iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I just finished the last of the red oak and sprayed 2 applications of disodium octaborate tetrahydrate to each board. I am whooped, and I refuse to stack them by myself. It's just too hot. Backed the trailer under the shed and will probably stack them tomorrow when I find some help. About to relocate the mill abut 10 miles down the road to saw a bunch of syp. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

btulloh

50AcreJim:  It sounds like poplar with that kind of movement in the cant.  Most of the poplar I've cut had more tension in than it should have based on the standing tree.  Don't get too worked up over it.  You didn't saw into the backstops.  No lives were lost.  You got sawdust in your pockets.  All good.  The first log is always the hardest.  It gets easier quickly.  After five or six hundred logs things start to smooth out.  :D  Actually it gets better a lot faster than that. 

I got my saw set up about this time of the year and found out that sawing is better when the weather is cooler.  (There wasn't a big learning curve on that part.)  By the time I got organized, re-aligned the mill a couple times, and sawed a few logs, the weather was getting cooler and I was starting to figure it out a little.

Congrats on making your first lumber.  Check your bunks and alignment and keep making sawdust.   
HM126

paul case

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 22, 2017, 03:11:23 PM
  What I do know for sure is that I suck at milling wood almost as bad as I suck at painting.

I had great expectations for this tree (13" diameter on one end, 18" on the other and 16' long) I expected would give me a 13" cant.  But for some reason it didn't turn out quite that way.

JIm,
Too high expectations can lead to big disappointments. Unrealistic if you ask me, to think you can get a 13'' cant from a 13'' log. I think it is 1/3 bigger log to get a clean cant. To get a clean 9x9 cant you need no less than a 12'' log. Even good looking logs can have tension wood. I suspect that the pith on that log may have been off center.
Keep on sawing. Learn something every day and before long you will have it down.

Deese,
Man you need to get set up to sticker that stuff right off the mill and not handle it 4 times to get it where you want. You are wearing me out and I am just watching from 3 states away!!!! Good looking Quarter sawing there!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: paul case on July 22, 2017, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 22, 2017, 03:11:23 PM
  What I do know for sure is that I suck at milling wood almost as bad as I suck at painting.

I had great expectations for this tree (13" diameter on one end, 18" on the other and 16' long) I expected would give me a 13" cant.  But for some reason it didn't turn out quite that way.

JIm,
Too high expectations can lead to big disappointments. Unrealistic if you ask me, to think you can get a 13'' cant from a 13'' log. I think it is 1/3 bigger log to get a clean cant. To get a clean 9x9 cant you need no less than a 12'' log. Even good looking logs can have tension wood. I suspect that the pith on that log may have been off center.
Keep on sawing. Learn something every day and before long you will have it down.

PC
Oh my, so sorry Paul.  I meant a 9" cant, not 13.  I was using the formula of diameter X .7 to get the size of the cant and I miss-typed the size in my post.    The formula worked but the tension in the cant made things rough.  I cut an inch of my 9" cant which accounts for the 1"X9" board.  I should have been able to get 4 2X8's out of the remaining cant but after 2 cuts the cant was so bowed up that I just abandoned the project and put the 5X8 cant into the beam pile. 

Apparently I am no better posting than I am painting or milling....   :-) 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Deese

PC you right my brother! My next project is putting forks on my tractor.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

btulloh

Jim, you'll get better at milling, but I'd suggest forgetting about the painting.  Painting is not something you want to be good at.  Leave the painting to others when possible and when not . . . procrastinate.  At least that's my approach.
HM126

50 Acre Jim

For those who have the patience to watch, here is a 2-minute video of my first log.  Seemed to me like it went well but the second cut started a trip from h*ll.  Sorry, the camera battery gave up before the second cut started so I can't show you any more than the first cut. 

Anyone who see's something that I'm doing wrong, please tell me.  TIA 

Jim

https://youtu.be/GCT6Xx9Yog8

Peter Drouin

[quote author=50 Acre Jim link=topic=80057.msg1498445#msg1498445 date=1500771707

Jim

[/quote]

Looking good,
Which end do you pull off the lumber?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

I may be wrong but the end of that log looks more to me like a maple than a poplar. I can't tell from the shots of the bark I saw. Get rid of that broom and get you a 12" dry wall knife to scrape the sawdust off the cant/boards. HF also has a good deal on 9" shop brushes. A leaf blower is also one of the handiest things around the mill. As mentioned sticker as soon as possible to prevent multiple handling. I flat stack on a trailer and haul it to my shed and stack and sticker then take my leaf blower and blow out the stack again after stacked.

Just keep on practicing. Go ahead and saw into the side supports and roll a log or two completely over the mill and leave you toeboard up and cut log wedges and get those mistakes out of way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

That mill is going to make you some good lumber Jim.  Looks like maple to me too.  Looks dry.  You would have an easier time with some green logs.

