iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 18, 2017, 12:17:53 PM

[snip]

I chainsaw milled flat on two sides of a curve mulberry trunk.  I milled it to 12 inches thick because I'm not sure exactly how I'll use it, so I my end up cutting it to 10" or cutting into two 6's.  I also painstakingly peeled the bark, exposing all these cool looking knobbies! It was very difficult peeling as the tree had been down for a bit and I think the bark had a lower moisture content than freshcut.  Getting around all those knobbies was difficult.  Pressure washer didn't help too much.

Those knobbies make me think of coral or a seashell. Very nice!
Find something to do that interests you.

Deese

These red oak logs have been on the ground at a friend's place for a few months and the ends were checking really bad. I cut 3"-4" off each end and liberally applied two coats of anchorseal. After trimming the ends, the first log was about 15' so I cut it in half, sealing those ends. The other is about 10.5' long after trimming the ends. I plan to saw these very soon. I might be picking them up this afternoon.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

And picking these syp logs up tomorrow morning. The family recently got a swimming pool and they wanted a few of the nearby trees removed. He told me I could have them if I just got them out of his way...Big, Tall, and Straight as an arrow.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

That is very even/uniform growth rate.   smiley_thumbsup

From the looks of that stump, something didn't go exactly right with the last felling.   smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

QuoteFrom the looks of that stump, something didn't go exactly right with the last felling.   smiley_thumbsdown

I noticed that as well. The owner originally told me that I could have the logs if I cut the trees down. I wouldn't touch them because they were too close to his house and new swimming pool. It made me nauseated just thinking of what could happen if things went south.
Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

Some fine wood there, Pardner.  Good wood makes happy customers (new old saying).

It will be interesting to see if that oak has bacterial infection.  Looks a bit like water oak which seems to be pre-disposed for it.  Still, fine looking red oak logs.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

Thank ya sir  :)
I'm not sure when I will get to the oak. Hopefully in a week or three. Got lots of pine in the way at the moment.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Kbeitz

I have seen people cut trees down that way... They cut a super big V on one side
and let the last of it for a hinge. Don't ask me why. I sure don't know.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Look back at it Kb.  Those "glove hangers" are a recipe for something bad to happen.  Something did not go well with the other SYP felling either.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on April 21, 2017, 02:18:52 PM

From the looks of that stump, something didn't go exactly right with the last felling.   smiley_thumbsdown

The faller could have been trying to swing the tree.  It might had have some side lean and wanted it to go a certain way.  Granted he could have done a cleaner job, maybe clean the edges and stick with it a little bit longer before taking off.  The other stumps look like he pulled holding wood out too so it could also have been a case of amateur hour.  Who knows
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Deese, just be sure to jump butt those logs to remove the pullout before bucking to length.

CKWoodCutter

I'm new to the forum and looking for some input and advice from those of you that have experience in this business. I was just starting to log big red oaks on my place and the first one I take down is about 5' in diameter and 16' to first branch. Big beautiful log. Also took down another that produced a 3' by 11' log. These trees also produced a handful of other logs that would be great for dimensional lumber. Problem was that no one around me can handle a log that big. So I get to looking at options and realize the price of dried slabs out of these trees are worth quite a bit. So this gets me thinking maybe I should just get my own mill. Problem here is I have no experience in milling or drying. Is this a reasonable idea? What mill would you suggest. Please feel free to comment with tips and ideas. Looking for advice from people that no what there doing.

gww

ck
Welcome to the forum.  You should go to the sawmill and milling tab in the main forum index page and start a thread of you own on this.  You would probly get lots of questions answered.  You might also try a search of this site for old threads.  Maby search something like "should I buy a mill".  I never have good luck doing that and end up just paging down and looking at all the thread titles in the sawmill and milling portion of the forum.

Good luck.
gww

CKWoodCutter

gww

Thanks for the help
CK

WV Sawmiller

CK,

If you're dealing with logs that big you might consider contracting with someone with a slabber to slab those monsters down to size. If you do, how are you going to handle them? Go to the Extras tab here on the forum and calculate the weight of the logs and slabs you will produce and see how you will handle them. Also where will you store them possibly for several years. Are you going to doing any further processing such as planing, sanding or staining? Who are you going to sell them to? They sound high value but there is a lot of time and work involved to get there.

After watching that process and answering those questions then ask yourself if you still want a mill and examine the capabilities and pick the best one if you decide you have to have one. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on April 21, 2017, 08:08:44 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 21, 2017, 02:18:52 PM

The faller could have been trying to swing the tree.  It might had have some side lean and wanted it to go a certain way.  Granted he could have done a cleaner job, maybe clean the edges and stick with it a little bit longer before taking off.  The other stumps look like he pulled holding wood out too so it could also have been a case of amateur hour.  Who knows
4x4, I believe that you know enough about felling trees to...well, I think you're just being nice.
All I can say about those stumps, and the technique used making them is; Thank God that no one was mamed or killed.
That is all. 🙄
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

CKWoodCutter

Thanks WV for the input.

redprospector

I've been spread pretty thin lately. My saw shed is on hold for the moment, at least until I get caught up a little.
Sawed a few 2x12x16' pine for a customer in Las Cruces. I don't usually deliver, but I'll be hauling these next week some time.

Cut a few 1x12x16' from a Southwestern White Pine. Most locals call it "Sugar Pine", but it's not really Sugar Pine.

And I know I'm going to regret getting behind on my edging.

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

paul case

You aren't that far behind on edging. We usually clean up a mess like that a couple times a week.

Real nice looking 12'' lumber there.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

CKWoodCutter, those are some huge trees by anyone's standards.  Add your location to your profile and maybe there is someone close with a slabber that handle them.  Those slabs will be heavy so you will need access to support equipment.  If you decide that traditional "lumber" is OK, then a swing mill can saw them.

Actually buying the necessary saw is an option but I would think that you would need to have a sawing future to justify it.

And, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)

redprospector

Quote from: paul case on April 21, 2017, 10:16:04 PM
You aren't that far behind on edging. We usually clean up a mess like that a couple times a week.

Real nice looking 12'' lumber there.

PC

It wouldn't be too bad if I had my edger going, but it's no fun on the Timberking.

Deese

Looking good Redprospector. 

When he asked me to cut the trees, I got that nervous feeling and I knew right away that I wasn't the man for the job. No way José
Cooks AE4P Edger

redprospector

Thanks Deese.
I turned down a big Pine this evening. It's 45" DBH, and was struck by lightning. Had a spiral strip of bark gone from top to bottom, with a pretty good crack where the bark was gone. She said a guy up the road with a mill would cut it for the logs. I told her that if she trusted his abilities, she should use him. I get paid pretty well for taking down hazard trees.

Deese

I can honestly say that if those big pines were next to my own house, I would have dropped them. They were tall and straight. Simply open a shallow face  where you want them to fall and use wedges behind the bar to push them over. I've done it a bunch. BUT...I have had a few that did things that I did not expect and that is why I will NEVER cut a tree down near someone else's home. I am not an expert tree feller and do not carry insurance for such things. But I feel like I could have done it though  ;D The thought of it going wrong still makes me cringe.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

And Magicman, the tree with the "glovehangers" still perplexes me...the tree fell exactly where it should have...if it actually fell in the opposite direction it would have landed in the swimming pool. A tractor with grapples is scheduled to be there tomorrow morning (this morning) at 10AM to load my logs. I plan to chat with the owner about the tree felling and will relay the info. Once these two are removed, I will have 2 more big boys to get once they are felled. Bunches of good lumber in these logs.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!