iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

4X4,

I worked in southern Norway (Kristiansand) 2007 till early 2009 and I saw very few pick ups. Our Norwegian daughter there (former exchange student) said they were very expensive to buy and maintain because of various country regulations (same with automatic transmissions). All the cars, and trailers, seemed equipped with electric brake hook ups and they seemed to have standardized on what looked like about a 1.5 to 1.75 inch ball on a bent hitch. Instead of going to U-haul every gas station seemed to have a trailer or two for rent. You'd see a very small car towing something like a 5X8 trailer which looked too big for the weight of the car.

You'd also see ATVs on the road but they had turn signals. Ruth said they were registered as a tractor, licensed and allowed on the roads which seemed strange to me but that was their policies and I am sure we have similar oddities in their minds.

Oh yeah - parking tickets started at about $100 and I have it on good authority (don't ask) that a speeding ticket was around $1,000 and they use radar camera setups and mail you the ticket.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

50 Acre Jim

Nice pile of sawdust Deese!

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Brad_bb

White Ash. Took two 8 foot logs above this butt log to mill on the LT15.  Used a track loader to lift and maneuver this log by the ends.  This butt log is 24.5 feet long, 37" at the butt, and 26" at the top.  I have to mill it in place down to a cant to reduce the weight so that I can move it with my two logrite Arches.  I have to move it to the road and down the road 1/4 mile, so arches are the only way to do it.  Yesterday the weather cooled down to 69F and low humidity,  which made doing this a lot more fun.  Since my ladder is only 18ft, I had to reposition it during the cut.  I got this one side slabbed off and I took the first 12 feet of the slab home to mill on the LT15 for some wide boards.  I cut the rest of the slab for firewood.  Then I got the log rotated 90 degrees with the loader and wedged it level(not an easy task by yourself).  I won't be able to get back to it for another week though.  My 090 ran well and it cut at a rate of about 4-5 inches per minute I'd say.  Much faster than when I milled honey locust at 1.5 in/min.  Speaking of honey locust, see that one in the background on the left?  I get to mill that next.  Not sure if I'll log arch it out of there and try it on the LT15, or if I'll chainsaw mill it in place.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fishfighter

Now that is really wanting some lumber bad. :D

grouch

I don't understand. Is that pickemup truck in the picture disabled? Hitch on to that log and drag it home! If you stop and roll it over often enough, it shouldn't have any taper left by the time you get there. That's efficiency!

Find something to do that interests you.

Brad_bb

I believe this Ash log weights between 5500 and 6700 lbs as is. When I mill it into an 18.5" square cant, it will weigh about 2500- 3000 lbs.  I know you guys are just kidding, but this will be interesting to move.  After calculating the weight, I may use the tracked loader to carry it up to the road (flat level ground).  It's sitting in a depression now and it's about 2.5 feet to get it up to the driveway, but the driveway gets pretty steep by the road.  I may have to put the big arch on the back end, and pull it up to the road my chaining the the other end to the loader forks and backing up the driveway to the road.  Too bad I don't have a helper!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: fishfighter on August 05, 2017, 02:00:09 PM
Now that is really wanting some lumber bad. :D
Yeah, I have to agree with FishFighter, that's a whole lotta work there...   ;)

50 Acre Jim

I fired up the sawmill and cut some 1"X12" boards that will become paneling in a house we are remodeling. My neighbor gave me the log and I don't know if it's a White Oak or a Walnut. But it sure is pretty!

drobertson

not sure about your timber out that way, and that is some pretty character, it looks very similar to some of our hickory out this way.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishfighter

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 06, 2017, 10:40:46 AM
I believe this Ash log weights between 5500 and 6700 lbs as is. When I mill it into an 18.5" square cant, it will weigh about 2500- 3000 lbs.  I know you guys are just kidding, but this will be interesting to move.  After calculating the weight, I may use the tracked loader to carry it up to the road (flat level ground).  It's sitting in a depression now and it's about 2.5 feet to get it up to the driveway, but the driveway gets pretty steep by the road.  I may have to put the big arch on the back end, and pull it up to the road my chaining the the other end to the loader forks and backing up the driveway to the road.  Too bad I don't have a helper!

Tractor with a chain on the 3 point hitch, lift that end, I would drag that sucker to level ground.

derhntr

Sawed some Acacia live edged slabs in half today. The wood is from Myanmar, it seemed to be pretty dense and very hard. Only 3 short slabs 26" 42" and a 79" all 22-23 inch wide. 2 1/2" thick. Customer was really pleased with the job.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Magicman

Our weather forecast is predicting rain daily for the next 10 days, so there will be no sawing by me.  I did talk with a couple of customers to let them know that I was ready when we got a weather break.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Present temp 92 F 108° H 92° L Manama, BH

No rain here. Humidity is about thick enough to swim in though. No sawing for me though. Not until I get back home anyway. Got some white oak and some hickory waiting for me but don't know if I'll get to them. Got fence to put in and a barn to move.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on August 07, 2017, 10:26:51 PM
Our weather forecast is predicting rain daily for the next 10 days, so there will be no sawing by me.  I did talk with a couple of customers to let them know that I was ready when we got a weather break.   :-\

Same here. Rain, rain and more rain. :( Only good thing about that is that it drops the temp 15-20 degrees.

Magicman

This rain is dealing us in the South much misery.  Maybe I shoulda stayed in Michigan or Maine??

The forecast for the next 10 days shows rain following the temperature swing each day !!   There will be no sawing.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

I have a 2 man crosscut saw in the garage that looks just like that.
Find something to do that interests you.

thecfarm

Magicman,I would be glad to see ya again.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

MM, that is one ugly forecast.
HM126

YellowHammer

With the rain, I'm having trouble getting fresh logs, so it's time to start cleaning up the logs I have stacked aside and aging and cut into live edge slabs. 

Below is a lumpy, bumpy hard sugar maple.  It had some nice figure but also had been dumped in the mud and was covered with it.  Unfortunately, I don't like to use the debarker for live edge slabs, as it cuts a groove in the wood that later detracts from its appearance. So, oh well, let the dust fly.

I also had a nicly figured wormy maple I'd been aging for several months, and it turned out some eye popping slabs.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Nice YH, I did not know you had hard Maple down there.
I have two truckloads of rock Maple I want to make lumber with tap holes in it.

I do have some old blades I'm going to use to cut it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

Lynn, I'm swimming down here. It's got to stop soon. BUT, all this rain is helping my Teal hunting holes big time. They should be starting to show up at any time. 8)

Magicman

Those Maple slabs are eye popping pretty YH.   :o

DPatton

Those maple slabs are amazing!!!! :o :o :o :o :o WOW!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Im assuming all that beautiful outside grain is not to punky.
Thats some purdy stuff!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!