I think I usually see a dust chute of deflector on the output side to send the sawdust down to the ground instead of straight out.  That a bucket to catch the dust will help with the sawdust.  X2 on the drywall knife.  Best tool there is for getting sawdust off.  Put a 3 foot handle on it.

Looking good.  Nice machine.
HM126

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 22, 2017, 09:32:28 PM
Looking good,
Which end do you pull off the lumber?
I pulled it off the side that is open.  BTW, the mill isn't going to stay here, this is just where i built it.  I'll build a shed on the other side of the barn for it.  I was just anxious to cut some wood.  :-)

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 22, 2017, 09:44:27 PM
Jim,

I may be wrong but the end of that log looks more to me like a maple than a poplar. Get rid of that broom and get you a 12" dry wall knife to scrape the sawdust off the cant/boards.

Just keep on practicing. Go ahead and saw into the side supports and roll a log or two completely over the mill and leave you toeboard up and cut log wedges and get those mistakes out of way.
Only reason I missed the log support today was the blade guide hit it instead.  :-)  Thanks for the tip on the sheetrock knife. 

Quote from: btulloh on July 22, 2017, 10:53:19 PMI think I usually see a dust chute of deflector on the output side to send the sawdust down to the ground instead of straight out.  That a bucket to catch the dust will help with the sawdust.  X2 on the drywall knife.  Best tool there is for getting sawdust off.  Put a 3 foot handle on it.

Looking good.  Nice machine.
Thank you Btulloh, I will get a dust chute made today.  But after a week of building this thing I was ready to use it! 

ladylake

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 22, 2017, 09:01:47 PM
For those who have the patience to watch, here is a 2-minute video of my first log.  Seemed to me like it went well but the second cut started a trip from h*ll.  Sorry, the camera battery gave up before the second cut started so I can't show you any more than the first cut. 

Jim

Your cutting way too slow, push it until the motor starts to work hard but not so hard that it slows down a lot.  When you make a cut and turn over 180 and the ends are off the bunks you need to put more pressure on you end jacks, the log in this vid doesn't have much stress, when there is a lot of stress both ends of the slab or board will lift off the cant as you cut them. The worst ones I've cut lifted maybe 6" on both ends.  When you get a lot of stress like that its best to cut the cant a little over sized and then trim it down.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

derhntr

I agree with Ladylake sawing to slow
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: ladylake on July 23, 2017, 05:10:11 AM
Your cutting way too slow, push it until the motor starts to work hard but not so hard that it slows down a lot.    Steve

Quote from: derhntr on July 23, 2017, 08:55:51 AM
I agree with Ladylake sawing to slow

Thanks, fellas, that's why I posted the vid.  Have never run a bandsaw and only watched it done once before so had no idea what to use as a reference.  I figured I was going slow but didn't want to rush anything.  I'll listen for the motor and my guess is that as time goes on I'll gain a "feel" for how the saw is working. 

Can't wait to get back down to the saw but it's Sunday and sound carries a distance out here on the mountain.  Gonna wait until at least 10:00.  :-) 

SlowJoeCrow

Yep, I use the same mill.  Push that sucker until the engine bogs, with a sharp band you can push it right quick through a log that size.

Magicman

I firmed up three sawing jobs while we were vacationing, the first of which I am scheduled to saw Friday.  Funny thing is that it is a 92 mile away road trip, but small enough (only 5 Red Oak logs) that I can finish it in one day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I'll saw Friday if I don't wash off before then.  We got 4" of rain between 7am and 4pm yesterday.  Today it started raining about 6:30am and by 10:30 the rain gauge looked like this:

Yup, 4½".  That's a bit over an inch an hour.  :o  Add that to yesterday's total for close to 10" in a day and a half.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

They don't get that much all year over here. Probably why there are no trees.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

paul case

You could send my little corner of  the world some of that!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Darrel

And I was pleased with the dust settling thunderstorm we got last night that dropped the temp by 15 degrees. Looks like we'll get it again today.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

50 Acre Jim

A nasty windstorm came through awhile back and blew our patio table over and smashed all the glass.  So today I cut some 5/8 X 6" boards with my new sawmill, ran them through the planer and presto, a new table.  :-)  Not a big deal but my first useful creation since getting my sawmill. 

$13K on a sawmill, $300 on a planer and I'm strutting around about my table, lol!  Money well spent!

Darrel

Didn't see the glass top, but I'm guessin' the wooden top looks way better than the glass top ever did.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Darrel on July 25, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
Didn't see the glass top, but I'm guessin' the wooden top looks way better than the glass top ever did.
Here is all that was left.

Dave Shepard

Those umbrellas will break the glass every time in a big wind.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!