iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 Acre Jim

A friend dropped off 6 large SYP awhile back and today I tossed one up on the mill.  I'm new at this milling thing and have never cut anything except hardwood.  I was flabbergasted!  My saw simply flew through this stuff!  Nice.  I'm gonna have to get more of this!!!
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Darrel

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on November 06, 2017, 07:41:58 PM
A friend dropped off 6 large SYP awhile back and today I tossed one up on the mill.  I'm new at this milling thing and have never cut anything except hardwood.  I was flabbergasted!  My saw simply flew through this stuff!  Nice.  I'm gonna have to get more of this!!!

By time you've been at it a while, you'll quit tossing those logs and find that you aren't nearly as tired at the end of the day.  :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Darrel on November 06, 2017, 11:29:38 PM
By time you've been at it a while, you'll quit tossing those logs and find that you aren't nearly as tired at the end of the day.  :D
In all fairness, I did use both hands...  :-)

nativewolf

Quote from: Farm29 on November 04, 2017, 10:11:28 PM
After a couple hours replacing the drive belt i cut some persimmon replacing the belt wasn't the hard part it was the tension adjustment bolt that was seized up that took so long.   Managed to get around 200 bf of 4/4 I'm new at sawing and have a lot to learn but this forum has been a big help thanks all hopefully I loaded the pics correctly if I didn't I'll try again for some reason I am having a heck of a time with it https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/44733/image~21.jpeg
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/44733/image~20.jpeg
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/44733/image~17.jpeg

Farm29, I can see them when clicking the links.  You just need to copy from there into your post. 

That said, I am not sure that's Persimmon.  All the Persimmon I've seen has much more black spotting/streaks in it than your lumber.  Is there a chance you've got black gum, Nyssa Sylvatica?  Any twigs?  Were there fruit on the ground? 

Persimmon is an ebony that's why it gets black streaks in it.
Liking Walnut

OffGrid973

That bolt is no fun and a good one to have a spare for. I snapped one in the cold when it was too loose and actually got flipped too far causing it to snap with pressure. (Also first time it broke so I Learned the hard way). 

Keeping that tension set correctly helps resolve so many problems. And having to small wrenches helps that tight area, any adjustable wrench will be a nightmare.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

OffGrid973

And one half of the bolt is threaded opposite the other to keep from loosening, just in case you didn't know that.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

alanh

white oak trailer decking

Farm29

Thanks for the photo help native wolf and it is persimmon it has the black streaks but there hard to see in the photo I've heard some will have more then others I guess depending on how or where they have grown it been prettier with more black. 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Farm29

I'm glad to hear this iv been cutting some oak and persimmon but hoping to do a job Saturday where the guy has some pine to saw
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Farm29 on November 07, 2017, 06:49:34 PM
I'm glad to hear this iv been cutting some oak and persimmon but hoping to do a job Saturday where the guy has some pine to saw
You will enjoy it !

Jim_Rogers

I just completed an order for a yacht yard. The wanted (50) pieces of 6x6x2' long.
Nice way to use up some junk logs.

While I was working on this yesterday, an electrician called me up and asked me if I had any "round" logs. I don't know what shape he thought that they came in. But I told him I did.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Kbeitz

This must be his back yard...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

rjwoelk

Started on my cut list for a timberfraned 17x36 firewood processing shed. Will house all the equipment out of the elements.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

Quote from: rjwoelk on November 08, 2017, 11:15:55 AM
Started on my cut list for a timberfraned 17x36 firewood processing shed. Will house all the equipment out of the elements.
This log was close to 48ft long 24 butt 22 top prior to cutting.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

But for now it appears that you are not "out of the elements".  ::)  Happy Sawing.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Yes it has come to stay. The sun came out and it was nice for a hr then clouded over again and cooled off.

Magicman

Yup, I wheelbarrow'ed firewood from the woodshed to the house today.  It's a bone chilling 57° here.  Burrrrr.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

The last job of the year on its wat to Ft Dodge Iowa

And a lazy log dog

Morri is an old sawyer from way back and likes the lumber off my Woodland Mill
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Roxie

Say when

Savannahdan

Just stayin' warm!  Is that a planer you're working with in the second picture?
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

4x4American

It was 23 here this am, but it became a beautiful sunny day whereas the day before was gloomy windy and cold and I had a hard time pressing the buttons on the sawmill on account of my hands having maybe some form of author-itis

Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

So 21 foot 4/4 X 9" Pondarosa fire kill.

That was one tight fit!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

goose63

That dog loves saw dust or planer shaveings

Yes the planer was trying to plug up

Morri said he will be back in the spring for more might have to get a bigger mill  8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fishfighter

For some reason, my dog loves saw dust too. >:( Maybe he just likes to be brushed off to be able to come inside the house. ;D

It looks like winter is setting in on all of you in the north. Had to swap over the ac to heat for the second time this fall. :( High today, 64F. Nippy here. :D

Magicman

I once sawed a job where the dog insisted on sleeping under the sawmill.  Move him out, turn your back, and he was immediately back.  Would not and did not move away from the sawmill.  The owner had no concern so we sawed.

I almost expected to see him following me in my rearview mirror when I left.   running-doggy

Thank You Sponsors!