iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

That's about as ugly as the last tree I sawed.  :D

But with the swingblade you don't have to load and roll the log. Last log was about 6 ft long, and had to trim the crotch back to 36" wide. Tractor couldn't lift it on the forks, but I was able to drag it with a chain, then lift each end with the chain and slide some makeshift bunks under it. It weighed at lease a ton, so once it's wedged in place, clamps aren't needed, it's not going any place. Once I'd got through some bark inclusions I could pull some short but very nice quarter sawn 6x1s out of it.

Not pretty, and a HEAP of firewood in the tops.

Got it down where I wanted it, but as I expected it's still 5 ft off the ground.  ::)

Not so bad as I could cut away all the top limbs safely and leave a "tripod", then hook a chain from the tractor and flip it over.

Lil gets in some selfie time while I work out how I'm going to set up the #2 log, that the tractor could lift.

Opening up the butt log, you can see the bark inclusions, but they soon ran out.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  ;D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_Walnut

I was wrestling with one of those gnarly crotch logs (big black oak) last week. Fell off the back of the mill once, another time it dropped down in between the supports, broke 2 blades, one which got pinches and took me an hour to get out.

Finally had enough: put it on my burn pile (which was going) and sipped a bourbon on the rocks while I watched the fire direct it's evil soul straight to Hell...where it belonged!   :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Looks like you met the challenge quite well Ian, and got-r-done. 

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on October 13, 2017, 10:34:41 PMYou never said what they gonna use the boards for. Must be some sentimental value in those logs judging by the travel and orange spray paint on them. 
Actually he never said and I did not ask.  I did help him look and made suggestions regarding different thicknesses as we progressed through the logs/cants.  The tree was in the "In laws" front yard so there was sentimental value, but "availability" also played a part.  Arlington and Austin, TX won't have many Red Oak trees that large that are available for sawing.

As a side note, I did a "Pro Sawyers Network Sawmill Demo" for the Austin guy.  If he buys a sawmill it will knock me out of a 575 mile road trip, but at least I would get the Demo credit.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, it looks like you really worked for your money on those logs. ;D

You have a safe trip out west. Going to be cold there.

Bruno of NH

Milled up some spalted white birch slabs and boards today :)
And some nice hard maple slabs :)
They look better than the pics came out

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

Today, I was delivering. I have been for some time cutting up some 2x6 fence rail stock for this customer.
Here is a picture from a while ago when I cut some of his logs:

I just got back from hauling three trailer loads of rails to his yard. On the second and third load were some 1x4's that came out of his logs also.

He told me he didn't want the 1x4's and I told him to sell them as they were his lumber.

I suggested he list them for sale or free on Craig's list.
He said that they were more trouble than they are worth.

I told him that I wouldn't bring him any more. He told me to saw them out if they come out of the log and sell them and keep the money.

I guess I will.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I have found that it is easier and more economical for me to saw the cut list.  For example, if the cut list is for only 2X6's and say the opening and second cut could make a 1X4 or a 2X4, I only have to drop the opening face cut ¼" to ½" inch to get the 2X6 and now I have not sawn something that was not on the customer's cut list.  Remember too that I only saw customer's logs and I do not sell lumber.

For example this customer wanted only 2X6's:

And he had twelve 16' SYP logs

When I finished he had nothing but 298 2X6's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

But dat's different....in a way.   :D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on October 14, 2017, 06:05:08 PM
I have found that it is easier and more economical for me to saw the cut list.  For example, if the cut list is for only 2X6's and say the opening and second cut could make a 1X4 or a 2X4, I only have to drop the opening face cut ¼" to ½" inch to get the 2X6 and now I have not sawn something that was not on the customer's cut list.  Remember too that I only saw customer's logs and I do not sell lumber.

For example this customer wanted only 2X6's:

And he had twelve 16' SYP logs

When I finished he had nothing but 298 2X6's.
Just for reference, what was the DSE on those logs?  Just trying to guess how much I'm going to get out of my 22 logs that range from 16" to 24" DSE without having to do the calcs with the tool box.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

You waste a lot of wood that way MM
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

No not really Peter.  Dropping the face opening ¼" to ½" results in minimal loss, but then I work for the customer, not for myself.  Completely different market.

