iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

longtime lurker, Slash Pine is in the grouping of Southern Yellow Pines along with Loblolly, Shortleaf, & Longleaf.  I think Virginia Pine is also considered a SYP but I do not have any here in my locale.

I finished sawing my latest job today and had a couple of items of interest that paralleled a topic where Georgia088 was asking about sawing a standing dead SYP tree.  LINK

I opened this face and saw where the log had not broken but had fractured when it was felled.

Off of another face.

Yup, bad is bad.

So the cant is offloaded and pulled away.  Did I charge the customer for the work done?  Absolutely not.  Sure, it's his log and I did work, but in situations such as this I just "let the hide go with the hair".  (old saying)

Pencil sized Sawyer Worm holes.

I slab deep and get rid of them.  Yup, there is easily a 2X4 or possibly a 2X6 in some of the slabs, but again, we are salvaging the good and discarding the bad.

Here is a defect that is neat.

It's some kind of fungus, but very pretty to me.

Anyway a day and a half and 3857 bf. of framing lumber stickered.  :)  This is why I "don't sweat the small stuff"  (old saying) when sawing.  I had a nice jingle in my pocket when I came home and it was not a bell.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

It's good to hear that you are back sawing fishfighter.  You da man!! 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I see that pink fungus all the time.  It actually survives the kiln and remains just like that after kiln drying and sterilization. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

How's this. Vertical Grain pine, 6 growth rings across a 6" board.  :D

And it's even dried reasonably straight.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Briankinley2004

That pink stuff has some kinda smell, I tell you what.

Southside

Quote from: Ianab on December 14, 2017, 09:08:50 PM
How's this. Vertical Grain pine, 6 growth rings across a 6" board.  :D

And it's even dried reasonably straight.

Ian -

What is in the water there?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

QuoteIan -

What is in the water there?

Water is normal, just lots of it, and about an 11 month growing season  :)

But most of the native species are very slow growing, hence most forestry is exotic plantation pine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2017, 08:28:51 PM
It's good to hear that you are back sawing fishfighter.  You da man!!

Lynn, I still have to take it easy till they go in and open up the block blood vessel. That will be some time in January. My dear wife was at my side helping me. ;D

I did get a bit of good news a couple days ago. Had my daughter sign a oil lease at $310 an ac. Nice chunk that will be put to the side for our grandson's college fund. Was told that the well will be in that field next to my house about 1000' away. ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Oil that is, Texas Louisiana Tea.   :)

fishfighter

Would be nice, but I am not holding my breath. :D

Southside

So does that mean they will be pumping "Fish oil" from the ground there?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I sawed a "marry'n log" today.   ;)

This is how Sha proposed to his wife 22 years ago.  A recent storm brought the Cherry tree down so he wanted the evidence slabbed off for a wall hanger.

We wedged it in tightly and sawed.

I suspect that it will become a Christmas Gift.   smiley_love

starmac

That would be one expensive chunk of firewood.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: starmac on December 15, 2017, 04:11:39 PM

He cut it for free, I bet,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

The carved inscription says:

KAT
   WILL YOU
     MARRY
        ME
          ?
       SHA

Offhand I would say that it would be worse than expensive if he burned it.   :o

starmac

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 15, 2017, 09:52:59 PM

MM's fee was not what I was thinking about.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 15, 2017, 09:52:59 PMHe cut it for free, I bet, 
:D  Yup, several circumstances.  I have never sawed for Sha, but I did saw many logs (that he had given someone else) on his property after the tornado passed through that also downed this tree.  I was well paid for that so this was a given.  He asked how much, I said nothing, and he tipped me a $20.  He took several business cards because he knows someone else that has logs.  In the long run, I will very much be ahead.   :)

Grizzly

Quote from: starmac on December 15, 2017, 10:11:28 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 15, 2017, 09:52:59 PM

MM's fee was not what I was thinking about.

You better believe it's expensive!! "When I was single my pockets did jingle" (old saying) I tell my wife regularly how expensive she is to keep and she just smiles and reminds me that I keep coming home.  :)  Best going broke plan I've ever been on. But I don't feel broke.  ???
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

I ran into a waitress one time that had probably 2 inch or bigger letters down the length of her arm, spelling Herbert. I mentioned to her that I hoped that her son was named Herbert, she told me, no such luck, it was her X. I ask her if she knew how hard it was going to be to find another Herbert she wanted to marry.lol

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on December 15, 2017, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 15, 2017, 09:52:59 PMHe cut it for free, I bet, 
:D  Yup, several circumstances.  I have never sawed for Sha, but I did saw many logs (that he had given someone else) on his property after the tornado passed through that also downed this tree.  I was well paid for that so this was a given.  He asked how much, I said nothing, and he tipped me a $20.  He took several business cards because he knows someone else that has logs.  In the long run, I will very much be ahead.   :)
I would have felt like I should give him the $20.
Being married is a big asset to me. She gave me not 1 but 2 healthy strapping young men who are my right arm and my left arm. If it wernt for them I would probably only be sawing as a hobby, however if it wernt for them I might be able to have a hobby too. ;D
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

That is one of them things you grab,if the house is on fire.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

peterpaul

What a great keepsake and a tough act to follow :)

Here are some pics of some white pine I milled a couple weeks ago on our LT 15.   The log was 10' 6" long and 26" on the small end.  I had to trim the other end of the log to get the mill to pass.  The log was very difficult to load and turn (parbuckled). The center of log had evidence of ant damage so I wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort. 

Here are (6) clear 1x12's

I also got some nice wide 20"+ clear 1x also.

As I was sawing, I don't know how many mice came out the end so I just kept sawing until I found the nest. 

Here are some Red Oak logs I have to mill

And some WP logs

As I work alone, these are just job security for a long time. Many thanks to all for all the helpful information on FF.

Best wishes for a safe and joyous holiday season.

Peter

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Magicman

Hey those are some nice boards.  (For your use or for sale) ?

Thanks for the pictures of your log yard, and yes, working alone you have some job security.  Stay Safe.

peterpaul

I haven't sold any lumber.  I am working on a timberframe cabin to build up on the back of our property and hopefully the wide pine will become flooring.   The design is slightly modified from the one in Will Beamer's book.  Here are some pic's of the frame.  All the beams are WP.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Thank You Sponsors!