iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on March 21, 2017, 01:51:59 PM
Jim where did you get your second scale from. I have been thinking about adding one like to my mill.
Thanks!

Bought it from Woodmizer.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Darrel

Jim, that looks just like the scale on my mill. That scale is my accuset.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Got the new belts in this morning. ;D But kind of been under the weather the last couple days. :( I did climb on the tractor and did a little dirt work for the mill shed, but had to call it a day at 9am and climb back in bed. :(

Going to try and realign my mill tomorrow. I need to pull it out from where it is due to the saw dust build up. :)

Darrel

You get to feeling better fishfighter.
1992 LT40HD

Briankinley2004

Sawed some walnut cookies today. Practiced yesterday on some pine and screwed up a band. Finally got clamping down and sawed these with an old blade. The small ones turned green after sawing. Not sure what that's about

Briankinley2004

Brad_bb

So when you are sawing pine, are you sawing one board, removing all the sawdust, and moving it to the trailer or pile?  Or are you sawing the whole log on the mill before removing any boards(assuming you've squared up 3 sides before you starting sawing the log in place?

I sawed my first pine two days ago, and I slabbed 3 faces and took one board off each face.  Then I sawed 1" boards from the remaining can't all the way to the bed.  I was by myself.  So i had to then dust the top, then flip the next board off, and dust the underside of it and top of next board and so on down the stack.  It took me awhile to do that and was a bit of work.  Of course I would have preferred to have my buddy there to help me.  But how do you guys get the dust off the boards before stacking?  The pine dust seems to stick more.  I use my scraper to dislodge it and then sweep.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Yes Brian, fresh sawn Walnut very often exhibits a greenish color, but it fades to brown as oxidation takes place.  Us sawyers are usually the only ones that ever get to see it.  I think that it is a neat occurrence.

Congrats Brad on sawing the Pine.  Yes, Pine sawdust is sticky and will very often clog your sawdust chute.  Thankfully most of what I saw is framing lumber so the sawdust mostly stays and dries with the lumber.

Now if you really want sticky sawdust, saw some Cypress or Longleaf Pine.  This was Cypress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Briankinley2004

Interesting. The big ones are a part of the butt cut I sawed off the original log cause it looked like it might have metal. It nor the main log turned green. The little piece that turned green was probably a limb or fork further up the tree. I was gonna use them for firewood cause that's one of the few woods I haven't burned. Very rare here in La.  these women been wanting pine cookies for weddings so I went on and sawed them. Maybe I can get  5 or 10 each for them

4x4American

Brad, just flip each board a few times to get the bulk of it off, sticker stack it, and come back in a few days and blow through the pile with a leaf blower.  Once it starts to dry the sawdust comes off alot easier.  When you're stickering it, you can scrape off the sawdust just where the sticker is going to sit so that you don't have wet sawdust trapped under your stickers.
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Fresh walnut will be green, for sure.  I had a buddy of mine bring me some walnut to saw, and it was bright green when it came off the mill.  Pulling his leg, I had him convinced that the logs weren't really walnut, and that he had made a mistake identifying them.  Instead of walnut, I told him his logs were worthless "green maple." His face just fell.  Then, in a few minutes, the wood started to turn purple, and he realized I was pranking him, we both had a laugh about it. Well, I laughed more than he did.... ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

fishfighter

The only problem about SYP and dust is that I had mold grow on the lumber. Kind of happens late spring/summer months if I don't get the saw dust off. One other thing, building with it, a lot of the dust gets in your eyes. :D

12" sheetrock knife to scrap the boards first. Sticker for about a week and then blow them off with a yard blower has help a lot.

WDH

Fans are your friend with green pine in summer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

A Stihl leaf blower travels with me.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I bought these logs from 2 different loggers working right by my mill.
Pine and poplar they even delivered them for me.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Milled up this poplar on Tuesday sold it Wednesday to one guy who bought 2 other packs of lumber from me.
He wants more :)
I like selling my own lumber better than sawing others logs.
I'm getting repeat customers buying my wood :)
Bruno

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

That's some beautiful lumber
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

Hey, nice going and also nice log whack.   smiley_thumbsup

Question about the split log, was that done during logging or what?  Just curious.

Bruno of NH

MM the split log is one of the loggers.
He wants me to saw it for him and he's the one with the log truck.
I will saw it at no charge it will help me in the long run :)
I think he split it feeling it.
He thinks i'm going to charge him.
It's red oak

Magicman

Yup, I thought so, and your sawing plan is very wise.  Good deeds never stop returning rewards.

fishfighter

I agree 100% Lynn.

Moved my mill and installed the new belts. For some reason, one of the belts I had on was like a BX58. Ha ordered a BX57. And yes, it was a bear to get on. :D

Once that was done and had the bed leveled out, I adjusted everything per specs. Haven't did a alignment well over a year. :o

tareece

Got a big cedar log (30in+/-) on the short side in length
(About 7ft)..

Cut real nice..I was really happy about the progress

So worked it down.. more and more siding and slabs.... grooving.. man this is going great...
Ouch

Sttooopid.. dagnabit
    Welp time to order blades....
     Didn't even feel it... I heard the whine.. and it got tougher to move.. but not what I would expect, like a catastrophic break.
    Live and learn.
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

First back stop? :D It comes in threes to start with. :D

thecfarm

[/quote]

I can't tell from the picture. But does your stops go straight up and down?
I have a Thomas and that's how mine are. I put some inch marks on mine. 3-4-6-8 inches.
4 inches is really 3½ on the scale. So if sawing 4 inches and mine stops are set at 4, I know I have a ½ inch to clear them. 6-8 inches the same way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!