I really can not help you John because I neither estimated nor scaled the logs.  The smallest top was 15" and the largest butt was 33".  One of the larger logs had ~5" of sweep that took out some yield.  One top log was knotty and probably 5-6 broke at spike knots and I did not scale them.  I know, I still sawed them, but that is my choice.  If the customer only wants sixteen foot 2X6's that is all that I stack and scale.  The rest goes in the cull pile for his use as whatever he chooses.  I also do not refuse a tip.

The customer did not have a number of 2X6's that he needed.  As he gets started building, if he needs more lumber he will just fell a few more trees.  I have sawn for him each year for the past 6-8 years.  I took a quick look in my gallery and quit counting when I passed 50 pictures that I have taken at his location.   :o

nativewolf

good to see you post ljohnsaw.  How goes the mountain? Hope you are safe from the fires, wish your rains would start.
Liking Walnut

Ljohnsaw

I am in the clear (again) this year.  Very little smoke in my areas (home and cabin build 60 mile north of Sacramento).  The fires are in the coastal range, not the Sierras this year.  Just heard that 5,400 homes have been destroyed in the Sonoma (wine country) area and it is still 50% or less contained in the multiple fires.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

What an I sawing? Bullets... Real ones.

I did not want to waste the walnut so I made a bullet out of the bullet.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brad_bb

Kbeitz, Hard to gauge the size of that.  Need to take a pic with a coin or something.  That is really something if you turned that chunk of wood into that.  Was it hard to incise that piece of wood out?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Awesome Kb.  I have hit many bullets but my favorite is this one that I did not hit with the sawblade:

The router bit found it when I was making T&G.  The bad thing is that it is now completely hidden within the joint.

terrifictimbersllc

Yesterday I sawed 2 cherry logs for a local garden park association.  Live sawing live edge 5/4 and 2". 

One log was ornery being elbow shaped. After it was on the mill I tried to turn it over and after it went up onto the elbow it went over one of the back stops,  turned at 90 degrees and half went over the side.  Everyone watching and taking pictures including the local paper. I got it back on with the chain and hook without too much trouble.

Here we are rolling the offender toward the mill. The newspaper article says we were "attempting" to roll it.  http://www.theday.com/local-news/20171014/tree-with-cause

No match for 2 Log-Rites.  :D

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

At least it appears that you have it end sealed nicely  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 15, 2017, 08:02:34 AM
What an I sawing? Bullets... Real ones.

I did not want to waste the walnut so I made a bullet out of the bullet.

At first glance I thought you had milled into an old artillery shell... That wouldn't have been fun.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 15, 2017, 10:15:19 AM
Kbeitz, Hard to gauge the size of that.  Need to take a pic with a coin or something.  That is really something if you turned that chunk of wood into that.  Was it hard to incise that piece of wood out?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Delawhere Jack

Three or so years ago a nice white oak tree came down not far from me. The landowner offered it to be used in the upkeep / restoration of an historic sailing ship based in Philadelphia. Some men came down and chainsaw milled the 40' x approx 30" trunk into 5" thick slabs. They finished the milling and never returned. Calls from the landowner were not returned. He contacted me asking if I was interested in the slabs, I passed. About 1 1/2 years ago, a tree service who I mill for regularly did some work on the property and hauled away the abandoned slabs.

Finally the wood has found a purpose. The owner of the tree service co. will be building a new home starting within a year. We're milling the slabs into 4/4 to make flooring for the house.

fishfighter

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 15, 2017, 08:32:02 PM
Quote from: Brad_bb on October 15, 2017, 10:15:19 AM

45.70 cal?

Magicman

Actually it looks more like "junkyard" tape caliber.   :D  (Sorry Kb, but I just could not resist.)    ;D

Kbeitz

I think some here is mislead . The only real part of the bullet is this part.
The rest I carved out of the walnut tree. I looks like someone shot a 50 cal.
bullet into the walnut tree and I hit it with my sawmill. I then carvred that
chunk of wood out in the shape of a bullet letting the real bullet in the end
to see.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!