iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Decided to saw up a little stock. Coming up on service time and I'd like to run out the remaining hours and do my service before taking it off site again and, weather permitting, I have a couple days work lined up at the end of week.

I have an overaged stand of Norway Spruce planted as Christmas trees about 70 years ago. One fell last week so I bucked up 2 -17 and one 14.5 log. Draged them down and cut into 8' and one little 6' logs. Nothing big. Biggest board was 1X8. I got about 145 bf out of the spruce. Sure are light and easy to handle. Had one little 5' ash chunk I cut into 3 - 2X10 slabs for benches or take to flea market and sell as woodworking slabs. About 25 bf there.

A light shower came up and I finished in it but it sure makes it miserable working with wet sawdust on everything.

Spruce ready to buck to length and the small ash section

Finished lumber and the slabs on the trailer behind the ATV. Pulled in the barn out of the rain and will stack and sticker this afternoon or in the morning.  Not a lot but better than firewood - especially since the spruce is not even good firewood IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

buzywoodliff

prayers from Michigan for MM and his wife. 

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2017, 09:58:33 PM
No, my fall was not ladder related unless steps count, as in RV steps and being on top.  :o 

My other medical concern is for/about PatD.  She has a Dr. appointment Thursday, so we will know more then.  This concerns her cardiac evaluation that she had last week.

Praying for a speedy recovery for you Lynn and also praying for good news for PatD at her appointment with cardiac doc.
I will be doing the same with several doc in the next couple weeks. :-\
To elaborate more, last Friday morning I had a fire call and when leaving the firehouse after the run to come home I wasn't feeling too well. When I got home I was having chest pains. Called my fire chief and asked him to come my house. He was there in a flash, checked me out and mentioned the hospital and I said let's go now as the pain was in my jaw. I walked into the ER and told them what was going on and they had me in a room and wired asap. First tests came in neg.
Waited a while and drew more blood and another EKG and enzymes were high.
Off to cath lab and 1 stent later and I'm feeling better than I have in quite a while. So I guess I won't be sawing anything but Z's for a few weeks. Cardiologist told me I got lucky that I knew the warning signs and didn't blow it off or it may not have turned out so good. I guess all that training paid off.

Brent

fishfighter

Lynn, my prays are with y'all. Heart trouble is nothing to play with. The good news is that they can fix things or make things a lot better.

If you have any questions about treatments, I might be able to help. I been thru the ringer with heart failure. :( The good new, I am beating this or so I keep telling myself. ;D

Magicman

Thanks to all for your concerns and prayers. 

I will start a separate topic after our Thursday's visit with the heart Surgeon.  We have done much Googling and reading so I think that we know what to expect.

Just because I have postponed my sawing doesn't mean that I don't want to see "Whatcha You are Sawin'.  Keep on sawdusting guys.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lshobie

Got it to the mill, some before footage, milling coming soon:
https://youtu.be/tP9o4mcZCxY
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Magicman

Looked like one of the last remaining large Pines.  The area up high with apparently no bark, Porcupine damage?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lshobie

Yes you nailed it - you can see how the top is starting to discolour.  I have a few more left but the buggers are trying to get them as well...quite the infestation we have here.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Magicman

I'll trade you some Fire Ants & Armadillos.   ::)

WV Sawmiller

Ishobie,

How long was the log you were dragging (I.e. How long did you buck it)? Looked like a real hoss of a log. I'd love to know how many bf it actually turns out.

I sawed up 2 stock poplar logs that yielded about 261 bf this afternoon. First 12' log I sawed into 4/4. The next 10' log I sawed into 4/4 but also sawed out 3 -2X6's and a 2X4 to make a 2'X10' stacking skid which I seemed to be lacking. Opened the first/12' log and decided to drop about 3/8" to widen the face just a bit. Half way through the cut broke a blade. Changed and made a couple more cuts and broke another blade at the weld (Which is good as warranty replacement applies). The next blade worked fine and I have not found anything to explain 2 such breakages on such short order.

12' log about 15" average on SE

261 bf. Stickered and made a stacking skid. Now just need to cut the handful of stickers generated in the process.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lshobie

We pulled it out at 74 feet long, I haven't bucked it up yet as we have to mill up some counter tops out of it - once that is done we will make boards out of what is left.  Lots of lumber in there for sure!!

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 27, 2017, 09:05:22 PM
Ishobie,

How long was the log you were dragging (I.e. How long did you buck it)? Looked like a real hoss of a log. I'd love to know how many bf it actually turns out.

I sawed up 2 stock poplar logs that yielded about 261 bf this afternoon. First 12' log I sawed into 4/4. The next 10' log I sawed into 4/4 but also sawed out 3 -2X6's and a 2X4 to make a 2'X10' stacking skid which I seemed to be lacking. Opened the first/12' log and decided to drop about 3/8" to widen the face just a bit. Half way through the cut broke a blade. Changed and made a couple more cuts and broke another blade at the weld (Which is good as warranty replacement applies). The next blade worked fine and I have not found anything to explain 2 such breakages on such short order.

12' log about 15" average on SE

261 bf. Stickered and made a stacking skid. Now just need to cut the handful of stickers generated in the process.

Dakota

Ishobie,
I really enjoyed your video.  Could you comment on the drone that shot it?
Dave Rinker

OlJarhead

Mostly Fir last weekend with a pine in there.  This weekend it's Fir and pine that was felled 3 years ago so I have no idea how it will be (I'm guessing some punk but we'll find out)  Then it's back to the Fir and some larch :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

petefrom bearswamp

Lynn are you getting less sore?
the Davis couple is in our thoughts & prayers here also.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Less sore?  Well maybe a bit but not much.  It still hurts more than any other hurt that I have ever had.

Pat meets with the cardiac surgeon Thursday.

fishfighter

Now that's got to hurt. :o

Fell a couple oaks for some more lap siding and framing lumber. I will try to saw it up tomorrow.

Brad_bb

What did you do MM?  I hope you saw a doctor about that?  Blood clots can travel.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

Yes that arm needs to be sawed off !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

jaybirdius

Prayers for quick healing from Monroe Ga. That pic just made my knees feel funny!

lshobie

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Less sore?  Well maybe a bit but not much.  It still hurts more than any other hurt that I have ever had.

Pat meets with the cardiac surgeon Thursday.

whoa!  I have seen worse, it'll get better.

lshobie

Quote from: Dakota on March 28, 2017, 10:00:02 AM
Ishobie,
I really enjoyed your video.  Could you comment on the drone that shot it?

It's a mavic pro, 3rd time i think flying it or any rc anything.  an amazing platform but with all the new regs I wouldnt buy another one......drone days are coming to an end.

OlJarhead

OW!!!  I hope it heal fast!  Sorry to hear it!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

We are all praying Miz Pat's appointment turns out well. She needs to be running on all 12 cylinders to take care of you. That is a nasty looking bruise. Looks like you tried to stop your fall with your elbow. I don't know if ice packs or heat packs would help now. I'd think flexing it as often as possible would help but then again, that might just break something loose and cause worse problems. Sounds like a good question to ask your doctor. Take care.
Howard Green

paul case

Lynn, my friend be more careful.

Praying for you and Mrs. MM.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!