iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Quote from: BigZ La on May 20, 2017, 09:22:28 PM
Man Fish were still dry this way. Plaquemine had some but it didn't make it to the house yet.

Y'all should get more then you ask for now thru Wednesday. :o

WDH

The scabs are the most valuable boards in the lot  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

So, this morning as all morning, I sit outside on the back patio drinking my coffee. Well just before 6am, I hear a big big bam. Scare the heck out of me. :o A second or two later, I knew what it was. My neighbor has a big pecan tree that has been dead the last two year. Guess it was time for it to come down.

It looks like I will be sawing pecan in the near future. ;D

Magicman

No big bam, but Pat and I sat on that back patio with you last week.  It certainly is nice to be able to visualize where you were and what you were seeing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Treehack

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2017, 05:56:00 PM
And a nice looking stash but your clock cookie will crack.   :-\

My brain tells me you are right, but my heart says otherwise.  Am going to try to band it and force cracking to center to minimize it.  In the end, I'm sure I'll have a cracked cookie and a broken heart.  That's life and I'm sure you will be there to console me.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Magicman

In the past your heart as also been broken and banding would not have helped it either .   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Today is the start of summer vacation/break for my 16yo son Dakota. We will be sawing oak and I have plans to get him accustomed to sawing on the old mill this summer.

When I got Scott started milling we had a big call for 3x4-10' cants and a whole bunch of pecker poles to make them out of. Most were 10'' logs that would only make 4 cants. I showed him one and said ''see how many you can make''. By the end of the summer he could whittle 75 of them out in about 7 hours and there was a few boards too. He was 17.

I have quite a few rough small logs to make into resaw cants. We have kinda got it figured out we dont want them taller than 7'' and the must be 3.5'' so we can resaw them into stringers. That will be a good place for D to learn to saw some volume. The big thing is to get him some confidence with the mill. He has cut some cuts for me before so the controls he knows but the math may be a little tough for him on the start.

I am not sure how much we will get to saw today as I have to go deliver some LOVE money to a few tornado victims near my church today at 11. Well that and we have a bunch of edging to do.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

paul case

If I was trying to keep that cookie from cracking I would sand or surface it however you plan to while it is green and seal it quickly with some polyeurathane or whatever you plan to seal it with completely both sides. This will make it dry really slowly. The other thing you could do is drill some relief holes into the back more than 1/2 the thickness deep. I am making no promises but that would be my try.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

The advice that I would offer Dakota, "or to anyone else," is to never enter a log without having a target and whether that target is a board or a cant is immaterial.  Establish that target first.

Looking at the top board and trying to squeeze something out of it will only cost you sawing time and wasting part of the log anyway.

Of course you knew that PC, but I did say "or to anyone else".   :)

WV Sawmiller

I have sawed a few hollow cookies (Donuts?) and they did not crack nearly as bad as solid ones.  I keep thinking if you bored a 1-2 inch hole in the middle that might help relieve the stress from drying. One of these days I am going to try that. I have some pretty large walnut cookies I coated well with anchorseal on both sides that have held up well but they were also 2-3 inches thick. The thinner they are the quicker they crack. Of course it takes as much anchorseal to coal one side of a cookie as it does to paint one end of a log.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

Funny how that works.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

nativewolf

Tule's postings in the thread on the logging section led me to look at his gallery, he is out in CA has whole pallets of cut cookies.  I don't know if that is because he is cutting mesquite & Claro or ?  He seemed to be making end tables and bar tops and wall coverings.  His gallery and pictures from that thread were awesome. 
Liking Walnut

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 22, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
   I have sawed a few hollow cookies (Donuts?) and they did not crack nearly as bad as solid ones.  I keep thinking if you bored a 1-2 inch hole in the middle that might help relieve the stress from drying.
I'm thinking drill as big a plug as you can - say get a 4" hole saw - which I think I have something close from HF.  Let them dry individually.  The doughnut should shrink quite a bit in circumference and quite possibly the plug will be a snug fit when it is all dry.  Worst case will be the 1/16" saw kerf gap, but I think it will be less.  Glue it back in and sand it smooth.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Rains have literally washed away any chance of sawing the logs pictured in Reply #6387 any time soon.  When it dries out he will sort all of the rejects out and make one log whack.  I'll get back to it probably in August.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Rains have washed farm roads away, mulch we had around our crops, stopped culverts up with trash and trees have fallen. A lot of catching up before I crank the mill this week.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

grouch

Quote from: Magicman on May 23, 2017, 09:06:23 PM
Rains have literally washed away any chance of sawing the logs pictured in Reply #6387 any time soon.  When it dries out he will sort all of the rejects out and make one log whack.  I'll get back to it probably in August.

You kids today are just too soft! Letting a few sprinkles stop you from work. You're not made of sugar; you won't melt! When I was your ... er ... um ...

There's a whipporwill outside!
Find something to do that interests you.

4x4American

Quote from: grouch on May 23, 2017, 09:34:27 PM
Quote from: Magicman on May 23, 2017, 09:06:23 PM

You kids today are just too soft! Letting a few sprinkles stop you from work. You're not made of sugar; you won't melt! When I was your ... er ... um ...

There's a whipporwill outside!

lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Deese

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Briankinley2004

Hear that lonesome Whippoorwhil ...he sounds too blue to fly....the midnight train...

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Yep, more rain this morning. :(

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Treehack on May 22, 2017, 08:36:26 AM

My brain tells me you are right, but my heart says otherwise.  Am going to try to band it and force cracking to center to minimize it.  In the end, I'm sure I'll have a cracked cookie and a broken heart.  That's life and I'm sure you will be there to console me.

I cut a walnut crotch from a storm fall a couple years ago.  It was May and really wet.  The rain started again heavy before I could get the crotch out.  I stood it upright on the big end and left it.  It was August before I got it out of the woods.  I cut a cookie off the big end that was sitting in the mud and tossed it in the burn pile.  After a week in the August sun it had still not cracked.  I was amazed.  Somehow, the mud on the one side kept it from cracking.  I cleaned it up and gave it to my SIL.  She finished it with no sign of cracking.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

SineWave

Quote from: Treehack on May 22, 2017, 08:36:26 AM

Well, after everything is said and done, isn't it the memories that mean more than the cookies?

IMAGE REMOVED. PLEASE DO NOT OPEN UP YOURSELF TO COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS BECAUSE I GUARANTEE, WHEN THE LAYWER COMES A KNOCKING, I'M HNDING YOU TO HIM ON A PLATTER

(Saw this cartoon in the New Yorker today...couldn't decide where to put it, so I put it here as another funny!)

Don P

Sawing replacement logs for the crew restoring a log barn. They've dismantled and are rebuilding it in sections inside the haybarn... yup, at least someone is staying dry  :D

We are out in our element... da elements  ;D The CSM and 30'ers are in the back of the shot by the chevy and artie zettlemeyer, we're doing the 20's on the lucas, then we'll do the rafter top faces on it as well.

The poplar bark is slipping and I'd just as soon it were gone anyway so we started peeling. Trying out putting down a piece of bark in the skidway, we've been using trak mats at each end to keep the mud down somewhat. We are having to pull them in and out of the lucas due to the length then lifting them onto the bunks with the Kboom.

Don't slide your hand under poplar bark lightly!

WDH

At least it peels off very easily this time of year. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!