iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Well I got a call from a logger last week and he said he had a load of logs that he was having a little trouble getting rid of. Well they were delivered yesterday. There was 8½ logs on the truck and the load weighed 33.5 tons.

That is a 48" logrite in this pic.

I have to say that the JLG telescopic loader really impressed me. It lifted and handled these logs without breaking a sweat. The second from longest log was 50'4" long and 24" dia. at the top. The longest one that has the logrite beside it is over 60' long and is 21" in dia. at the top. These two were the ones that might have strained the loader the most but she never even flinched. I need to get some more hours under my belt operating it so I can get a little more used to the controls.  All in all I was pretty happy to get these logs.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Yep Jake, them are logs all right!  That'll keep you out of trouble for awhile. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

goose63

customsawyer next time he has trouble getting rid of a load send that man my way. The trucker i'v been using aint getting the job done so i bought a 48 foot flatbed my buddy will pull it to get my logs when i need them and the trailer is his the rest of the year   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

Long logs, are they pine?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Those are the kind of logs that paydays are made of.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Finally fired up the mill. Been building a trailer for it and adding power feed. Success, and I'm very happy how things turn out.

When and dug up the most trashy SYP log I had. That sucker had more then 5" of sweep from one end to the other. ;D The plan was just to test out the mill. That trashy log turn out some nice 1x6's and a nice 6x6 sill that I need. ;D

Once I tested, I had to do a couple more things to finish up the mill and I'm a happy camper. 8)

Chuck White

Good to hear that things went well.   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

It's good to see your test run, fishfighter.   :)

I am back on the road tomorrow and Saturday.  I badly need to finish this job because my annual ERC customer is ready and I hope to start him next week.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Jake,

Now that qualifies as a whack.  What are you going to saw them into?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

etroup10

I'll soon be sawing this spalted maple!  8) I saved it from the shavers at work. 24" on the the big end, 20" on the small end, 12' long. Just hoping there isn't too much rot!

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

sandsawmill14

etroup10  you need to saw that immediately to stop the rot :o  actually i just cant wait to see it ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

Sawed a hard maple log I had setting around the other day, nice stuff..$800/bf sound about right? lol

Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

$800 a bdft ??? but its all stained up ;D that will have to go in the bargain bin :D :D :D

4x4American

...it's part of my get rich slow scheme..it's working so far, nobody has bought it lol
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

we must have the same plan :D :D :D that is a nice slab smiley_thumbsup

customsawyer

Quote from: WDH on May 05, 2016, 09:16:31 PM
Jake,

Now that qualifies as a whack.  What are you going to saw them into?
Some of those logs have some heart pine in them. If I can get it to cut out right I am shooting for some heart pine flooring.  ;)
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

If you quartersaw them, it will make a spectacular floor. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

ok  wdh or customsawyer can one of yall explain what heart pine is ??? i dont saw much pine to start with but i have several to saw now and was just wondering what heart pine means :)

WDH

As a pine ages, it forms a red heart with a sapwood ring that is lighter in color.  The heartwood is generally pitch soaked and very rot resistant.  Lighter wood, or fat liter comes from this pitch soaked heartwood.

sandsawmill14

thanks wdh  some of these logs are 30+ inches i will take notice when i get to the big ones and see if i notice what you are talking about :)

WDH

You will be able to see the heartwood easily if it is there.  Otherwise, there is only sapwood with the light color that you normally see in pine. 

Magicman

I love sawing big logs.  This is a 57 mile road trip, but well worth the drive.

18 logs lined up for sawing and none of the SYP logs are less than 20".   It's about half and half Loblolly and Longleaf.

Two 27" sisters.

This one was 29" on each end. 

Sawing away.  I am sawing 2X4 & 2X6 framing lumber and 1X4 & 1X12 board and batten.

sandsawmill14

its nice when they actually know what a sawlog is aint it mm :D  thats a nice run of logs :)

cutterboy

Magic, it's nice to see you in your pictures. Boy oh boy, what nice round logs....and lined up so well. I'll bet you were happy to see that when you got there.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!