iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

Pecan is valued in my hood for smoker wood. Imparts a LOVELY aroma to one's cooking, and isn't readily available. It's one of my favorite smoking fuels!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alanh

Had a pleasant change from ugly, blade dulling, low yield hardwoods. These pine pilings had snapped off at the base from the river ice a couple seasons ago. I wanted some heavy duty pressure treated framing to build a 65 ft railway/ramp. It was nice, strait, no bark, got 125 bd ft out of each in no time.

Deese

I just about worked myself to death dropping pine trees the past two days, gathering enough material to fill a large order for roof trusses.

I did manage to finish a white oak trailer decking order yesterday morning. The stack on the left are the flooring for the man's trailer. Many of the boards turned out very nice.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Brad_bb

Unfortunately MM, The bumpy cherry was not what I had hoped.  This was a be best piece in the base, but all the upper trunk was just plain cherry.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Well DanG, she was prettier when left to the imagination with her clothes on.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

No comment on that last statement. :D

I went out and cut up one 14' ash log out of my stock pile. Made 2" live edge slabs for benches and such. Cut one slab 3" then turned on edge and cut into 3X3s for bench legs. That ash was real hard and had an old blade that dived badly in the wide cut. Replaced with a sharp blade and it cut fine. Sure was pretty white sawdust coming off and pretty slabs.

Next cut a black heart (Wild sweet) cherry top into 3X3's for bench legs. Pretty red sawdust coming off that 4 degree double hard from it. About 220 bf total.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

nativewolf

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 18, 2017, 12:11:52 PM
Unfortunately MM, The bumpy cherry was not what I had hoped.  This was a be best piece in the base, but all the upper trunk was just plain cherry.

Well it is nice to see what it was like, too bad that's all there was.  Still you'll find something to do with some cherry.
Liking Walnut

Dave Shepard

Timbers for a timber framing workshop.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Deese

Just got back from looking at another saw job about 2 miles from my office. A quick 15 minute trip.
36" White oak, 2 other big white oak logs, and one small red oak. The big WO is about 12' long and I'm concerned that my loading arms will not be able to lift it. I may have to use the trick Magicman uses with the hydraulic clamp.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

There is no question in my mind that you will need to use the log clamp in tandem with the loader to keep the log snuggled against the loader's pivot/hinge point.  This greatly increases the loader's ability to pick heavy logs up.

That log will be heavy (over 5K lbs) and will exceed the stated lifting capability of your sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Concur.

I had to cut a big red oak log for a customer last month. The arms lifted it with no problem and the clamp slid it over against the side supports just fine but after a cut or two I had to rotate it as it exceeded max cut width on my machine. My claw alone would not turn it. I had to inch it up a little at the time with the claw and clamp until I got it turned square against the side supports. After another couple cuts I got the weight down enough the claw could handle it alone.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

When turning those "too" big logs, I lift with both the claw and the clamp.  Then lower the clamp and the weight of the log against the claw will slightly turn the log.  Do this multiple times until you inch it around to where you want it.  Be careful and don't go too far, because reverse turning that log will be very interesting.   :-\

Magicman

My "sawing job" this morning was interesting to say the least.  A truckload of ERC logs to be sawn ½" & ¾".  Not a problem?

At least not a problem until I saw that the truck's tailgate was closed!  :o  Well, he did say that they were short.   ;D

I reached into my resharp box and got the sharpest one.  It took an hour and he left a happy man.  I stuck $100 in my pocket and was happy too.

Tomorrow's logs are being felled, bucked, and staged today.  He said that they were the best that he has ever had, and that is making a huge statement, because he is a many times repeat customer.

Darrel

Ok MM, what are those evenly spaced marks on the wood that make it look like the wood was kissed by a big BBQ grill?

BTW, looks like you made a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WDH

OK, Lynn, with such a windfall, I expect you to take me out to dinner the next time that I see you.  Hmmmm, let me see, what do I want?  Crawfish?  Hmmm, fried catfish and hushpuppies?  Hmmmm.  OK, it will be the fried catfish and hushpuppies  ;D.  Just warning you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Quote from: WDH on September 20, 2017, 03:34:53 PM
OK, Lynn, with such a windfall, I expect you to take me out to dinner the next time that I see you.  Hmmmm, let me see, what do I want?  Crawfish?  Hmmm, fried catfish and hushpuppies?  Hmmmm.  OK, it will be the fried catfish and hushpuppies  ;D.  Just warning you  :D.

I think he is having goat...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Quote from: Darrel on September 20, 2017, 03:31:09 PM
Ok MM, what are those evenly spaced marks on the wood.....?
The LubeMizer was on.  Not needed, but on.

Oh My, you guys caught me with my pocket stuffed with cash and are scheming at how to take advantage of da old man.   :-\  Well OK, Catfish it is.  digin1

Well shame on me for not at least giving a choice of meals.

Delegacies such as Pickled Ring Bologna should be considered.

WDH

You have already hooked me with that.  One bitten, twice shy (old saying). 

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on September 20, 2017, 02:32:35 PMTomorrow's logs are being felled, bucked, and staged today.
As so often happens, the customer got the trees felled, most bucked, and none skidded.  He will finish that through the weekend and we are scheduled to saw Tuesday.

Jemclimber

Quote from: WDH on September 20, 2017, 03:34:53 PM

What???  No grits???    :D
lt15

rjwoelk

:D :D :D Back to eatin again. Good show guys.  :D :D :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

thecfarm

I would not be stating that!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bucknwfl

Andy and i cut some nice old slash yesterday. Made some beautiful 29" slabs 2" thick and a few 4" thick to be cut into mantle later

Thanks

Buck

If it was easy everybody would be doing it

fishfighter

Been some time for me to saw anything, but I was in need of some 2x6'er for my sawmill shack. Had a first today. :o Yep, hit a DanG nail. :o Bad thing was I had just resharpen that blade. :o

Other then that, the syp log produce 16 nice true 2x6'ers that are 16' long and some 4/4 boards that I need to edge.

And yes, I did split the pith about 1" off the side. And yes, only way to load and unload the slab was with my backhoe.

Thank You Sponsors!