. I could get used to this. Had been sawing about 30 minutes when a young 4 pt buck walked out from behind the slab pile about 30 yards away and just moseyed on his way. Later I could see a big buck chasing a bunch of does 300-400 yards away so the rut is on.

I will go over for an hour or so tomorrow afternoon to finish and bring the mill home. Still have to finish the tally but looks like 3000+ bf so far.

Cut this nasty 16' poplar butt log that had big cracks in every direction. I think the biggest 16 board was only a 2X6X16. Lots of the other lumber had to be trimmed to shorter length. If we had known the length of the cracks we would have just cut off the bottom 4' and would have been lots faster and easier.

This picture was taken after sundown as customer finished stacking most of today's cut. A few  2X4s and 2X6's still leaning on the end of the mill he stacked right after I got this picture. Shows 16' stack on left includes yesterday's cut with more added today and 12' stack on the right. The customer is doing a great job stacking and stickering his lumber on good level rows of cinder blocks.

I did have a mishap on the mill when when I slipped and hit the fan with large edging slab and broke the internal plastic guard over the fan. Removed it and still have the outer guard. Will have to look up the part and see how much trouble that will be to fix but the mill is still running fine once we got the broken part away from the fan.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Junkyard .... refrigerator rack....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

The outer plastic guard is still intact in good shape. I really don't understand the purpose of the second, inner guard but it looks like an easy but likely unnecessary fix. It is about 6" from the outer guard to the fan inside.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Finished the 3 small remaining 8' poplar logs today. Probably less than 200 bf total in them.  The whole stack for previous 2 days plus an hour today was 3825 bf. There are also some thin cuts the wife will use for crafts and probably a couple hundred bf of short stuff that can be salvaged off the various flare cuts. The customer was happy and I had a good time sawing with him. My wife came over and visited with his wife while we wrapped things up and they had a good time too.

It is good we finished today or we'd have had to move or seriously straighten up the slab pile and sawdust pile. I referred my customer to a friend nearby who makes maple syrup and would be glad to come get all this slabwood. Actually he would use a lot to make chicken coops and rabbit hutches as he is a big time raiser of both.

Got everything packed up and home just in time to unload before dark.
Howard Green

Coltbodi

How about this fine southern pine I had on the mill today.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Farm29

had my first mobil job Saturday a guy i know got a cargo container full of what he was told Douglas fir pine western cedar and red wood these trees are not native around here so i wasnt able to identify what they were for sure but he was happy and i had fun with it cut for 3 1/2 hrs sat then went back today to cut a little more and bring the mill home didnt sleep real well not having the mill at home but we blocked it in with logs and locked the hitch so any thieves would of had to work at it.  all in all i was happy with how it went and the customer was to and with all the logs he has laying around is already asking when ill be back if i can get some close ups of some of the lumber maybe some of you all could identify them

not a very good pic of the lumber stack couldn't get it off my phone so took a pic of the pic with the i pad im not a very tecky person :) 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Darrel

Western cedar?  Could that be western red cedar? Western red cedar is a true cedar, not a juniper like the ERC. I have not heard of "western cedar".  And yes, close ups of the wood would be nice as well as helpful in helping you ID the wood.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!