iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have not had any problem using a chain, but the choker might work OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

My hook is connected to a 2' piece of 1/4" chain and yesterday i was using 2-6' X1/4" chains with hooks on each end. That worked good for taking the slack out but I was concerned about the scarring the cylinder and figured the choker is softer and less abrasive but it may have too much stretch. If so I will retire it to my ATV for hauling logs around the yard and just use the chains.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My go-to chains are ΒΌ" grade 43.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I use nylon chokers for lots of things
I load big logs on my mill with them hanging from my forks
It set the log down softly
I don't think they stretch much
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2017, 02:34:23 PM
Howard, always lower your log clamp to the lowest position before wrapping that chain so that the links will not damage the round bar or hydraulic cylinder.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Sawed 1200 bf of White Pine for a friend and neighbor.He is one of my son's best friends and does my welding and is my source for a big trailer when I need it plus he recently brought me 3 walnut logs so he got a good bargain. He is going to build a cooler to chill beef, pork and deer. If like everything else he owns, it will be open to the public. His dad was there most of the day and we had a great time sawing and visiting with them. His 13 y/o nephew was my new helper Saturday. He worked good and the customer doubled the agreed pay for him and he was a happy little boy but he was a good, hard worker.

Less than 2 miles from home and able to finish and gset home in plenty of time to unload and that is the kind of jobs I enjoy.

Sorry - I left my camera at home so no picture.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2017, 02:40:20 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 20, 2017, 12:48:39 PMThe bad thing is there are people in this world who are currently exceeding the legal limit of Logrites and even when they unexpectedly obtain another one they don't share with us the underprivileged.
And the two Blue 60" Logrites came from attending a Pig Roast.  Need I say more?
MM a few of use was talking this weekend about all the blue tools you have

Delawhere Jack

Black cherry. Small logs, but really good quality. Only milled 5 hours today, will return Thurs to complete job. Tree was dropped yesterday. It's a rare treat to mill such fresh logs.

It's nice to get a break from milling walnut all the time...  :D

Magicman

So here is a wave back.   smiley_wavy

coxy, I ain't sharing.   :-X

Delawhere Jack

That's the client MM, not me. But he told me to say Howdy! He actually looks a bit like me. Same size, same gray hair, probably 10 years older....

smiley_wavy

So... wanna know what the kicker is on this job?.. The client plans to use that cherry to build run in sheds for sheep they plan to get next year..... :o

Magicman

Oh I knew it wasn't you John, 'cause I have a picture of your mug.   :D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on August 22, 2017, 10:53:02 PM
Oh I knew it wasn't you John, 'cause I have a picture of your mug.   :D

You should just stash that away with any pictures of your feet.... or pictures of any goats you may have. They may scare children or women folk...  ;D

grouch

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 22, 2017, 10:47:23 PM

So... wanna know what the kicker is on this job?.. The client plans to use that cherry to build run in sheds for sheep they plan to get next year..... :o

NOOOOOO! Trade him some scruffy oak or something! That cherry needs to be a desk, cupboard, dining table, secretary, candle stand, etc.!

Find something to do that interests you.

WDH

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 22, 2017, 10:14:50 PM
It's nice to get a break from milling walnut all the time...  :D

You are killin' me  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Since you were so descriptive, maybe we will let others judge for themselves.

DelawhereJoe, Gspren, myself, and Delawhere Jack. 

50 Acre Jim

What a handsome bunch of sawyers!
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

4x4American

How come they both spell Delaware wrong is it an inside joke?
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

Since last Tuesday, I've been sawing some salvage beams of syp. The are mostly 12x12 but some 12x14" lengths vary from 16' to 21'.
I've been running 20 oz of Pinesol in my 5 gallon bucket of water for blade cleaning. Some timbers are fine and some load up the blade with pitch like you wouldn't believe.

