iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: 4x4American on August 23, 2017, 04:18:14 PM
How come they both spell Delaware wrong is it an inside joke?

Yeah.... Often times when I'm out west and I tell people I'm from DelaWARE, they say oh, that's a county in PA, right?

::)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

coxy

is that a delivered price  ;D

WDH

Heck, I will let you have it for $2.75, but that does not include delivery  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grouch

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2017, 07:35:57 AM
Heck, I will let you have it for $2.75, but that does not include delivery  ;D.

Ahem. You might want to put a unit in there somewhere. Is that per stack or per truckload?
Find something to do that interests you.

LeeB

Got the seals changed in the tensioner and made it through one log before it blew again. Good thing I ordered extras.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

grouch

Quote from: LeeB on August 24, 2017, 01:05:42 PM
Got the seals changed in the tensioner and made it through one log before it blew again. Good thing I ordered extras.

That sounds abnormal.
What kind of pressure are you putting on those?

Magicman

Something is wrong Lee.  Is the piston pitted?  I turned my pitted piston around when I changed the seals.  I then ordered a new piston, but it's still in the wrapper and that was several years ago.  The turned around piston and new seals are still holding fine and I may have to add fluid every year. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on August 23, 2017, 04:23:27 PM
Since last Tuesday, I've been sawing some salvage beams of syp. The are mostly 12x12 but some 12x14" lengths vary from 16' to 21'.
I've been running 20 oz of Pinesol in my 5 gallon bucket of water for blade cleaning. Some timbers are fine and some load up the blade with pitch like you wouldn't believe.

Yesterday, I had the blade fall off the wheels. I put a new one on and while bringing up the tension it fell off the B57 belts, again. So, I figured it was about time to change them. The drive side was so tight from build up underneath the belt that I had to cut it to get it out/off. I cleaned out the pulley groove and put two new ones on.

New blade tracked fine, for a while.

Then the thing started jumping all around due to vibration. I figured I must have had some more build up in the groove.
I took the blade off and the belt had a bump in it from all the build up underneath.
I got the new belt off and then tried and tried to clean out the pitch build up in the groove.

I was having a very difficult time getting all the black pitch/tar/sawdust build up out.

Finally, I bored a hole through the guard side wall so I could put a screw driver in there and get to the spots where it was caked on. What a hard time it was.
After boring the hole, with some help from the crew chief of the customer, we put the screw driver in through the hole and ran the mill at high idle. The build up came flying out in small pieces but we managed to get it all clean in the groove. Both sides of the valley.

We couldn't get the guard side of the valley clean from the outside. That's why we bored the hole.

Now it is accessible to get the build up out. We had to be careful as the wheel has some "balance" holes drilled in it so that the screw driver didn't get caught in these holes.

I called WM tech and they said that's about the only way that they have ever done it, with a screw driver that is.

Has anyone ever came up with another method to clean out the build up?

Jim Rogers

Jim,

Your method looks just as good as any.  I had to clean some build up out of mine the other day while sawing some heart pine logs.  I engaged auto clutch briefly and turned the key off, so that the motor was raised just enough to get the tension off my drive belt.  That way I could turn the drive side band wheel by hand.  I used a 6 inch nail and rested the head on the inside of the guard wall, with the point of the nail in the pulley grove and spun the wheel counter clockwise by hand.  I was able to clear the build up that way with a little help from WD-40 as a solvent. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

WDH

Quote from: grouch on August 24, 2017, 07:38:42 AM
Ahem. You might want to put a unit in there somewhere. Is that per stack or per truckload?

Ahem...  If I was a box store, that would be in units of lineal feet for 4" wide stock.  Since, I am not, and I am a reasonable guy (if I say so myself), I would charge you simply $2.75 per board foot, but that does include kiln drying to 8% and planing to 1 & 1/4" thick.  For the glaciated and softwood wood density impaired in the Northern climes, that is a stellar deal  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

Thanks NCsawyer.

Well, today I finished the last timber they brought me. There are some 3x stuff in my yard that I think they're going to ask me tomorrow to saw into flooring.

To date 38 timbers milled. I measured each one and recorded their size, in order to do a waste recovery report. Lots of them were 12x12" and 12x14" I figured the timbers by the actual size width, thickness and length including "trim" in lengths, as these were salvage beams. Most were 16'+ but some were 20'+ a few 18's and 21's
Total beams cut 8123.32 bdft. Hours 38.15 includes scanning each timber all four sides and both ends for nails/hardware. Only a few didn't have nails that the crew missed. Crew pulled all hardware, not my crew the customer's crew.
Cost figured to be 53 cents per boardfoot.
Lumber including some 6x6 timbers, 8x12 beams and 1" flooring netted 5696.48 bdft. That is 70.13 % of total. Waste was 29.87 % which was sides trimmed off timbers in order to true them up and make them consistent size for flooring or beams and sawdust from cuts. 

