Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

al glenn

Darrel

48° here this morning with a forecast high of 88°
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

caveman

We hauled two more loads home yesterday.  Some of the bigger logs were cut into 8' lengths.  At 16', my tractor would lift them but it was a bit unnerving on the uneven ground and loading them on the incline along the road (I had to be quick with the down lever on the front hydraulics on occasion).  As a bonus, we were able to collect a truck bed full of lighter knots.

With two operable saws running on Sunday, we were able to put the remaining seven trees on the ground and buck them in short order.  Thankfully they all fell where they were intended and did minimal damage to the trees that were to remain.

Some of WDH's longleaf pine furniture projects have piqued my interest in quarter sawing some of the larger logs and building table tops.  These trees are about 100 years old.  I will have to clean off the sap and use some helper lenses to get an accurate count of the growth rings then add a few years for the grass stage that longleaf have.

Caveman

WDH

Some quartersawn tabletop stock will be very fine for farm tables.  You might think about sawing some of it at 5/4 (1 3/8" rough), and some at 6/4 (1 5/8" rough) for the tabletops. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Sawed up some on the first boards when I first got my mill. ;D Some water oak that I am using inside my camp build. Was the reason for me to buy my mill in the first place. ;D This board was 10" wide by 14' by 4/4. The board had no cup in it after drying for over two years. ;D

After pasting them thru my planner.

thechknhwk

Some ambrosia maple ;D

caveman

Thanks for the suggestions on the dimensions Danny.  I do not know when we will have time to mill the logs-probably not until next month some time.
Caveman

rjwoelk

Caveman i see you are using a pond. Would like more info on that process.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

caveman

RJwoelk,
The way we store logs in the pond is inefficient but simple.  Initially, we tied empty water bottles to the logs to help locate them-they became tangled.  We tried to sort the logs by size and species but some float and blow around and others sink.  When it comes time to retrieve logs, I either wade into the pond and feel with my feet for the size and species needed, tie off to the log and pull it out with a tractor or if the log/logs we want are floating, I will pull them to the bank with a cable tied to a canoe so that they can be retrieved using the tractor forks.

The benefits of storing the logs in the pond include:
-they saw like the day they were felled
-the ips engraver beetles do not get into the pine unless the same part of the logs stays above the surface for an extended period of time.
-termites and wood borers do not get into the pond stored logs (on the ground here, they would be present in a few weeks)
-the bark sluffs off easily
-keeps the blue stain out of the pine (some folks desire the denim pine or Ellmoe's Wahoo Blue Pine)
-The water can be cold in the winter months (in some places, the water could be cold and hard during the winter)

Drawbacks:
-we usually have low water in the spring which may expose some of the logs
-the water is black and there are a lot of snakes in the pond (most are non-venomous)
-inefficient
-there is evidently an anaerobic bacteria that makes the wet logs/wood smell sour until dry, which also makes one's hands smell after handling the wood.
-the steep banks can offer some operational excitement from time to time when putting certain logs into or removing them from the pond.

I have considered attaching some log tongs to a cable that would go over the pond but since we do not saw for a living or mass production we will probably keep doing it the way we have been.
Caveman

Delawhere Jack

It had sentimental value, and it was walnut. Otherwise I would have told the client it was not worth milling.
Everyone he knows will be getting walnut cutting boards for Christmas.... for several years.  ;D

Chuck White

That was Good-On-You, Delaware Jack!    thumbs-up
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

flatrock58

Against my better judgement I let a good friend talk me into sawing an old water oak he got from the city.  It had blown down in a storm and they were getting rid of it.  I think he said he counted over 100 rings so it was an old tree.  it was 38" diameter and heavy and the hydraulics would not turn it, so we went ahead and cut it in half with the chainsaw.

The center was a little soft and some of the wood wasn't great.  We had hit a couple of copper wires in the first half, but nothing bad.  When I started cutting the second half I hit what I thought was a nail  After working for a while we found out it was an insulator.  It was almost in the center of the tree so it had been there a while.

We also found a hole inside the tree that had once been open to the outside.  It had pine straw in it from a nest long ago.   

I keep saying to myself over and over.  Don't get big trees!  Don't get city or yard trees!!

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

(Note to self:  Pay attention to Flatrock and give the logs too big for the mill a wide berth and avoid big old yard trees.)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

I must concur with WDH on this one .Been there and for some reason keep going back.I think i'm cured,i think.
al glenn

Bruno of NH

I have been getting some big pine 42" to 44" they come from lots getting cleared in a closed development .
You win some you lose some made some great wood and hit some metal but trees this nice or old are hard to come by .
They are a lot of work I sell a lot of wide stuff.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

I recently quarter sawed some nice red oak logs and they turned out quite nice. I used the RRQS method.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

Some purdy oak there Deese!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jim_Rogers

Recently, I finished up three red oak orders. One was some blocking for a heavy equipment hauling company.
He wanted some 6x12x4' pieces and some 4x6x4' pieces. Got his whole order out of one big log.
Next was some 2x10's for the burial vault company. They use these planks to set on the ground either side of the grave to be covered with the green carpet that looks like grass and then put the casket lowering device on the planks. This provides a stable surface for the device and the pallbearers to walk on while carrying the casket to the grave site. I have been selling them planks since I started the sawmill business back in 1994.
And lastly some more planks for the paving company's oldest trailer. I have redecked this trailer at least once before. But these are just a few to replace some broken ones.

Jim Rogers
Next week I hope to complete some "road jobs" for customers who have been waiting for me for a while to be free so that I can travel to their sites and mill up their logs.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

You guys are turning out some nice Oak.   smiley_thumbsup

As I get further South and closer to home, I am beginning to dread getting back to sawing.   smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun  It's HOT down here !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on July 22, 2017, 08:50:10 AM
You guys are turning out some nice Oak.   smiley_thumbsup

As I get further South and closer to home, I am beginning to dread getting back to sawing.   smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun  It's HOT down here !!!

It's been hot up here, I think you brought it up with you. I've been wetting from sweat through my shorts and tank tops in less than an hour even under my umbrella. I have to stop, drink water, and change clothes often. Not fun at all.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Kbeitz

You think it's Hot....

I have been wiring the solar kiln and installing the fans.
Temp gauge said 188F inside yesterday.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

It's almost 2pm and it's smoking hot. The dew point right now is 74° and the heat index is 97. But it was in the triple digits the past few days.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Been quartersawing more red oak today. These are 20" wide and 1 3/8" thick. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

50 Acre Jim

Not sure but I think I cut a Poplar today.  I'm new at this and can't identify my trees without seeing the leaves and this tree came from my neighbors house minus any branches or leaves.  What I do know for sure is that I suck at milling wood almost as bad as I suck at painting.  Who would have thought? 

I had great expectations for this tree (13" diameter on one end, 18" on the other and 16' long) but having no prior milling experience I decided the best approach would be to draw a square on the small end and then cut from there, which I expected would give me a 13" cant.  But for some reason it didn't turn out quite that way.

My cant was always slightly larger on one end than on the other, which I suspect may be attributed to an uneven bunk somewhere.  And then it seemed like the cant would lift up on one end or the other, so much so that at one point the cant was touching the middle bunk and both ends were 1/2 " off the end bunks.  Only thing I can think of is there was tension in the tree that was being released with each cut I made. 

So at the end of the day my harvest was 2 2X8's, a 1X9 (yes, a 1X9) and a crooked 5"X8" beam.  Clearly there is a learning curve to this wood cutting stuff.   

Oh, learned one other thing.  Flying sawdust can make for messy work and this mess is increased by several multiples when it starts to rain. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Thank You Sponsors!