Yesterday, I had the blade fall off the wheels. I put a new one on and while bringing up the tension it fell off the B57 belts, again. So, I figured it was about time to change them. The drive side was so tight from build up underneath the belt that I had to cut it to get it out/off. I cleaned out the pulley groove and put two new ones on.

New blade tracked fine, for a while.

Then the thing started jumping all around due to vibration. I figured I must have had some more build up in the groove.
I took the blade off and the belt had a bump in it from all the build up underneath.
I got the new belt off and then tried and tried to clean out the pitch build up in the groove.

I was having a very difficult time getting all the black pitch/tar/sawdust build up out.

Finally, I bored a hole through the guard side wall so I could put a screw driver in there and get to the spots where it was caked on. What a hard time it was.
After boring the hole, with some help from the crew chief of the customer, we put the screw driver in through the hole and ran the mill at high idle. The build up came flying out in small pieces but we managed to get it all clean in the groove. Both sides of the valley.

We couldn't get the guard side of the valley clean from the outside. That's why we bored the hole.

Now it is accessible to get the build up out. We had to be careful as the wheel has some "balance" holes drilled in it so that the screw driver didn't get caught in these holes.

I called WM tech and they said that's about the only way that they have ever done it, with a screw driver that is.

Has anyone ever came up with another method to clean out the build up?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

4x4American

Put steel wheels on lol

Asides from that I use a straight O-Ring pick
Boy, back in my day..

LeeB

Started out milling ERC on Monday and was about 2/3 of the way through an opening cut when I noticed the blade tension was low, right at the same time it shucked a brand new blade. put on another blade only to discover my tensioner had blown a seal. Tried to fix it with an o-ring but no such luck. 2 new seal kits should be here this afternoon.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coxy

I thought band mills never broke down  :-X ;D

4x4American

Quote from: coxy on August 23, 2017, 07:20:22 PM
I thought band mills never broke down  :-X ;D

And here I thought bandmills only broke down!! lol
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Sawing some SYP.  Quartersawed some for some 5/4" farm table tops.  Very pretty vertical grain.  Really nice stuff.

Also sawed some 5/4" live edge "shelf boards".

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

That vertical grain pine looks GOOD!!  thumbs-up

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on August 23, 2017, 04:23:27 PM
Since last Tuesday, I've been sawing some salvage beams of syp. The are mostly 12x12 but some 12x14" lengths vary from 16' to 21'.
I've been running 20 oz of Pinesol in my 5 gallon bucket of water for blade cleaning. Some timbers are fine and some load up the blade with pitch like you wouldn't believe.

Yesterday, I had the blade fall off the wheels. I put a new one on and while bringing up the tension it fell off the B57 belts, again. So, I figured it was about time to change them. The drive side was so tight from build up underneath the belt that I had to cut it to get it out/off. I cleaned out the pulley groove and put two new ones on.

New blade tracked fine, for a while.

Then the thing started jumping all around due to vibration. I figured I must have had some more build up in the groove.
I took the blade off and the belt had a bump in it from all the build up underneath.
I got the new belt off and then tried and tried to clean out the pitch build up in the groove.

I was having a very difficult time getting all the black pitch/tar/sawdust build up out.

Finally, I bored a hole through the guard side wall so I could put a screw driver in there and get to the spots where it was caked on. What a hard time it was.
After boring the hole, with some help from the crew chief of the customer, we put the screw driver in through the hole and ran the mill at high idle. The build up came flying out in small pieces but we managed to get it all clean in the groove. Both sides of the valley.

We couldn't get the guard side of the valley clean from the outside. That's why we bored the hole.

Now it is accessible to get the build up out. We had to be careful as the wheel has some "balance" holes drilled in it so that the screw driver didn't get caught in these holes.

I called WM tech and they said that's about the only way that they have ever done it, with a screw driver that is.

Has anyone ever came up with another method to clean out the build up?

Jim Rogers

Never had any major issues with build up under the belts, but I'll store that tip away in the memory bank.

Thank You Sponsors!