Advice to others.
Scan every timber with your own scanner yourself. Do not take their word for it being clean of hardware.

Run heavy lube to keep blade clean as possible at every cut.

Plan on doing one beam per sharp blade, 25 minutes to 1 hour at most. Have lots of sharp blades on hand.

Do not cut through the painted surface. Cut through the un-painted surface and then roll 3 times until cut face is side that the blade enters regardless of 90° corners. All flooring will be re-milled and tongue and grooved anyhow so it doesn't matter if the sides are true 90° corners.
Do not skim cut across a painted surface. It will dull your blade in less than 3'. Minimum depth cut 1/4" or more depending on twist in timber.

Cut slow to keep blade on line. Old dry timbers are hard and defects can direct the blade off your cut line.

I cautioned the customer's project manager that these "painted" timbers maybe painted with lead paint.
Using my pail sawdust recovery system we collected every cut through the painted surfaces into the pail and bagged up this sawdust for the customer to haul out, should it be lead paint sawdust. Cuts through a none painted surfaces the sawdust was added to my regular pile, to be hauled out at a later date, to be used at fuel at the electrical power plant that burns wood chips and sawdust.

Get paid for your time and good luck.

Jim Rogers

8x12 timber and lifting clamp rig used by customer's crew to unload and load timbers from truck to ground and mill to trailer.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

grouch

Jim_Rogers:

That's at least some beautiful wood for all that work!

rjwoelk

Just a couple of pics of what my crooked logs are doing. Took 3 logs to get some good posts and knee braces.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

LeeB

The seal was still ok. just inverted the lip. I had the piston block in backward and there was no support for the back of the seal next to the rod. all is good for now. Sawed several cedars into 2x6's of varying lengths and some 2x4's. Not what I would normally do with cedar but I need a place to put my cows closer to home until I can get some fencing up and the neighbor needs cedar 2x material. I need to get it sawed up and out of the horse pen anyway so 2x's it is with a little bit of 1x on the side.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

Jim would say 30% [more or less] waste in  resawing Beams, Old or new?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 24, 2017, 09:12:02 PM
Jim would say 30% [more or less] waste in  resawing Beams, Old or new?

The were salvage beam, so old I guess. Finished the last 11 planks this morning 3x stock cut to two 1" boards. all 12" wide.

Everyone was happy and they hauled out all the waste as well as the flooring.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I got a call a couple of days ago from a customer wanting to know how much I would charge for sawing a Pecan log.  I did not give him a quick answer but instead kept asking questions trying to figure the situation out.  During the conversation he finally told me that he was a High School Senior and wanted the lumber to do woodworking.  I never would answer his pricing question but told him that we would work something out.  Imagine his surprise when I drove up and showed him another surprise.

About 80bf of Cherry lumber that I had paid to have sawn before I bought my sawmill. 

It has been stickered in the back of my shop for 16 years and showed 14% moisture content.  I figured that he could use it.  Now he is really wondering what I am up to and how much this is going to cost him???

My young customer with his Pecan log.

As is normal with Pecan, he got some pretty stuff.

I sawed some various thicknesses with some live edge.

My young customer when I told him that there was no charge for anything.  The sawing was free and so was the Cherry lumber.  He said, "well I will have to build you something".  I said "fine, build Pat something.  Doesn't matter what, just whatever you decide".  He was a very happy young man.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

Lynn,

Great picture and great story!  Do you tow your mill with the cover over the engine?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Magicman

Yes, I tow with all of the covers on.

WV Sawmiller

MM

That sure was a pretty blue Logrite that kid was holding but I digress...

Glad you could help. I figure anything we can do to help our youth stay gainfully occupied is time and money well spent.

I drove to a site 51 miles away to look at a whack of logs. Looks like maybe a week worth of work and I will start Monday. Mostly Hemlock, some pine that expect will be full of worms but he says okay as he can use it for sheeting (Maybe he can make Eustace Conway "Mountain Man" $3500 farm tables) and I saw a little tulip poplar. He has a kennel full of good looking Walker bear dogs. He also has to kill a nest of yellow jackets in the sawdust between some of the old logs and move a dead car out of the way. Will be interesting.

I have never tried towing my mill with the cover on. I don't even tie cover down with the bungee straps. Yours may be a tighter fit than mine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

It is my understanding that the "full head" cover needs/has to be removed for travel. 

My covers are individual for each component and all secure firmly with no flapping.  They have traveled thousands of miles. 

Bruno of NH

MM that's paying it forward :)
I like helping out young people
It makes me feel young :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

MM,Another nice thing you have done.
You just might have started something. Again!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

ill bet he told all his friends   that was a great thing you done  the world needs more people like you 

Thank You Sponsors!