iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

I have a bunch of oak, maple, and elm waiting to be slabbed. I need the ground to freeze up and get a covering of snow before I can move those big ones (4'+ on the small end). Theyre at least a couple tons so there is no picking them up with a skid loader. The walnut slabs (minus the 15+ nails I pulled out) will be picked up after Christmas.

From left to right, maple, ash, and white oak, all around 3' on the small end. High and dry in the barn, out of the mud. Soon to be 3" slabs.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Tree Dan

Got this log this afternoon...The truck just left.

New Milling area for the winter.

Inside...Now I need heat

Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Dan

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2014, 07:03:14 PM
Got exhaust?

Theres a 20' door at both ends...plus the wirly birds

I was kiding about the heat...the doors stay open
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Holmes

Tree Dan that is a great way to bring the outside in. 8)  I like the expanse. :)
Think like a farmer.

Ocklawahaboy

I'm pretty sure that would cover my whole yard without even having to trim the pine trees.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

strunk57

I have about 25 acres of these kinda logs to cut and saw. Got Lucky.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Magicman

Those are much better logs than my customer brought to me to saw.  I see very little evidence of pith rot. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have plans for persimmon, beech, and holly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

I'm working on a keg of persimmon beer.Yuck nasty stuff.
al glenn

petefrom bearswamp

ERC is non existent here.
Wow Strunk, I am jealous.
Not a log in my yard now but am shut down
I have 14 MBF of Hemlock bought on the stump but the loggers here are top busy to help me out.
I may have to become a logger in the spring and am not looking forward to it.
These trees will take me thru June, and I have some logs on the horizon.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JB Griffin

Dave: Yes I sold that Keener Built, It flew south a couple weeks ago. Waiting on the bank to tell me if I can go Orange. 8)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

OneWithWood

2015 will be the year of tulip as I try to fall and saw the many stems standing dead due to the last two droughts and the tulip scale outbreak.  A lot of it will end up as paneling in my barn addition.  There is also the many ash trees that are currently healthy but probably will succumb to the borer in the next few years.  Of course there are always the occasional white and red oaks, hard and soft maples, beech, sassafrass and hickories.  I do have a nice persimmon that I hope to saw up.  It was girdled a couple of years ago but appears to be holding up fairly well.  Did I mention the pile of cherry logs a customer left me a year or so ago and never got back in touch?  Hope to find out if the wood has spalted and is still viable. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jim_Rogers

I hope to finish a job of sawing some salvage timbers before next year get here. But I'm not sure how it's going to go.

I traveled with a friend and his truck and trailer to the salvage yard on Wednesday. We picked up nine nice long timbers to be re-sawn to 6x6 timbers.

The customer wanted something he could stain right away. He didn't want to wait for fresh green timbers to dry enough to accept stain.

Here is the timbers on the trailer:

I had to get two large over-sized timbers to fill the order.

These two had no nails in them at all:

I was lucky and I thought this job will be sweet with no nails to pull.

I went to the pile and got three more 7x7x12 timbers.

Two hours later from one timber:

That cup is almost full now from doing three 7x7x12 timbers.

I'll show you the finished product when they are done. Back to pulling nails before the football game today......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Jim, at first I though that was a 5 gallon bucket!  :o Then I saw the writing.  They just got Dickey's out here.  I got some free sandwich coupons from the blood bank and gave them a shot - good eats!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

I brought in 9 timbers, it was suppose to be (5) 12', (3) 14' and (1) 16' But I ended up getting two 16' ones as he didn't have a 12' one I needed.

So anyway, I finally finished pulling all the nails I could find. Some timbers had some I couldn't find and I gave up trying to find them.

I have sawn up 8 of the nine and I hit nails with three blades so far. One was a big cut nail and the others were small wire nails.

Here is my tools used for this job:

I have found about the best tool for pulling these wire nails was the "California bar"

If you told me that I'd fill that cup with nails, I wouldn't have believed you.

Here is the first timber on the mill:

I hope they will be happy with these. I think they look great.

They're suppose to stain them a shade of gray to make them look old.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

paul case

Probably a lot of what nobody else wants.
I get a lot of water oak, sycamore, hackberry, elm, honey locust, and even blackjack oak to make cants and pallet stringers out of, and of course the normal RO, Post Oak and Hickory.

Tough stuff.

Happy New Year
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Tom the Sawyer

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

mayor

Tapered Wedge Timbers......

sounds better that way!

BCsaw

Jim, pulling all that iron really adds to the job! ;D

Reminds me of when I was a kid........only thing was I had to straighten the nails for reuse. Sheeesh! :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

FarmingSawyer

Hmmm....resawing old timbers to make timbers to look old? You mighta shoulda marked up the salvaged ones and sold them to the customer as is, hardware included..... ;D
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

SPD748

I'm planning on sawing enough SYP to build a solar kiln in the spring. Hopefully I can talk a local gas fired kiln into cooking my lumber so it will be ready. I really need to get my log deck installed first though. I finally got my mind in order so it shouldn't take long :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I need to saw these walnut logs but so far the motivation has escaped me.........

I am hoping for it to return once the weather moderates, we shall see if that is the case.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Thank You Sponsors!